Whitewater and salmon

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Whitewater and salmon

Joanne and I took the entire family (14) to Lakewood for a long
week-end. Taught my grand-daughter-in-law how to cast, and the two
oldest grandsons caught some nice salmon on Harry's Caddis Killer. I
was happy to see that they had not forgotten how to get a drag-free
drift, and the importance of a proper presentation, including mending.

On Friday afternoon they opened the dam to 1600 cfs and after some
shore talk on safety, paddling, etc, we got on the water in two rafts.
Great drift down to Pond in the River. I haven't fished Horse Chop, or
Chub's Pool in a number of years, but after seeing them again, I *will*
fish them in the future.

The paddle across Pond in the River took about 30 minutes, including
the water fights. We (our raft) was armed with 4 good waterpistols.
Unfortunately, the grandkids were armed with four small buckets. They
won.

The float from Lower Dam to Cedar Stump was fantastic. I definitely
will fish Long Pool and Cold Spring Pool on my next visit. There were
big smiles on everyone's face as we stopped at Smooth Ledge for lunch
and were entertained by kayakers riding the standing wave and doing
tricks in it.

All adult grandchildren and one son-in-law were knocked out of the
rafts going thru Hedge Hog (a very steep drop in the river). No
injuries, however, except for a scratch or two.

Big party on the beach that night (after prime rib and apply pie for
dinner) with a giant camp fire built by Whit the camp owner.

I was pleasantly surprised that fishing was so good. There was rumor
that a very large brookie was taking flies from the surface, but I
didn't see him. We caught only salmon from 12 to 17 inches. It was a
hoot to see my 10 yo grandson reeling in a good size salmon. He almost
lost the rod a couple of times. Will have to take him next year.

Dave (who is now wearing hearing aids.)

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"D. LaCourse" wrote in message
Joanne and I took the entire family (14) to Lakewood for a long week-end.

sounds like an idyllic journey.

i truly hope to get to lakewood for this projected clave in the near future.

yfitons
wayno

Old August 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-08-09 15:34:12 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"D. LaCourse" wrote in message
Joanne and I took the entire family (14) to Lakewood for a long week-end.

sounds like an idyllic journey.

i truly hope to get to lakewood for this projected clave in the near future.

yfitons
wayno

Well, so far it is you, me, and Jeffie, plus any women we can roust up. d;o)

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

"D. LaCourse" wrote in message
[...]

A bit late reading this Dave - sounds like a fabulous family day out I
said.... SOUNDS LIKE A FABULOUS FAMILY DAY OUT !

Bill

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

On 2011-08-09 15:34:12 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"D. LaCourse" wrote in message
Joanne and I took the entire family (14) to Lakewood for a long
week-end.

sounds like an idyllic journey.

i truly hope to get to lakewood for this projected clave in the near
future.

yfitons
wayno

Well, so far it is you, me, and Jeffie, plus any women we can roust up.
d;o)

Dave

Go for it guys - you'll surely have anothe great time

I'll be thinking of you

Bill