Power Pro on a spinning outfit??

Old April 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Default Power Pro on a spinning outfit??

I am finesse fishing around lots of structure in low-vis water with 4"
Fluttercraft worms.
The best setup so far that I have found is a med-med/hvy spinning rod
6.5-7feet.
15 pound Power Pro (4lb dia.) with a direct tied (uni-uni) 5 foot leader
of 10-12lb fluorocarbon.
I then use a tungsten 1/8oz bullet and small bead with a #1 Owner
'rig-n-hook'.
Sometimes I will peg the weight and bead up 18" but most times I peg the
weight only about 3" up.
Sometimes I d-shot these worms with a baitcaster and 12 pound line.

Anyway...back to my original question.
I don't have a lot of experience with braid on spinning. It gets knots
up the line just "out of the blue".
I am assuming these are line twists that knot up.
Would letting line out behind the boat and re-reeling it back on help
untwist it?
It seems "dry" when using it. Should I wet it first or is there a line
conditioner that helps?

Thanks in advance!

Old April 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

I can't really answer your questions, but I use 15# Power Pro on three Daiwa
2500-size reels and don't have the problems you describe. I don't wet it or
condition it or use a leader.

Old April 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Dan wrote:
Where are the knots? Do you close your bail by hand?

They are appear about 10 feet from the leader knot.
Yes I close by hand.

I am going to try letting line out behind the boat to untwist it.

thanks
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz[_2_]

I saw a show on TV with Byron Velvick, he had a way to un twist line by
leaving on nothing more than the sinker and hook, casting it as far as you
could and winding it back in quickly, after 3-4 times of doing this the
twists are gone. I've done it and it works, I use a 4 inch dead ringer and
small bullet sinkers.

Mike

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl [email protected]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:20:26 -0700, SHRED wrote:

Dan wrote:
Where are the knots? Do you close your bail by hand?

They are appear about 10 feet from the leader knot.
Yes I close by hand.

I am going to try letting line out behind the boat to untwist it.

thanks

Have someone watch you cast. Could your line be hitting the first
guide? I had that happen with a rod Steve and I think the first guide
is too small on.

Gotta change it one of these days.

Dan, I finally moved to Florida!

-

Remove the X for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
davew

Also remember when you spool up lay the spool FLAT so that the line is
coming off of the spool counterclockwise as you wind it onto the reel
this drastically reduces line twist on ALL lines mono and super lines.
also you can give your line a quick blast every 60 or so casts with
blakemore rel magic to keep the coils down

www.basslurereviews.com

Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"SHRED" wrote in message SNIP

Anyway...back to my original question.
I don't have a lot of experience with braid on spinning. It gets knots up
the line just "out of the blue".
I am assuming these are line twists that knot up.
Would letting line out behind the boat and re-reeling it back on help
untwist it?
It seems "dry" when using it. Should I wet it first or is there a line
conditioner that helps?

Thanks in advance!

I use a lot of PowerPro on spinning tackle, usually 8 or 10 pound and simply
tie the line direct to the lure without the leader. About the only time I
experience knots as you're describing is when fishing a fluke type lure.
Then, maybe if I've been fishing flukes extensively for a week or so, I will
let the line out behind the boat without any hooks, sinkers or anything else
and drag it behind the boat while I'm on the trolling motor to a different
spot.

You can also get rid of line twist once home too. Simply tie a good ball
bearing snap on to the line and attach it to something solid. Then let out
a bunch of line and with the drag cranked down, simply rewind the line back
onto the reel. This will get the twist out too.

The line is supposed to be "dry". The Spectra fibers the line is made of
will not absorb water, although some will get trapped between the fibers.
Do NOT apply any line conditioner to it. All that does is create a gummy
condition which will attract and hold grit and grime, which can wear on the
fibers of the line, weakening it.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com