Does anyone fly fish for bass?

Old May 8th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Richard Liebert

Default Does anyone fly fish for bass?

Anyone use a fly rod for bass out there?

Old May 8th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Long island sir

yes
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:39 AM
bassrecord

Good question. At least one of us ONLY uses the fly rod to fish for bass.
How can we be of service?

John

Old May 8th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Bob La Londe

"bassrecord" wrote in message
Good question. At least one of us ONLY uses the fly rod to fish for bass.
How can we be of service?

John

"Richard Liebert" wrote in

message
Anyone use a fly rod for bass out there?

I talked to a fellow a couple months ago who was catching bass and stripers
on streamers with a flyrod.

I fished the same area with jigging spoons with good success.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old May 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM
bassrecord

Bob said,

I talked to a fellow a couple months ago who was catching bass and

stripers
on streamers with a flyrod.

I fished the same area with jigging spoons with good success.

Ah yes. The history of fly fishing for largemouth bass originated with
steamers. Streamers for bass were modified from the original Atlantic
Salmon flies which originated in the UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, etc. and
migrated to North America with settlers when they discovered bass.
Streamers were the original flies develped especially for bass. Although my
grandsons would argue, this streamer use for bass fly fishing evolved way
before my time - back in the 1700-1800s.

To my understanding, the first effective topwater popping bugs for
largemouth bass developed commercially in the 1910 to 1920s. Probably from
that time on bass and striper fly lure development has followed and lagged
behind bass lure development for casting with level wind and then spinning
reel. Thanks guys!

Classical (sinking) streamers also work well for stripers. Within the last
several decades floating and slightly sinking streamers have been developed
that work great for both bass and stripers and a variety of sal****er
species. Catching them on topwater is so much more fun so I make a floating
white hard foam (leg-less) streamer that works great on striped bass hitting
schooling minnows - but what doesn't! g

Jigging spoons. Hmmmm Bob you got me to thinking. How can I get them
spoons to float? Hmmmmm. Oh well.

Good luck!

John

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Bob La Londe

[...]

I do not know about floating, but I have heard of guys working extremely
small stamped sheet metal spoons on a flyrod for trout in streams with large
amounts of bait fish. I always thought it would be difficult to work
effectively and have never tried it, but then its not that hard to work a
night crawler on a flyrod so I suppose it can be worked out.

I imagine if you went to a spoon with a fixed hook you could add some
bouyancy by punching a small cork onto the hook.

I'm not really a fly fisherman. I've just done a little dry fly fishing in
trout streams with limited success.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Guy A.

On Fri, 7 May 2004 22:47:06 -0400, "Richard Liebert"
wrote:

Anyone use a fly rod for bass out there?

YES!! And for bluegill, too. Just returned from 2 days of flyrodding
for bluegill--lost count somewhere around 200 'gill and 25 small bass.

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Bob Rickard

Anyone who doesn't ocassionally flyfish is still a non-fisherman, IMHO. It
is an incredibly enjoyable and productive way to fish, but is only really
practical for bass fishing in some situations.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old May 8th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Rob Storm

I'm one of the guys who occasionally uses a long rod. I think there's nothing
better than spending a hot summer afternoon floating waist deep in an innertube
and casting #2 deerhair poppers for bass. I sometimes add a small black gnat
or other wet fly as a dropper for bluegill. (Sometimes you get your biggest
fish on the dropper -- I once caught a 7 pound channel cat on a #12 dropper.)

I never liked streamers much, but I will occasionally toss small plastic worms
rigged either wacky or weedless. They're hell to cast and I'm sure all purists
turn up their noses at such blasphemy, but I'm in the sport for fun and frankly
don't give a hoot about the purists.

I have used small streamers to catch tons of white bass when they're on their
spring-time spawning runs. I like to tie them so the hook rides up, like a
jig. Best colors for me have been black & chartreuse, or blue & white. Best
materials are marabou tail with chenille body. Size 6 or 4.

Some guys use extrafast sinking lines to get deep water bass . Not me -- if
they won't hit close to the surface, I change to a baitcaster. Like I say --
I'm no purist.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM
IMKen

Years ago when I lived in large mouth Bass producing country I fished with a
fly rod with great success. I found that very small surface poppers were
bass getters where most other things failed.
I fished some heavily fished reservoirs that were not very productive with
conventional equipment but very productive with big flys and small fly
poppers.

Ken