march madness #1

Old March 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM
Jeff Miller

Default march madness #1

go trout fishing in the nc mountains as a cold, wet front moves in and
the ncaa tournament is beginning? pure madness...but, uh, as my
intellect and ability seem best suited for wrong-headed pursuits, off i
went at 4 am last thursday.

it was raining as i left...oh well, i've fished in the rain before. at
some point, as dark loses the fight to the sin-revealing illumination of
the morning light... near greensboro, of course...i drove into the
insanity of i-40, snow & sleet pelting the minions of fellow freeway
miscreants. damn, sez i, gone too far to turn around, plus i'd never
withstand the "i told you so's" awaiting in greenville (not to mention
the faint whispers of "cold and old" woven into the foggy gray chill of
guilford county)...onward!

guilford and forsyth county from the vantage of i-40 aren't what one
would describe as pleasing or soul-elevating scenery on the best of
days, and not even the baptism of the snow's white blanket provides
sufficient forgiveness. however, if the macabre world of car wrecks and
fearless driving are of interest, there's no better place to get a
stage-side seat.

as one of those with a dearth of sense and an abundance of divine
guidance, i successfully navigated my way around the slip-sliders and
over the icy highway to morganton and wally's shop. the devil himself
greeted me, enticed me out of more dollars than budgeted for some
well-deserved items (he actually...i sweartogawd...sold me the vest off
his back...said it had only been worn 3 times), and sent me
freshly-hypnotized out the door, up the mountain, to the soul-enriching
and cleansing of the blue ridge streams.

for those who haven't yet met greg l., the owner and operator of the
"optimistic rv park, cabins, and lodge" (no-kidding), well, he's a
former charter boat captain, owner of a home in cuba, and from
somedamnwhere in the midwest...but hospitable, entertaining, and as fine
a renegade landlord in burke county as you're apt to find. it's only my
third visit, but i've never felt like greg was anything other than a
friend from the moment of our first meeting. greg's place is at the
confluence of steele and upper creeks. pleasant spot... close enough to
the trout in the grandfather mountain watersheds and to the pagans of
the watering holes in morganton.

tom brown, indian joe, and i settled into the lafoon lodge. a
single-story house with 4 bedrooms, big kitchen, and huge gathering
living room with fireplace. on this day, greg drove over to hickory
just to buy a 32-inch screen tv so we could better enjoy the delights of
ncaa tournament. as i said, hospitable.

joe and i drove up to a vista above upper creek (photo posted on abpf).
uh oh. snow cold. time to go back to the lodge, start a fire, and
commence soul-warming. fortunately greg had started a fire and tom had
brought the nourishment. i brought a hearty appetite and a soul in
need. tomorrow's another day for those of us with an optimist's gift,
or, as in my case, a fool's mind. it felt good to be in the blue ridge,
even in the madness of march (to be continued...and yes, 'tripper, there
are fish and streams ahead...honest g...photos posted on abpf)
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Tim J.

Jeff Miller wrote:
go trout fishing in the nc mountains as a cold, wet front moves in and
the ncaa tournament is beginning? pure madness...

snip

As the photos on abpf reveal, not ALL madness as it turns out. Very nice
report and photos, Jeff. The shots of the falls are especially appealing
to me.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
DaveMohnsen

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message
go trout fishing in the nc mountains as a cold, wet front moves in and
the ncaa tournament is beginning? pure madness...but, uh, as my
intellect and ability seem best suited for wrong-headed pursuits, off i
went at 4 am last thursday.

Hi Jeff,
Oh . . .sure . . .first I saw the photos on ABPF and said to self . . .self,
these folks are dedicated to get out in the snow hoping for sun, and found
some. Now I find out you were staying in a mansion, with "creature"
comforts. That is disgustin' I tell ya', absolutely disgustin'. . . .cool.
And ya got a lot of "rocks" there too. Heck . . .I gotta go a few miles
before I can find rocks around here
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old March 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Mike Connor

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message
go trout fishing in the nc mountains as a cold, wet front moves in and

SNIP
Yeah well, may indeed be madness, but the nicest kind. Shame I canīt see
the pictures.

TL
MC

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Jeff Miller" wrote

it felt good to be in the blue ridge,
even in the madness of march (to be continued...and yes, 'tripper, there
are fish and streams ahead...honest g...photos posted on abpf)

who'd a thunk it. beautiful browns. had to be wilson's creek, high up.
have you ever seen a clearer stream, no matter what the time of year? i
sweartagod that in september the water becomes so clear it disappears. just
looks like the streambed rocks are wet, not under water.

yfitp
wayno

what did you catch them on?

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Jeff

actually...the fish were all caught in another creek that flows into
lost cove. it's a spot you would like i think. while we raised three
fish in Wilson's, none were brought to hand or camera there. the water
in Wilson's is still too cold imo (around 40 in the upper stretches) and
the fish aren't looking up. The stream where we caught the fish was 6
degrees warmer and there were actual hatches observed with rising fish.
Mark and i, then Chris and i fished about a mile of stream and never
saw another fisherman.

but you're right, Wilson's is currently clearer than any see-through
you've poured lately. g

jeff

"Jeff Miller" wrote

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:29 PM
Jeff

mike...sorry about that...is it the size of them or that you don't get
abpf? i'll be happy to send some e-mail if you don't have size limits
or time concerns... photos are nothing great.

jeff

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Jeff

DaveMohnsen wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Oh . . .sure . . .first I saw the photos on ABPF and said to self . . .self,
these folks are dedicated to get out in the snow hoping for sun, and found
some.

well...you shoulda been with me when i was snow plowing i-40, dodging
the lunatics, at 6:30 am...talk about dedication!

Now I find out you were staying in a mansion, with "creature"
comforts. That is disgustin' I tell ya', absolutely disgustin'. . . .cool.

while not a mansion, greg's little rv park and "lodge" is quite
comfortable, especially for a gaggle of geezers like us. we do
"disgustin" (along with some "absolute" with tonic water) quite well
actually...perhaps one day you'll join us.

And ya got a lot of "rocks" there too. Heck . . .I gotta go a few miles
before I can find rocks around here

beats traveling 250 miles i guess... but i've never regretted the effort.

jeff
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:50 PM
William Claspy

On 3/21/05 2:29 PM, in article
, "Jeff"
wrote:

mike...sorry about that...is it the size of them or that you don't get
abpf? i'll be happy to send some e-mail if you don't have size limits
or time concerns... photos are nothing great.

Mike-

Also note that, with some time delay, pictures posted to abpf can be viewed
at http://www.usenet-replayer.com

I just looked at 'em there. Nice bit o' water, Jeff!

Bill

jeff

Old March 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM
Jeff Miller

Tim J. wrote:

Jeff Miller wrote:

go trout fishing in the nc mountains as a cold, wet front moves in and
the ncaa tournament is beginning? pure madness...

snip

As the photos on abpf reveal, not ALL madness as it turns out. Very nice
report and photos, Jeff. The shots of the falls are especially appealing
to me.

those falls are in a pretty place indeed...if you pass through the area,
wally knows the spot. i recommend it.

jeff