4 0r 6 lb line?

Old March 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

Default 4 0r 6 lb line?

new to bass fishing and getting ready to set up my rods for pond fishing [
21 acre golf course pond- shallow with not many hang up along edges other
than brush ].
Using Shimano stratic 2500 reels and 7 ft rods { long enought to clear
front of kayak when fish on ]
Now I need to decide what line to us--braided or mono- 4,5,or 6 lb.
And why that choice. Thanks
Joe the Elder
[fish are usually 0ne to two lb.]

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message
new to bass fishing and getting ready to set up my rods for pond fishing
[ 21 acre golf course pond- shallow with not many hang up along edges
other than brush ].
Using Shimano stratic 2500 reels and 7 ft rods { long enought to clear
front of kayak when fish on ]
Now I need to decide what line to us--braided or mono- 4,5,or 6 lb.
And why that choice. Thanks
Joe the Elder
[fish are usually 0ne to two lb.]

A lot of what I base my line pound test rating on isn't necessarily the size
of the fish, it's the cover that I'm fishing. If there are thick weeds or
stumps in the water, I'll go with 8 or 10 pound test minimum. It doesn't
take much to break off a fish with 4-6 lb. test line.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message
new to bass fishing and getting ready to set up my rods for pond fishing
[ 21 acre golf course pond- shallow with not many hang up along edges
other than brush ].
Using Shimano stratic 2500 reels and 7 ft rods { long enought to clear
front of kayak when fish on ]
Now I need to decide what line to us--braided or mono- 4,5,or 6 lb.
And why that choice. Thanks
Joe the Elder
[fish are usually 0ne to two lb.]

Some may disagree, but for small ponds with few obstructions I would
probably go with a light line. As I lean more and more towards becoming a
bass angler I find that light line means a different thing to me than to a
trout fisherman. LOL.

8-10 mono should be fine if you use a good quality line, and continuously
check for nicks and abrasions. If the pond is ultra clear I might use
flouro carbon, but a good quality mono is probably still the best comprimise
until an angler really starts to specialize with their presentations.

In general I try to use the heaviest line I can effectively fish the lure I
am using with.

Unless you plan to throw some light lures like 1/16 oz t-rigged tiny worms,
or 1/16 oz in-line spinners I wouldn't consider those lighter lines you
suggested at all. I used to walk the banks of Oak Creek casting 1/16 oz
Rooster Tails quite adequately on 6lb test. With some of the quality modern
monos I use today I'm sure I could do it with 8lb.

Since you already indicated a prefference for light line I won't try to
convert you right now, but I strongly suggest you adjust the drag on your
reels to about 1/3 of the line test. My dad used to do it with a scale.
Also, if that pond serves up a pleasant surprise and puts a big one on the
hook be prepared to let him tow you around a bit.

Take a landing net so when you do get them along side you can quickly catch,
photo, and release. Remember that ponds can quickly be damaged by over
fishing if you take everything you catch home. I'm not the C&R religious
zealot of many, but it is the responsibility of everybody to understand the
dynamics of the resources they utilize. Also, if you do get into a pond
that is over populated ask the pond owner if they would like you to remove
some of the smaller fish so the over all size will increase. Ask though.
Different ponds are managed for different purposes. An overstocked pond may
not have many big fish, but it is a great pond for kids who just want to
catch something.

Anyway, have fun and post some pictures.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old March 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

4 0r 6 lb line?

new to bass fishing and getting ready to set up my rods for pond fishing
[ 21 acre golf course pond- shallow with not many hang up along edges
other than brush ].
Using Shimano stratic 2500 reels and 7 ft rods { long enought to clear
front of kayak when fish on ]
Now I need to decide what line to us--braided or mono- 4,5,or 6 lb. And
why that choice. Thanks
Joe the Elder
[fish are usually 0ne to two lb.]

==========

6 lb. fluoro carbon will serve you well fishing small unstructured
ponds.

I fish a small lake with very little structure, and that is about the
only line I use any more. I throw mostly soft plastics, but I also use
spinners and crankbaits with the same line. If I break off a fish, it is
almost always because I am "lazy", and seldom re-tie knots, or check my
line very close.

Like bob suggested, I also set the drag fairly light, and use my thumb
to increase pressure.

Have fun!

John

Old March 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message
news:arvDj.18$ [ 21 acre golf course pond- shallow with not many hang up
along edges

A lot of what I base my line pound test rating on isn't necessarily the
size of the fish, it's the cover that I'm fishing. If there are thick
weeds or stumps in the water, I'll go with 8 or 10 pound test minimum. It
doesn't take much to break off a fish with 4-6 lb. test line.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Joe responds---thanks for suggestions-- I guess I was asking about light
lines because as a fly fishing trout man all I snagged were the trees
within my backcast. What are the advantages of mono over braded--and what
is brand name of a good line?
Do you spool your own or have it put on at bait shop?
Thanks Joe

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

Most guys who fish often spool their own line. There are so many brands. Two
old standards in mono are Original Stren and Trilene XL.

Relatively big fish can be caught on light line, such as 4#, as long as
there's open water and the line has no nicks, kinks, etc., and the knot is
sound and drag set correctly.

You have to decide for yourself how to weigh the fun of light line against
the larger odds of a breakoff resulting in the fish swimming around with a
mouthful of hook(s). I personally would use 8-10#.

Good luck.

. ..

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

[...]

LOL, you must be fairly new here or you'd know the answer to that question
already. For me, braid is superior to mono because it has a thinner
diameter offering less resistance to the water, allowing you to fish lighter
lures deeper. The no stretch properties offer increased sensitivity, and
better hooksets. I prefer braid to mono and only one of my several dozen
rods has mono line on the spool.

I prefer to spool my own line. With braid, you'll need to tie the line to
the spool, then secure the line with a small piece of electrical tape.
Braid is so slippery and hard that unless you tape it to the spool, it will
spin on the spool under pressure. Others will tie some some mono line, then
tie the braid to that to eliminate slippage, but I rarely do that,
preferring the line to be tied directly to the spool. I also spool braid
under a lot of tension to insure that it packs tightly on the spool.

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
D. Norton

To me it's a waste of line use mono and then tie on braid.
My spools are drilled, so I simply run my line thru a couple of the holes in
the spool and tie double knots as usual.

Using a pc. of electricians tape ,once around the sool will give the beaid
something to bite into. Thereby reducing slippage.
----------------------
D. Norton

Old March 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"D. Norton" wrote in message
. ..
To me it's a waste of line use mono and then tie on braid.
My spools are drilled, so I simply run my line thru a couple of the holes
in the spool and tie double knots as usual.

Using a pc. of electricians tape ,once around the sool will give the beaid
something to bite into. Thereby reducing slippage.

Knots are the weakest link between you and the fish, and your line is the
second. I prefer to keep any risks minimized. I don't want to get down
into the backing on a good fish, only to worry, "Is my splicing knot good?,"
or "What line did I use for backing?" I've seen several nice fish lost by
others because they got down into the backing and the cheap a$$ line they
used broke, or the knot slipped. Besides, after I've used the line for a
season or two, it I haven't cut too much off retying, I'll simply reverse
the line, running it onto a different reel and get another season or two of
use.

AND, I don't like mono for 99% of my fishing applications....