Should brown trout in the BattenKill be eradicated?

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default Should brown trout in the BattenKill be eradicated?

A controversy in Vermont is in progress regarding the state's plan of
releasing around 1,000 triploid sterile rainbow trout in to the
Battenkill river. The locals are up in arms that it will disrupt the
naturally reproducing brown trout populations that are descendent from
stocking years ago. In my own research the question that keeps tugging
at me is: If the brown trout are decimating the indiginous brook trout
on the eastern seaboard why are conservation groups adament about
protecting them? Now, I understand that the economics of trout fishing
are huge. There's a lot of money involved. But, good fishing is good
fishing and, all things considered, the opportunity to catch a 16 in
rainbow trout will generate as much or more fishing revenue as the
difficult to fool and highly piscavorious brown trout. So why do
conservation groups so vehemently protect a predator that is decimating
an indiginous species? This makes no sense to me.

Halfordian Golfer
A cash flow runs through it