"fish" in Phoenix ?

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default "fish" in Phoenix ?

Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? warm water?
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Feb 24, 12:57*pm, Larry L wrote:

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? * warm water?

What do you consider nearby? Drive east and you can get into trout
fishing in the White and Blue Mountains. Some on Indian Reservations.
You can fish for Apache trout. In the winter I think the Verde is
stocked lower down.

Jon.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 24, 3:25*pm, Jonathan Cook wrote:

What do you consider nearby? Drive east and you can get into trout
fishing in the White and Blue Mountains. Some on Indian Reservations.

A "day trip" distance ... couple hours each way? is what I was
thinking

Second meaning might be ... "If you're going to Phoenix anyway, close
enough to justify going a bit further and spending a few extra days
at, as part of the total trip" ... you know 1/2 day drive, maybe
more, depending on the beauty to be found

um, put another way G how far are these mountains and reservations
from Phoenix?

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Feb 25, 8:15*am, Larry L wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:25*pm, Jonathan Cook wrote:

What do you consider nearby? Drive east and you can get into trout
fishing in the White and Blue Mountains. Some on Indian Reservations.

A "day trip" distance ... couple hours each way? *is what I was
thinking

Second meaning might be ... "If you're going to Phoenix anyway, close
enough to justify going a bit further and spending a few extra days
at, as part of the total trip" *... you know 1/2 day drive, maybe
more, depending on the beauty to be found

um, put another way G how far are these mountains and reservations
from Phoenix?

Larry; there's plenty of fishing in AZ, and some unbelievably
beautiful spots.
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/where_fish.shtml

--riverman
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Feb 24, 5:15*pm, Larry L wrote:

A "day trip" distance ... couple hours each way? *is what I was
thinking

fwiw I've never fished in/from Phoenix so I don't know much but I have
family and friends there and end up over there more regularly than I'd
have guessed I would. I imagine a couple of hours will get you to the
edge of potential "decent" fishing opportunities, especially if you
are thinking trout. btw I'm pretty sure I meant the Salt river in my
last post; I remember taking a drive with my wife one afternoon from
Scottsdale and ending up at a place where I saw a guy flyfishing. I
have friends here who have fished in eastern AZ and have really
enjoyed it, especially I think some of the reservation lakes or small
mountain lakes near the reservations (these might be listed in the
Mogollon rim section on the web site riverman pointed to). Not a day
trip, though.

Second meaning might be ... "If you're going to Phoenix anyway, close
enough to justify going a bit further and spending a few extra days
at, as part of the total trip" *... you know 1/2 day drive, maybe
more, depending on the beauty to be found

Yeah, you have lot's available under those constraints. In a half day
drive you can visit me ;-) (though there's no fishing right here)

um, put another way G how far are these mountains and reservations
from Phoenix?

The website riverman pointed too will show you. Email me when you are
heading down.

Jon.
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-02-24 14:57:57 -0500, Larry L said:

Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? warm water?

To hell with fly fishing in Phoenix. The home of Bob Bondurant driving
schools is just outside of Phoenix. Go there. Give them money. Have
a ball using their Corvettes. Race!

Old February 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
angler[_2_]

On 24 Feb, 20:57, Larry L wrote:
Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az *area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? * warm water?

I would like to add another question: Anyone know of a good fly
fishing shop in Phoenix?
I'm going there on a business trip in 4 weeks time, and thought I'd
buy an extra pair of Simms waders.

/Roger
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Feb 26, 8:01*am, angler wrote:
On 24 Feb, 20:57, Larry L wrote:

Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az *area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? * warm water?

I would like to add another question: Anyone know of a good fly
fishing shop in Phoenix?
I'm going there on a business trip in 4 weeks time, and thought I'd
buy an extra pair of Simms waders.

/Roger

There's a Cabela's in Phoenix and a Bass Pro in Mesa; those are your
best bet. Lots of smallish local fishing shops in Phoenix, but they
will specialize in bass and catfish gear; I'd be surprised if their
supply of FF gear is larger than a coke machine, and if they have any
high quality waders (bass and catfish live in warm water).

--riverman
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 25, 4:01*pm, angler wrote:
On 24 Feb, 20:57, Larry L wrote:

Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az *area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? * warm water?

I would like to add another question: Anyone know of a good fly
fishing shop in Phoenix?
I'm going there on a business trip in 4 weeks time, and thought I'd
buy an extra pair of Simms waders.

/Roger

I saw this as I was looking around .... I have zero experience with
the place and Tempe is a Phoenix suburb, I believe ... where ASU is
located

http://azflyfishing.net/proshop/

Old February 27th, 2011, 04:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Feb 27, 11:50*am, Larry L wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:01*pm, angler wrote:

On 24 Feb, 20:57, Larry L wrote:

Yeah, I could just Google ... but maybe I can wake up a lurker

Looks like I'm likely to be going to Phoenix, Az *area on a fairly
regular basis over the next few years.

Are there places near-by for trout fly fishing? * warm water?

I would like to add another question: Anyone know of a good fly
fishing shop in Phoenix?
I'm going there on a business trip in 4 weeks time, and thought I'd
buy an extra pair of Simms waders.

/Roger

I saw this as I was looking around .... I have zero experience with
the place and Tempe is a Phoenix suburb, I believe ... where *ASU is
located

http://azflyfishing.net/proshop/

Good find! Roger, where in Phoenix will you be? Is a pretty spread-out
city, and this shop is in Tempe (pronounced tem-PEE for when you tell
the cabbie), which is SE of the airport and city center.

If you want to find a good supply of outdoor gear for a good price
(tents, etc), then the Bass Pro shop is only a couple of km further
east from the Tempe fly shop. Mesa is the next neighborhood east of
Tempe.

--riverman