Newbie : Downwind or Downfly?

Old March 13th, 2014, 12:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bertie Doe

Default Newbie : Downwind or Downfly?

Will be starting fishing in 3 days, when the season starts here in the UK.
The 2 local lakes (Bodmin Moor Cornwall) are 200 acres and 900 acres.
Rainbow and brown respectively.

I'm a complete newbie and I've been practicing in the farmer's field
opposite the house. Question is, which bank is likely to produce the most
takes?

50 years ago when course or beach fishing, having a tail wind was a big
plus, obviously. Let's assume a light Westerly wind direction, is it likely
that natural flies landing on the water would be blown towards the Eastern
bank?

I going to fish the larger lake first as there are fewer obstructions behind
the angler. It's mainly grass which has been cropped short by overwintering
geese. With 14 kms / 9 miles of bank, some forward planning will be handy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated TIA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colliford_Lake

Old April 29th, 2014, 10:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman[_6_]

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:02:38 PM UTC+8, Bertie Doe wrote:
[...]

Hey Newbie:
When dry fly fishing, the bugs are indeed blown to the downwind bank, so your best strategy is to fish along that bank. Since its hard to cast a dry directly into the wind, a good strategy is to stand stream side so that your casting arm is over the water, and cast along the bank. Be aware that the wind will try to bring your fly into your head, so keep your tip low and your casts wide.

If you are nymph fishing, then they really aren't affected by the wind so you can fish anywhere. However, being able to cast downwind a huge distance is not so useful as you cannot feel your nymph, so having some supporting wind doesn't do much for you. Keep your casts close (10-15 feet) and your line tight.

The third option is if you are able to cast ACROSS the stream because of the wind. In that case, I would cast from the upwind bank, leaving my dry somewhere midstream and let the breeze carry it dead-drift into the shore.

Oh, and this group is long-dead. Come over to Facebook to meet the gang.

--riverman
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bertie Doe

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Riverman, lots of useful info there. Nymphs at the moment, maybe
dries next month if it warms up a bit, so my downwind question is a bit
early.

I have lots more questions, so see you on fb.

Old August 11th, 2014, 01:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bertie Doe

"riverman" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:02:38 PM UTC+8, Bertie Doe wrote:
Will be starting fishing in 3 days, when the season starts here in the
UK.

snip
The third option is if you are able to cast ACROSS the stream because of
the wind. In that case, I would cast from the upwind bank, leaving my dry
somewhere midstream and let the breeze carry it dead-drift into the shore.

Oh, and this group is long-dead. Come over to Facebook to meet the gang.

--riverman

Riverman do you have a link to the fb group? TIA.

Old August 21st, 2014, 09:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman[_5_]

Su https://www.facebook.com/groups/recoutdoorsfishingfly/
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bertie Doe

"riverman" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:02:38 PM UTC+8, Bertie Doe wrote:

Will be starting fishing in 3 days, when the season starts here in the

UK.

snip

The third option is if you are able to cast ACROSS the stream because of

the wind. In that case, I would cast from the upwind bank, leaving my
dry

somewhere midstream and let the breeze carry it dead-drift into the
shore.

Oh, and this group is long-dead. Come over to Facebook to meet the gang.

Riverman do you have a link to the fb group? TIA.

Su https://www.facebook.com/groups/recoutdoorsfishingfly/

Ah thanks for that, I'll take a looksee.