Feathers

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Broody

Default Feathers

Hi all,
I was wondering what sort of feathers you use to tie flies with, and
which parts of the feather make which part of the fly?
Best wishes,
Ket
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Broody" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I was wondering what sort of feathers you use to tie flies with, and
which parts of the feather make which part of the fly?

A comprehensive answer would fill a book. As a matter of fact, I'd be much
surprised if it doesn't already fill several. Someone will probably be long
shortly to make specific recommendations.

Meanwhile, it is difficult to imagine a feather from any bird for which a
good use could not be found in tying flies.

Google "fly tying".....you'll find a wealth of information.

Good luck.

Wolfgang

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Hambone Slim

"Broody" wrote...

I was wondering what sort of feathers you use to tie flies with, and
which parts of the feather make which part of the fly?

http://flyangler.org/MATERIALS.htm

Birds are bred specifically for good capes. Also, pheasant, peacock herl,
maribou down, and, of course, red-wing blackbird shoulder patches are used,
among others.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Old July 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Broody wrote:
Hi all,
I was wondering what sort of feathers you use to tie flies with, and
which parts of the feather make which part of the fly?
Best wishes,
Ket
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

What kind of fly do yuo want to tie Broody?

TBone

Old July 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
G. J. Z.

hello Broody fly tying gets a bit involved perhaps you should start off with
a few basic patterns, Hare's ear nymph. and wet fly, some dark Hendrickson
wets too get the basics skills down. I listed what I think is pretty basic
stuff providing you have the thread, bobbin , vice, bodkin, scissors. and
some type of starter book with patterns. please consider attending a trout
unlimited fly tying class. They should start you off on the right foot
the basic is matched left and right quills of
mallard duck wing quills,
turkey wing quill's
peacock heal.
Hare's mask.
imitation or real lemon wooduck feathers.
fine gold wire and tensile.
brown hen hackle.
muskrat fur,
a good grade blue dun dry fly neck
ok I guess you might be getting a feel for what's involved, of course not to
discourage you its a wonderful and fulfilling craft.
don't forget to have fun. Gerard
..
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Broody

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my
original post, but I'm a feather supplier wanting to know what sort of
feathers fly tyers are interested in.
Many thanks,
Broody
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

Old July 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bones

On 31 Jul 2006 04:28:28 -0700, "Broody"
wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my
original post, but I'm a feather supplier wanting to know what sort of
feathers fly tyers are interested in.
Many thanks,
Broody
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

Two pounds of Matched Natural Wild Canada goose Primaries
Harry
troutflies com
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

bones typed:
wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my
original post, but I'm a feather supplier wanting to know what sort
of feathers fly tyers are interested in.
Many thanks,
Broody
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

Two pounds of Matched Natural Wild Canada goose Primaries

I'd pay a few bucks for two pounds of the feathers as long as I knew someone
offed 100 pounds of those wretched birds. Nasty creatures, those.
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Broody" wrote in news:1154345308.809111.282080
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my
original post, but I'm a feather supplier wanting to know what sort of
feathers fly tyers are interested in.
Many thanks,
Broody
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

English bluejay, plover, true spey, a variety of owl, and condor. I have a
feeling this isn't likely, though

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 1st, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bge

In article .com,
"Broody" wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my
original post, but I'm a feather supplier wanting to know what sort of
feathers fly tyers are interested in.
Many thanks,
Broody
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk

Hi Broody,
I would like a cape that all the feathers are about 6 inches long (and
the same size throughout the feather, even the size 30's, and go from
size 10 to size 30