What is your secret of fly rotation?

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:39 AM
adso4

Default What is your secret of fly rotation?

Dear folks,

This is the first time I write a message on this board though I have
been reading your useful and fun-to-read articles for a long time.

My question today is, what is your secret, rationale, or theory of fly
rotation that goes beyond Woolly Bugger as the terminator? What is
your initial searching pattern? If you have to change fly pattern
itself, not just downsizing it, then, what fly do you usually go for
next, and then? What is your fly of last resort?

I will appreciate your kind help.
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Ernie

"adso4" wrote in message
om...
My question today is, what is your secret, rationale, or theory

of fly
rotation that goes beyond Woolly Bugger as the terminator? What

is
your initial searching pattern? If you have to change fly

pattern
itself, not just downsizing it, then, what fly do you usually

go for
next, and then? What is your fly of last resort?

The answer depends on the type of fish you are fishing for and
the type of water you are fishing in.
Generally:
1. If the fish are striking short go to a smaller fly.
2. If the fish are not striking change the color of the fly.
3. If #2 fails change the type of fly, wet, dry, style etc.
Ernie

Old March 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
bassrecord

"adso4" wrote

My question today is, what is your secret, rationale, or theory of fly
rotation that goes beyond Woolly Bugger as the terminator? What is
your initial searching pattern? If you have to change fly pattern
itself, not just downsizing it, then, what fly do you usually go for
next, and then? What is your fly of last resort?

Good question!

For trout, on new to me, flat water, I always research it in advance by
visiting the closest fly shop, tackle shop, internet or friends who advise
me what works that time of year on that water.

1. Upon getting on the water I first sit down and stop, look, watch and
listen.

2. If I observe NOTHING, then except for cold weather, I go with a floating
line and a hopper pattern first then if no action and still observe nothing,
switch to a sink tip and damsel fly nynph. If observe nothing, go to 1.

3. If I observe SOMETHING then I go with what was recommended for the water
or what is indicated at that point of time. Stick with what works. If
nothing works, go back to 1.

Hope this helps LOL!

Good luck!
John

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Josh Blair

Don't forget about seining the river and trying to match what you find. Look
on the surface, in the surface film, in the mid drift, and near the bottom.

Josh

om...

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Willi

Ernie wrote:
"adso4" wrote in message
om...

My question today is, what is your secret, rationale, or theory

of fly

rotation that goes beyond Woolly Bugger as the terminator? What

is

your initial searching pattern? If you have to change fly

pattern

itself, not just downsizing it, then, what fly do you usually

go for

next, and then? What is your fly of last resort?

The answer depends on the type of fish you are fishing for and
the type of water you are fishing in.
Generally:
1. If the fish are striking short go to a smaller fly.
2. If the fish are not striking change the color of the fly.
3. If #2 fails change the type of fly, wet, dry, style etc.
Ernie

If I'm not getting any response from the fish, my first reaction is to
try a different approach. If dries aren't working try a nymph or a wet.
If I'm getting refusals from actively feeding fish, I'll first try a
change in presentation then go to a smaller fly then go to a different
type of fly. I VERY seldom worry about color except in terms of light
and dark. (Except for orange - sometimes that color seems to really turn
on the fish. I have no idea why but it's the only color that I've
noticed having that type of reaction).

Willi

Old March 20th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Larry L

"Willi" wrote

and dark. (Except for orange - sometimes that color seems to really turn
on the fish. I have no idea why but it's the only color that I've
noticed having that type of reaction).

I've had two or three experiences where bright green was a trigger that had
to be pulled. The one I remember best was on Manzanita Lake in Lassen Nat
Park. There was a midge hatch early before the calibaetis and damsels
that most guys came to fish. Day one I couldn't touch a midge eater, so I
caught some bugs and they were a bright "insect green" I tied a few
Griffins in that color and a few emergers. Next morning, with my greenies,
I could pretty much take fish at will, and didn't see anyone else stick one.

Eventually ( this is the part of the story that makes it memorable for me )
a guy in a tube paddled over and asked what I was using. I gave him a green
Lashers emerger and instructed him how to grease only half. He went back
near his buddy and showed him the fly as he tied it on and dressed it. I
heard the buddy say, "Oh that's BULL****, color isn't important and that
fancy emerger crap is hogwash, too, stick with a woolybugger." At that a
fish rose near them and the guy covered him with my greenie ... fish on ...
the gent I gave a fly saying " Well, Jim, it may be bull****, but it sure
works." is the last I heard of their chat as I rowed my pram away, that
was almost 10 years ago, and it still makes me grin G

Old April 1st, 2004, 04:49 AM
David Palmer

Lately, on my favorite stream, the girdle bug has been towards the end of my
rotation and is now moving towards the front because it seems to illicit a
lot of action.

I can be doing okay w/ hares ear or prince nymph but throw in a girdle bug
and get an explosive strike by a large fish within a couple of casts.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
Joe Ellis

My secret of fly rotation? Simple...

.... tie the wings crooked...