Swarm of cicadas takes aim at U.S.

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Frank Reid

Default Swarm of cicadas takes aim at U.S.

They do come out every year, to a small extent. The Brood X group is know
for the massive hatch and covering roads and windshields. It is also know
as one of the weirdest dry fly hatches in existence. Evidently, they are so
big that only the big fish can eat them. They plop on the water (through
poor flying skills) and buzz around.
At Penns this year, we may be at the start of this. I'm gonna have quite a
few in my fly box.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old March 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Tom Littleton

Reid notes:
At Penns this year, we may be at the start of this. I'm gonna have quite a
few in my fly box.

actually, we may be well into it, and yes, you have destroyed one of my
surprises for the fly tying season!!
this communications
revolution sucks sometimes,
Tom
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Scott Seidman

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in
:

They do come out every year, to a small extent. The Brood X group is
know for the massive hatch and covering roads and windshields. It is
also know as one of the weirdest dry fly hatches in existence.
Evidently, they are so big that only the big fish can eat them. They
plop on the water (through poor flying skills) and buzz around.
At Penns this year, we may be at the start of this. I'm gonna have
quite a few in my fly box.

The last big hatch I was through was during my college graduation in 1987.
I think its the same brood. They were everywhere

Scott
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Willi

Anybody ever fish during a heavy Cicada hatch?

I would think it would bring the big fish up until they got stuffed
which wouldn't take Many considering the size of the bugs. So it seems
to me the fishing could work out two ways: be great or it could suck if
enough of them fall into the water to satiate the fish.

Willi

Old March 13th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Tom Littleton

Willi asks:
Anybody ever fish during a heavy Cicada hatch?

It's sort of a wierd thing, albeit I have only fished during two decent years
of cicadas..
They don't cover the water like an aquatic hatch, but they are clumsy fliers at
times and randomly blunder onto the water. When they do so they flat-out scare
smaller fish, but the big ones nail them like they do hoppers out west. Thus, a
large, dark ugly dry fly that lands with a "plop" tends to raise big fish. It
helps considerably to know the lies of said fish.
Tom
p.s. The actual pattern need not be fancy at all. Just have to make the body
about
an inch and a half long and fat. Deer hair works well for wings, but the
naturals can't float long or swim worth a damn.

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Wolfgang

ten.tsacmoc@alekamm wrote in message
Sounds like a banner year for night fishing..

Well.....yeah.....if they come out at night.

Wolfgang
p.s. they don't.

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Wolfgang

"ArnSaga" wrote in message
...Depending on where you live, you might hear
cicada buzz every summer...

Yep, as ubiquitous in southern Curdistan as brats, cheese, mosquitoes and
beer from late July or early August through October.

Wolfgang

Old March 16th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Larry and a cat named Dub

The first time I fished the hatch it was not catching fish it was releasing
them I caught so many gills my hands were swollen from the water and my
hands were bleeding from the dorsal fins I have some pictures of the
hatch if I can find them I will post them Big fish yes I got the big Bull
gills

Old April 13th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Mike Connor

"rw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
nk.net...
SNIP
Pure coincidence. Just ask Wolfgang. He knows everything.

That must be particularly galling for you? Your green slip is showing
again.

Why not go and tow a WF line around the redds in your belly boat? That
should remove some of the sting. Saves casting the monstrosity as well.

MC