TR: My cabin in the hills of Caroline (final installment w/fish picture)

Old June 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Conan The Librarian

Default TR: My cabin in the hills of Caroline (final installment w/fish picture)

Friday:

My last day, and since I've caught fish everywhere I've been except
for B*g Sn*wb*rd (and since I'm a stubborn *******), I decided to give
it another try. The knee was holding up fine, so the plan was to hike
up to the lower falls and fish that area.

Passed three flyfishers on the way. One was the toothless guy from
Deliverance (and packing a pistol), and the others looked fairly normal.
They must have thought I knew something abou the area, because they
asked me where the best fishing was. (I told them it was below Junction
;-). We exchanged pleasnatries and I continued on, keeping an eye on
my back until I was out of gunshot range. ;-)

Up to S*ss*fr*ss in about 55 minutes, and in another 20 heard what
sounded like a real waterfall. I found a really obvious path down to
the water, and slid my way down, coming out at the top of a nice falls
and just below two pretty pools and another smaller falls.
(http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/snowbirdfalls01.jpg) Without giving too
much more detail (Jeffy already knows where this is, I'm sure ... and
Wayno too), I fished the lower pool and despite screwing up a couple of
casts (immediate drag in the eddies), I was fortunate enough to have a
nice brown (12"+) jump all over my offering. He was a bulldog, but was
kind enough to pose for a photo: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg

I fished the next pool with no luck and thought about scaling the
falls, but figured I'd wait and do that when there's someone with me to
scrape my remains up off the rocks below. (Do you guys just go up the
face of the rocks on the left there or what?)

Returned to the car, drank the best beer I've ever had, scoped out
the Little Sn*b*rd a bit and was back at the house to pack up for my
flight out on Saturday.

On my way out on Saturday I snapped one last shot:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cove.jpg

Thanks to all who gave me advice, and tolerated my dumb questions.
It was the fishing trip of a lifetime for this old liberrian, and I hope
to do it again soon. :-) It's beautiful country with lovely, strong
fish, and I hope to explore much more of it.

Chuck Vance
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian wrote:
snip
It's beautiful country with lovely,
strong fish, and I hope to explore much more of it.

Wow. That was great. Thanks for taking the time, Chuck.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Conan The Librarian" wrote
(snip)

I was fortunate enough to have a
nice brown (12"+) jump all over my offering. He was a bulldog, but was
kind enough to pose for a photo: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg

nice! that's about as big a fish as one can expect that high on
snowbird.

I fished the next pool with no luck and thought about scaling the
falls, but figured I'd wait and do that when there's someone with me to
scrape my remains up off the rocks below. (Do you guys just go up the
face of the rocks on the left there or what?)

i *think* that's what we used to do. it's been more than ten years
since i've been up that high.

It's beautiful country with lovely, strong
fish, and I hope to explore much more of it.

thanks for those thoughts. i would enjoy helping you out, next time
around.

yfitons
wayno (and hellfire, the boy didn't even see the best of it...)

Old June 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"Conan The Librarian" wrote
I fished the next pool with no luck and thought about scaling the
falls, but figured I'd wait and do that when there's someone with me to
scrape my remains up off the rocks below. (Do you guys just go up the
face of the rocks on the left there or what?)

i *think* that's what we used to do. it's been more than ten years
since i've been up that high.

I've never even considered it. I go back up to the trail
and hike above Big Falls until the trail branches, the
west branch goes up a hill towards Middle Falls and the
east branch crosses Snowbird to three campsites, the
second of which has the remains of an old bridge across
Snowbird. I take the east branch, wade in just above the
old bridge and fish up from there. All native brookies
above Big Falls.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Friday:

My last day, ...
snip
Returned to the car, drank the best beer I've ever had, ...

Oh well, I guess it takes longer than five days to work
your way up to a Budweiser. ;-)

It's beautiful country with lovely, strong fish,
and I hope to explore much more of it.

You said that exactly right. Thanks for the TR.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM
William Claspy

On 6/27/05 12:20 PM, in article , "Conan The
Librarian" wrote:

Friday:

My last day

snip

Nicely done set of reports, my bookish brother!

Bill

Old June 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Friday:

My last day,

snip

Question: Did you keep a daily journal? With the level of detail in this
report, either you have an amazingly fine memory, or you kept a written
record. I've never done the journaling thing, but have considered it
several times.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 27th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Scott Seidman

William Claspy wrote in news:BEE5A9C2.9DA6%
:

Librarian" wrote:

Friday:

My last day

snip

Nicely done set of reports, my bookish brother!

Bill

How do we get it an LOC identifier??

Scott
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Charlie Choc

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:20:34 -0500, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

I fished the next pool with no luck and thought about scaling the
falls, but figured I'd wait and do that when there's someone with me to
scrape my remains up off the rocks below. (Do you guys just go up the
face of the rocks on the left there or what?)

If you just keep going on the trail you will end up right next to the water
above Big Falls. I've seen the path you dropped in on but haven't ever fished
down there, I'll have to try it next time.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Conan The Librarian

Wayne Harrison wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg

nice! that's about as big a fish as one can expect that high on
snowbird.

Thanks. I was surprised myself. I figured I had buggered up any
chance of getting a fish from that pool with my first casts. But
thankfully I had started at the tailout, so the pool was evidently big
enough so I didn't scare him off. (And he took maybe 15' from shore.)

It's beautiful country with lovely, strong

fish, and I hope to explore much more of it.

thanks for those thoughts. i would enjoy helping you out, next time
around.

I would enjoy that too. (And you *did* help me out, even if I
didn't take all your advice. See below. :-)

yfitons
wayno (and hellfire, the boy didn't even see the best of it...)

Yeah, I know. I was planning to do Hazel on Thursday, before I
bunged my knee up. I just didn't feel confident enough to be totally
dependent on someone else for my transportation in case I had problems
with the knee.

Maybe next time you can show me the good spots. :-)

Chuck Vance