License for fishing boat??

Old August 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JustMe

Default License for fishing boat??

Someone gave us a fishing boat about 2 years ago. We have never used
it but are planning on taking it out this weekend to a place in
Alberta, Canada.

It has a small motor on it.

How do I know if I need a license for the fishing boat.

If I do need a license, where do I obtain this from and what do I need
to do to get it?

I know I need to obtain a fishing license.

Thanks in advance
Justme

Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cyli

On 1 Aug 2006 10:05:58 -0700, "JustMe" wrote:

Someone gave us a fishing boat about 2 years ago. We have never used
it but are planning on taking it out this weekend to a place in
Alberta, Canada.

It has a small motor on it.

How do I know if I need a license for the fishing boat.

You almost certainly do for any boat with a motor and most without
one.

If I do need a license, where do I obtain this from and what do I need
to do to get it?

Your local authorities where you reside and keep the boat. Your
department of natural resources or equivalent should be able to inform
you with a Web page or a singe phone call.

You may need some evidence of the purchase and the purchase price.

You will have to check with the location where you're taking the boat
to see if it's legal to use there. There's usually some reciprocity
between states / provinces / nearby countries. You may need some
additional license when at your destination.

--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

JustMe wrote:
Someone gave us a fishing boat about 2 years ago. We have never used
it but are planning on taking it out this weekend to a place in
Alberta, Canada.

It has a small motor on it.

How do I know if I need a license for the fishing boat.

If I do need a license, where do I obtain this from and what do I need
to do to get it?

**** it. Wait 'til you're cited, if ever.

I know I need to obtain a fishing license.

Indeed.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Honest John

Don't know the law in Canada.
Here in the great white north of Wisconsin, the state law is:
If the vessel was designed to be powered by a motor or engine,
it must be registered and stickered.
That means my runabout with a ten horse Merc, need a sticker.
My canoe does not.
My other canoe with a transom but "no motor" does need a sticker.
So you most likely need one.
John

ups.com...

Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

JustMe wrote:
Someone gave us a fishing boat about 2 years ago. We have never used
it but are planning on taking it out this weekend to a place in
Alberta, Canada.
It has a small motor on it.
How do I know if I need a license for the fishing boat.
If I do need a license, where do I obtain this from and what do I need
to do to get it?
I know I need to obtain a fishing license.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "license."

I do not believe that you need a license like a driver's license for
the boat.
You will most likely have to obtain a registration for the boat. And
if it is on
a trailer, you will most likely have to register the trailer, tho if
it is already
registered you may not have to again. You may also have to have the
trailer inspected just as you have to have cars inspected.

Your best bet would be to contact the motor vehicle bureau, or its
equivalent,
in Albert.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

JustMe wrote:
Someone gave us a fishing boat about 2 years ago. We have never used
it but are planning on taking it out this weekend to a place in
Alberta, Canada.
It has a small motor on it.
How do I know if I need a license for the fishing boat.
If I do need a license, where do I obtain this from and what do I need
to do to get it?
I know I need to obtain a fishing license.

The Canadian regulations for licensing pleasure craft and obtaining
proof of operator's competency are pretty complex. They depend on the
size of the motor, the age of the operator, and other stuff. The
regulations are posted at transport Canada's web page at

http://www.tc.gc.ca/boatingsafety/oc-faq.htm

Tim Lysyk
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Tim Lysyk" wrote ...

The Canadian regulations for licensing pleasure craft and obtaining proof
of operator's competency are pretty complex. They depend on the size of
the motor, the age of the operator, and other stuff. The regulations are
posted at transport Canada's web page at

http://www.tc.gc.ca/boatingsafety/oc-faq.htm

Perhaps slightly more specific:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/facts/foreign.htm

Dan