In that Sweet Country . . .

Old September 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Default In that Sweet Country . . .

Jeff, you got it as a gift a year ago last June, and I immediately ordered
it from Amazon. Middleton will never win the Pulitzer but I so enjoyed
'Earth is Enough' which you recommended, so I bought "In that Sweet
Country."

I saved it....I read the first story..or article if you will - it being a
collection of his writings for magazines - on the plane to the Philippines.
I read the last one yesterday.

I have read it on the plane...by the sea...on the porch...at the park...on
mountain tops before sunset...savoring each one like fine aged wine.
Laughs...I took a year and two weeks to read that book.

Middleton had one article on cane rods...the feeding and care of bamboo if
you will, and THAT is how I treated that book. When the day was right, when
the mood was right....when the weather was right...I took that trusted book
off the shelf and went to where my heart lead me to read just one more
article. My boarding pass out of LAX was is my bookmark.

Now I read a lot of books...and now I read them on my computer.....I really
want an e-book reader. I read John Grisham and Robert B. Parker but I just
can't imagine having the feel of the book....marking the pages....placing it
on the shelf for future use with some flat electronic device.

The internet and it's electronic devices....Frank Zappa and his 'devices'
have changed the world....

John

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Church[_12_]

"john b" wrote in
:

Now I read a lot of books...and now I read them on my computer.....I
really want an e-book reader. I read John Grisham and Robert B. Parker
but I just can't imagine having the feel of the book....marking the
pages....placing it on the shelf for future use with some flat
electronic device.

The internet and it's electronic devices....Frank Zappa and his
'devices' have changed the world....

Good read John. I bought a Kindle earlier this year and have read a ton
of books on it by now and still have many to go,and enjoy it immensely.
But there is something about holding and reading a real book that's
missing with these new fangled reading devices. Pretty hard to dogear a
page and make annotations in the margins with a Kindle.

Frank Sr.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

i bought the kindle, then the nook. neither replace books imo, but they
are convenient and allow a relatively inexpensive purchase of good (and
bad) literature. Rachel doesn't drive anymore and she has difficulty
getting around, so our trips to bookstores together have stopped...she
never got into buying online, but she can download a book from the
comfort of home using the kindle or nook and seems to like it. i still
prefer a book...leave one or two in the toilet, a couple by the bed,
etc. hard to do that with the computer or kindle.

the earth is enough is middleton's best imo. there is a small volume of
collected short pieces you would like...."rivers of memory"...and if you
see wayne knight again, he has the only copy of "the starlight creek
angling society" i've ever seen...also worth a read.

jeff