Almost a secret spot day

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Almost a secret spot day

55F in mid Jan. There must be have be a hatch of somthingus
microscopicae on the Swift today. Tim, Stan, Georoge?
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Gary M wrote:
55F in mid Jan. There must be have be a hatch of somthingus
microscopicae on the Swift today. Tim, Stan, Georoge?

If I didn't have a doctor's appt this afternoon I would head over to check
it out. Given the huge amount of rain yesterday and the fact that Quabbin
was spilling over last week, I'd say very high water would be expected.
However, there *are* salmon in the Y-Pool. Beware that the Route 9 bridge
is under construction and the parking areas are all closed. The big lots
off River Road might still be snowed/iced in.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old January 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Stan Gula wrote:

If I didn't have a doctor's appt this afternoon I would head over to check
it out. Given the huge amount of rain yesterday and the fact that Quabbin
was spilling over last week, I'd say very high water would be expected.
However, there *are* salmon in the Y-Pool. Beware that the Route 9 bridge
is under construction and the parking areas are all closed. The big lots
off River Road might still be snowed/iced in.

Salmon? That's a new one. Spillovers? Dumb question I know, but I just
had a hope that the extensive Connecticut River salmon project is
bearing fruit.
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Gary M typed:
55F in mid Jan. There must be have be a hatch of somthingus
microscopicae on the Swift today. Tim, Stan, Georoge?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv?01175500

My office is fairly near the CT River, so wave as you float by. ;-) You
*could* try J***** Brook, but that's top SUPER secret.
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tim J. wrote:
Gary M typed:
55F in mid Jan. There must be have be a hatch of somthingus
microscopicae on the Swift today. Tim, Stan, Georoge?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv?01175500

My office is fairly near the CT River, so wave as you float by. ;-) You
*could* try J***** Brook, but that's top SUPER secret.
--
TL,
Tim
who, every once in a while, must work for a living.
------------------------
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/

The Swift is currently running at 600 CFS. Considering a good fishing
level is around 50 to 100 CFS, that's pretty high. The river has become
"self stocking" due to the heavy spillover from Quabbin, so there are
salmon, lakers, smallmouths, rock bass, yellow perch, and God knows
what else in the river. There are a few people fishing the Y-Pool, but
with the water that high, it's pretty specialized fishing. There is no
construction currently happening at the bridge, and fishermen are
currently using the parking lot again, but that could change anytime.

This is an historic year regarding flows on the Swift. There have never
been such heavy flows in the Winter, so it's hard to predict what this
year's fishing will be like. If we have normal snowfall this winter,
followed by a normal spring rainfall, flows could well reach 1,000 CFS+
by late March or early April, and the Quabbin could continue to
overflow well into June.

Nine days until the Marlborough show......

Old January 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

George Adams wrote:
This is an historic year regarding flows on the Swift. There have
never been such heavy flows in the Winter, so it's hard to predict
what this year's fishing will be like. If we have normal snowfall
this winter, followed by a normal spring rainfall, flows could well
reach 1,000 CFS+ by late March or early April, and the Quabbin could
continue to overflow well into June.

Ain't it the truth! We got funding from the State (from River Restore) to
remove the boulder pile (collapsed bridge abutments) just up from the duck
lady's place. We are planning on doing the work 'as soon as the water comes
down' - which given our luck, will be the day after the funds get called
back...

We went out to take pictures of the iceman's dam 600 yards downstream for a
grant proposal and it was under so much water that you could barely tell
there was an obstruction.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old January 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

It could get worse......

The highest flow on record, 3,070 CFS was 6/1/84. We had begun the
improvement project below the Y-Pool, (deflectors, bank containment,
etc), earlier in the spring. Needless to say, not much got done until
late summer. Actually, some of the boulders you guys are going to
remove were put in place during that high water period. I took a ride
to Iceman's with a couple of Fisheries guys on the day of the highest
flow, and you could hear and feel the grinding as some of the boulders
got moved around. There actually was much less of an obstruction there
prior to the high water. I had to go all the way to Ware from Palmer
and access F&G headquarters from rte 9, as many sections of River Road
were flooded.

Old January 12th, 2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

George Adams wrote:
There actually was much less of an obstruction there
prior to the high water. I had to go all the way to Ware from Palmer
and access F&G headquarters from rte 9, as many sections of River Road
were flooded.

I remember that flood.

By the way, did you hear that the Belchertown Land Trust acquired the
Boldsville Mill property? There's renewed hope for removing the two mill
dams...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old January 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Stan Gula" wrote in

By the way, did you hear that the Belchertown Land Trust acquired
the Boldsville Mill property? There's renewed hope for removing
the two mill dams...

Reminds me there is pressure to remove Dufresne's Dam on Batten Kill.
Tricky process if you don't want to silt up downstream. BTW, TU SW VT
Chapter have a new website you might find interesting.

http://www.tuswvt.org/