best fighter

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Milo Milo

Default best fighter

whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Milo Milo" wrote in message
whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

For pure won't give up ever fight... bluegill or carp.

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

Pound for pound, Bluegill on light tackle, but the most sought after on
medium tackle, would be the smallmouth, caught about anywhere.
If you really want some fun, and want to catch something that pulls like a
P.O.d bull, go carp fishing in a river system near you with corn. sportfish
though, it truly is hard to beat a Smallie.

Just my opinion,

Doug

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

I agree with bluegill relative to size. Limited experience with rainbows
suggest they should be high on the list, as, of course, smallies must be.
Carp are great if you like something strong that'll make your reel sing.

Old January 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

"Milo Milo" wrote in message

whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river- Hide quoted text -

We have had the bluegill vs bass discussion here before. I interviewed
a fisheries biologists about that - he was not aware of any studies of
which is stronger, but said based on his knowledge and experience a
bass will outpull a bluegill the same size. I wrote and article on it
if anyone is interested in details.

http://fishing.about.com/od/fishingo...vsbluegill.htm

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
MoiMoi

In article , milo460
@webtv.net says...
whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

Skipjack on light tackle not to be sneezed at, especially in swift
water.

MM
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Ronnie wrote:

We have had the bluegill vs bass discussion here before. I interviewed
a fisheries biologists about that - he was not aware of any studies of
which is stronger, but said based on his knowledge and experience a
bass will outpull a bluegill the same size. I wrote and article on it
if anyone is interested in details.

It's a different pull, and fight,, at least it is to me, the blue gills
seam faster, as they cut back and forth, the bass is a little stronger
but not near the speed in their cuts.

I catch a lot of bass and bream at the same time, on the same rod and
lures, usually a 9 1/2 foot steel head rod from St Croix, that long rod
shows bend differences a lot better than a stiffer short one. I can
always tell if it is a bass or a big bream, before I see the fish on
that rod

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

MoiMoi wrote:
In article , milo460
@webtv.net says...
whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

Skipjack on light tackle not to be sneezed at, especially in swift
water.

MM

Well I tell you,, they are about the most fun you can have fishing when
your in them,, that fresh water TARPON, is just a BLAST on light tackle

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RATMAN

On Jan 15, 5:09*am, (Milo Milo) wrote:
whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

I've caught a ton of hard fighting smallies, but the peacock bass puts
them to shame !!!
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

best fighter

(Milo*Milo)

whats the best fresh water fighting fish excluding the musky family my
opinion is a small mouth bass caught in a river

========

I believe you have to take into consideration the type of tackle you are
using also. It's my experience that matching tackle to the type fishing
you are doing is what makes the "fight".

When I see people wenching a fish in on heavy tackle, it reminds me of
the story Jerry Clowers use to tell about coon hunting...."We give the
coon a fighting chance, we climb the tree and knock the coon out....now
when he hits the ground, if he can whip up on those eight coon dogs, he
is welcome to just walk away!"

I have always used the lightest tackle I felt necessary for the fishing
I was doing. "Wenching" fish in was never my thing, but I can understand
tournament fishermen doing that when the big bucks are on the line (no
pun intended"!

I have also noticed, that time of year and just the individual fish make
a difference too...I actually tend to remember the individual "toughies"
I've caught. A 5 lb. bass I caught in the inlet to Tims Ford in Tn. will
always be a memory....light tackle, fast moving water, and a "lady" that
was determined!

Having said all that, I guess I would have to pick the smallie also.

John B