New website with 1000+ photos & videos of wild trout & insects they eat

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Jason Neuswanger

Default New website with 1000+ photos & videos of wild trout & insects they eat

http://www.troutnut.com

I just finished this site a few days ago as an original resource for
fly fishermen to learn about stream science so they can tie better
imitations and just generally understand the trout better. My photos
are all from northwest Wisconsin, in tributaries to both Lake Superior
and the Mississippi system, though many should be interesting and
applicable elsewhere.

The site includes over 1,000 large close-up photos of live stream
insects, mostly mayfly nymphs but a bit of everything. It's also got
a unique application to let you compare any image on my site
side-by-side with any other at various levels of rotation, brightness,
or zooming.

That's all in the "naturals gallery" section he
http://www.troutnut.com/naturals/index.html

I've also got 50+ underwater photographs from trout streams, including
some awesome photos of a dense school of wild brookies in a northern
Wisconsin river in February and a huge school of minnows in the same
river. I've also got some neat underwater photos of caddis larvae in
their natural habitat.

That's all in the "underwater photos" section he
http://www.troutnut.com/underwater/index.html

And I've got movies of ten different nymphs moving around showing
their various swimming motions:
http://www.troutnut.com/movies.html

Hope you all like it!

Jason Neuswanger, Trout Nut
http://www.troutnut.com
Old February 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM
George Cleveland

On 28 Feb 2004 21:53:29 -0800, (Jason Neuswanger)
wrote:

[...]

Hi Jason.

For those of you who may be wondering if this is a commercial spammer,
let me say that as far as I know it isn't. Jason is a member of the
Wisconsin Fly Fishing Message Board (of which I am a moderator) and
rolled this out on our website about a week ago. The whole thing is a
labor of love...or insanity (Many of his underwater shots come from
him standing in the water holding hid camera underwater, which at this
time of year is about 32.1 degrees F.).

Again, fantastic stuff Jason.

g.c.

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Larry L

"George Cleveland" wrote

Again, fantastic stuff Jason.

agreed, and some great bug shots too

but, Jason, you must have some CSS ( most likely ) bug as Mozilla displays
your heading, such as "Naturals Gallery" over and obscuring the first text
on the page, such as ""below are my favorite pictures"

just a heads up ... the class "bodytext" possibly?

Old February 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Chas Wade

"Larry L" wrote:

but, Jason, you must have some CSS ( most likely ) bug as Mozilla
displays
your heading, such as "Naturals Gallery" over and obscuring the first
text
on the page, such as ""below are my favorite pictures"

just a heads up ... the class "bodytext" possibly?

No sign of this problem with Internet Explorer, maybe it's a Mozilla
feature?

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old February 29th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Sandy

Chas Wade wrote:
"Larry L" wrote:

but, Jason, you must have some CSS ( most likely ) bug as Mozilla
displays
your heading, such as "Naturals Gallery" over and obscuring the first
text
on the page, such as ""below are my favorite pictures"

just a heads up ... the class "bodytext" possibly?

No sign of this problem with Internet Explorer, maybe it's a Mozilla
feature?

Works fine in Opera 7.23.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old February 29th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Larry L

Default OT web browser stuff

"Chas Wade" wrote

No sign of this problem with Internet Explorer, maybe it's a Mozilla
feature?

No it displays as intended in IE, and Opera and a 4th generation Netscape
But current Netscape and Mozilla browsers have a problem with it.
Differences in display between the current IE and current Netscape (
ozilla ) are almost always the result of CSS, ime.

IE is the most common browser and it's easy to think that if it is ok in IE
then any problems in other browsers is because those other browsers have a
problem.

Actually, current Mozilla is the most "standards compliant" brower
available, and, thus is often considered a type of benchmark in the web
design world. IE "covers up" many coding errors, especially in the area of
CSS, that Mozilla actually displays properly ( as coded ) but seem "wrong"
because IE wasn't bright enough to really do the job right. If MS ever
fixes IE to match the standard, as opposed to trying the muscle the standard
to fit IE :-) ... it won't display the page right either G

In my opinion, ( and I'm not alone in this one :-) a page has to pass the
"Mozilla test" before it's finished.

Thankfully, the gap between what the various browsers is shrinking. Back in
the 3rd and 4th generation browsers, pages that were great in one wouldn't
even display usably in another . I still test the sites I maintain in
everything back to 4th generation, and usually have to provide separate CSS
code for those older versions ( still found on a larger number of machines
than one would think )

Oh, and, imho Mozilla Firefox is many steps ahead of IE, as a browsing
tool..... I suggest trying it out ... it's free for the download

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:00 AM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:41:46 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

Oh, and, imho Mozilla Firefox is many steps ahead of IE, as a browsing
tool..... I suggest trying it out ... it's free for the download

I've been using it for a few weeks now and it is pretty good.
Thunderbird isn't too bad of a newsreader, either, although I still
mostly use Agent.
--
Charlie...
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:34 AM
Peter Charles

wrote:

http://www.troutnut.com

I just finished this site a few days ago as an original resource for
fly fishermen to learn about stream science so they can tie better
imitations and just generally understand the trout better. My photos
are all from northwest Wisconsin, in tributaries to both Lake Superior
and the Mississippi system, though many should be interesting and
applicable elsewhere.

Superb site - you are to be congratulated.

Any chance of getting a few shots of caddis pupae?

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:52 AM
Jason Neuswanger

Thanks for the support note George. I have been posting about my site
in every appropriate place I can find, but hey, that's the way to get
the word out. The only complaints I've had so far are from a
handful of petty territorial webmasters who don't want traffic leaving
their sites. I absolutely despise spam, and although I've been using
forums to publicize my site, you'll never find me posting anything
without substantive new updates that should be interesting to read as
well as hopefully pointing people to my site.

Thanks for the browser compatibility reports. The problem with
Mozilla/Safari is bigger than a CSS bug, I'm afraid. Some IE-only
technology is central to some of the ways the site works behind the
scenes. It's by far the most efficient way for me to do it, but I may
look into a less efficient but more compatible solution soon.

I know the Compareware application will remain IE-only. A lot of the
most important functionality in that app is only possible with IE
right now.

As for scrambling for the atlas... hehe, the Namekagon is a neat
river, but don't think the whole river looks like what's in my
pictures. It's actually a very notoriously difficult river to fish
because it's really hard to locate the fish predictably most times,
and when you do I've heard they're often particularly selective. My
pictures come from all the fish in a long stretch of stream stacked up
at a thermal refuge mid-winter. So by all means if you want to come
fish the Nam it's hard not to enjoy the experience--I just don't want
to artificially inflate your expectations.

Jason