On track for a 2020 ban on sportsfishing?

Old July 31st, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Default On track for a 2020 ban on sportsfishing?

wrote in message
ps.com...

It's never, ever necessary. A 'practical; slot limit can be set just
above or below the target. Imagine a 1 trout over 5 pounds limit, for
example. Far more defensable to fish for food than to fish for fun,
again, the Norwegians explain this better than I can.

Your pal,

TBone
A cash flow runs through it

When I fished Alaska, I got a chance to talk with the locals. When I
mentioned catch and release, they laughed. Other than being upset with the
outfitters, advertisements and hoards of fisherman that upset their rivers,
they only fish to feed their families. On the river, we saw a boat with two
Eskimos, husband and wife on our last day on the river, they caught one king
salmon and that was it, back to home. They probably come out once a week for
their catch.

We also chat with Eskimos from the village of Quinhagak, Alaska, our last
campout before pickup. I was amazed to see how primitive they still were,
where the whole village still goes out to hunt whale. They actually ring a
village bell when a whale is spotted off shore. Nothing is wasted of a whale
when they catch them.
fwiw,
-tom

Old July 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

In article om,
says...

Your argument reminds me of my wife who does not think we need a
hunting season on deer because enough of them get killed by cars.
Great, so lets manage our fisheries based on random mortality
introduced by stressing the **** out of the population. I hate to say
it but you folks won't last 30 seconds with Ingrid.

Oh yeah, it'd be tough to argue with Ingrid:

"Pet ownership is an abysmal situation brought about by human
manipulation."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Washingtonian, August 1986

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler
chickens will die this year in slaughter houses."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The Washington Post, November
13, 1983.

“There’s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special
rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals.”
— Washingtonian magazine, 8/1/86

“I am not a morose person, but I would rather not be here. I don’t have
any reverence for life, only for the entities themselves. I would rather
see a blank space where I am. This will sound like fruitcake stuff again
but at least I wouldn’t be harming anything.”
— The Washington Post, 11/13/83

“Eating meat is primitive, barbaric, and arrogant.”
— Washington City Paper, 12/20/85

Yeah, I think that C&K fishing will go over well with her.
She's a loon, is well recognized as a loon. Trying to use her to
justify your own tortured ethics isn't going to work.

You don't like C&R, that fine, but if you try to force your
ethics on others, you are no better than she is.
- Ken
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

The fact that she has extreme views on man's relationship to animals is
not a good argument for the simple fact that, when 250 million people
are asked the question: Is it ethical to hurt, mutilate, deform, stress
and kill a wild animal, solely for fun?", you will get at least
249,999,982 million "No's". The other 18 are the bedwetters that will
grow up to be serial killers. I think it's that simple.

BTW - it is the C&R wet golfers who are the ones BY FAR that are trying
to foist their Anti-Ethics on the rest of the real-fishing public, so
be very, very careful with that double-edged axe Eugene.

Your pal,

TBone