On track for a 2020 ban on sportsfishing?

Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default On track for a 2020 ban on sportsfishing?

Joe McIntosh wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message

JR wrote:

I argue against mandatory C&R waters (with little more success that I've
had here g), but I reckon I'll actually stop fishing the more
beautiful ones that currently exist around the time I stop coveting my
neighbor's wife.....

i never really understood the big deal about coveting ...it's that
screwing part that really causes the problems. g

A smiling friend offers--yes but think how many lawyers would loose
customers if folks only coveted !

nah...a guilty conscience and some malignant pessimism about one's
purported life partner is usually adequate to create a substantial
client base. however, at my age and level of practice, i require photo
(or, even better, video) evidence. g
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

ok...change "bludgeon" to "bludgeoned".
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cyli

On 2 Aug 2006 07:06:44 -0700, "Wayne Knight"
wrote:

William Claspy wrote:

So think of yourselves
as a bunch of 12 year old girls.

If that were the case, then the flames and petty ****ing contests would
only occur once a month.

Nope. You need physical proximity to sync that stuff up.

Of course there's the option of thinking that women's cycles only
allow a brief few moments on the way up or down or around each month
that you could blame for it.

But that would sexist...
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Willi

JR wrote:
rw wrote:

wrote:

It's never, ever necessary. A 'practical; slot limit can be set just
above or below the target. Imagine a 1 trout over 5 pounds limit, for
example.

That would effectively be C&R almost everywhere all the time. I've
caught quite a few trout this year (it's been a very good year so far)
and none of them were close to five pounds except for a bull trout
(strictly C&R).

Furthermore, a laboratory study (I can't find the source at the
moment) showed strong evidence that culling larger fish led to genetic
changes on the population in a surprisingly short time, reducing the
average size of the fish. If anything, people should be allowed to
keep smaller fish and be required to release "trophy" fish.

"One trout over 5 lbs" is not a slot limit.

I agree it's not a slot limit but I think Tim was illustrating a fairly
common type of limit used here in Colorado. For example on a small
stream in my part of Colorado, there is a one fish over 18" limit. There
MAY be an 18" fish for every mile or two of stream but I've never seen
a fish over 12". It is defacto C&R.

However, just because it is POSSIBLE to catch a fish you can keep, it is
EXTREMELY unlikely. I don't see how you could say you're fishing for
what you call a "serious" purpose or that you're not "trivializing" the
prey with that type of limit just because it's not strictly C&R.

Willi

Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Willi

JR wrote:

Following a similar argument to the one you make in reference to C&R
fishing....

I'm not clear why it's moral to catch a fish, kill it and eat it.

In our society, we don't need to eat animal flesh to live. We kill and
eat the flesh of animals for our pleasure and not from necessity - we
eat them because we like it.

(I happen to agree with you concerning the need for C&R regs but I just
don't buy your reasoning concerning the evils)

Willi

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:

When I fished Alaska, I got a chance to talk with the locals. When I
mentioned catch and release, they laughed. Other than being upset with
the
outfitters, advertisements and hoards of fisherman that upset their
rivers,
they only fish to feed their families. On the river, we saw a boat with
two

Just returned from AK myself, on a "family" vacation, not a
fishing vacation (but with enough fishing thrown in :-)

Tim would fit right in in AK. They are overwhelmingly geared towards
harvest fishing. A good thing in my book. The regs are written with
harvest in mind, and where possible, limit C+R. For example, on the
lower Kenai you are allowed 1 king salmon per day and in many fisheries
(including the Kenai) when you've kept your limit you must stop fishing.
My wife's lower Kenai morning fishing lasted 5 minutes (and a 50lb
king!). (well, 5 minutes for a hookup, and 15-20 to land it).

I also noticed the local "aversion" to pure C+R sports fishing, and
read at least one editorial specifically attacking it.

I'll post some pics maybe next week; we did a smattering of fishing.
A quick summary, in chronological order: some rainbows in a small
creek north towards Denali (and a salmon hookup), an 80lb halibut
(my back was sore after cranking that thing up -- he should be
showing up today on my doorstep, thanks to FedEx), along with some
smaller halibut; some dollies and 'bows flyfishing the upper Kenai
and some accidental sockeyes; a couple of large kings by the wives,
none by the boys, on the lower Kenai; and some pink salmon in the
salt near Valdez.

Sightseeing was grand -- it's quite a neat place.

Jon.

Jon, sounds like you had a great time....it's awesome fishing in Alaska.
Post those pictures!!!
-tom