Can I safely use old "Trilene Big Game" mono line?

Old July 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
GeneS

Default Can I safely use old "Trilene Big Game" mono line?

I found a new spool of 15# green "Trilene Big Game" mono
line in a tackle box. Is it safe to use it, or will this mono
deteriorate in the bottom of a tackle box over 5 or so years?
The tackle box was in an uncontrolled storage shed for
a few years.

Gene

Old July 5th, 2004, 03:44 PM
go-bassn

I've used it in heavier tests for flippin, never had a problem. Of course
I'm not fishin the bass-laden waters Randy is...

As for 5 yr old mono, that's gutsy regardless of the type...

Warren

Old July 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Brad Coovert

I use Big Game all the time, but if the storage gets hot in the summer, the
heat had probably ruined the line. I would not use it.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old July 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Brad Coovert

I wouldn't safely use a new spool of that line off the shelf. That stuff is
horrible. IMO

What problems have you had with the Big Game? I've been using it for years and
have never had any problem. In fact, it's the only Berkley line I would ever
consider using. The 15# and 10# tests have never failed me in any situation.

Old July 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM
GeneS

I was thinking about putting it on some old reels that
the grandkids will be using for perch & crappie. (I'm
replacing all my stuff with PowerPro 30# today:-)

I tied a few different knots to see if the old Trilene
would easily break, and it "seems" to be as strong as new.

Gene

Old July 5th, 2004, 04:26 PM
go-bassn

I'm relatively sure those perch & crappie will have a hard time busting that
15# mono Gene...

Warren

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:38 AM
alwaysfishking

I fish a lake that is loaded with sticks and rocks and that line does not
hold up well compared to other lines I have used. I am constantly retying
line after fishiing "the sticks" as we call it. It doesnt compare to the
yozuri hybrid. That stuff is awesome. Just my opinion

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Brad Coovert

I fish a lake that is loaded with sticks and rocks and that line does not
hold up well compared to other lines I have used. I am constantly retying
line after fishiing "the sticks" as we call it. It doesnt compare to the
yozuri hybrid. That stuff is awesome. Just my opinion

I have some of the Yozuri Hybrid as well and I like it. I manage to get a deal
on it once in a while for about 1/2 price. As for the Big Game, I've never
really noticed it not holding up well, but I retie often, probably more than
necessary and regardless of line brand or type.