waterboarding

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Default waterboarding

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
rw wrote:

LaCourse and Fortenberry has a curious and telling thing in common.
They're prone to insult someone (me, for example) as being "gay" or
"effeminate." ...

I've never called you "gay" and my calling you "effeminate" is an
accurate observation, you are effeminate right down to your squeaky
little whine. That's why your rough, tough Idaho cowboy shtick is
so hilarious to anyone who has actually met you.

If being called effeminate is so offensive to you as to be insulting
when you are, in fact, effeminate then I would suggest that *you* are
the one who has serious doubts about his own masculinity.

What a little bitch! :-)

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 31, 3:18 am, rw wrote:

That shows to me, Mike, an insightful look into your troubled
personality. Admit it. Life on Usenet (ROFF in particular) isn't like
real life. Get used to it.

The only effective way to deal with these clowns is to laugh at them.

BTW, I have a laughable photo of Fortenberry in his pear-shaped-body
glory, getting ready to jump into the dreaded borrowed belly boat at
Grinder Lake.

It's funny. He was like a duck in room-temperature bowl of gelatin --
barely made it to the fishing spot at the inlet, and then complained the
whole time. Left early. What a wimp.

I'm tempted to post it on abpf. No requests, please. It's too cruel,
even for me.

That is probably correct, for a while I had a great deal on my plate.
Also, I still expected people to be "normal" on here. Obviously silly
of me, but as I wrote, it is easy to be clever with hindsight. And
others often see oneīs mistakes before one sees them oneself.

O would some Power the giftie gie us
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us,
And foolish notion:
What airs in dress and gait would leave us,
And even devotion!

( From Robert Burns. "To a Louse")

I really have no interest at all in what he looks like, and I really
have no interest in denigrating or deriding him gratuitously or for
any other reason than his behaviour towards myself and others on here.

I donīt think itīs a good idea for you to do it either, but of course
that is your affair. It is tempting to retaliate in kind, but if you
do, then you are no better than he is.

He calls you gay, so you call him fat and ugly, etc etc etc. Just
pointless, and then both parties are guilty of the same sin.

If he tells a lie about you, and you call him a liar, that is another
matter entirely. You are merely defending yourself, and with the
truth.

TL
MC
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Mike wrote:

That is probably correct, for a while I had a great deal on my plate.

No one here really cares what's on your plate.

Occasionally someone chimes in with a sad story, and they typically
receive the obligatory condolences. Fortenberry is a master of
exploiting that -- recruiting sympathy for his dog dying or his stroke
or whatever. Others are sincere.

If I were dying in agony of bone cancer, ROFF is the last place I'd
announce it.

Also, I still expected people to be "normal" on here. Obviously silly
of me,

You said it.

Old December 31st, 2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:49:08 -0500, JR wrote:

Opus--Mark H. Bowen wrote:
"JR" wrote
wrote:

...and it's effective, too...

Yeah? How do you know?

I believe Richard was correcting the ROFF's own Theo-Neocon's grammar.

I got that, Op. Way I read it, though, after correcting Dave, he
went on to say the technique itself was effective.

Hellfire, man, didn't you read Steve's cite...are you suggesting not
only that Steve would post things that aren't the story, the whole
story, and nothing but the story, but also that he could even find
things on the internet that aren't 100% legit and accurate? It should
be clear that the anonymous poster Steve found on the internet and cites
as evidence thinks it is effective...what more solid-as-a-rock, concrete
proof could you want?

Richard, if that's what you meant, how do you know?

I could tell you how, but then, I'd have to kill you. Well, maybe not
kill you, but I'd have to do something to you, like mess up your hair or
frog your arm or something...

Happy Holidays,
....and on a more serious note - do you doubt that it is effective?
Here's an interesting thing: The debate, seemingly and for most, is
not over its effectiveness in making people disclose information, but
rather, whether or not it is or isn't "torture." Take, for example, the
recent coverage of the ex-CIA agent's information - he states plainly
that it is effective, but he considers it "torture" and is opposed to it
being done. But many or most of those (but importantly, not all)
opposed to "torture" claim that "torture" isn't effective or reliable as
a method of gaining information.

Old December 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"rw" wrote in message
If I were dying in agony of bone cancer, ROFF is the last place I'd
announce it.

hell, I'll go you one better and suggest that ROFF is among the things I
wouldn't waste time on, in that situation......
Tom

Old December 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

rw wrote in news:13nbffg4cq3hu31
@corp.supernews.com:

It's torture. Plain and simple.

Now, rw, if it was good enough for the Holy Inquisitors, it should be good
enough for us.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 31, 5:08 am, rw wrote:
Mike wrote:

That is probably correct, for a while I had a great deal on my plate.

No one here really cares what's on your plate.

Indeed, and that was one of my basic mistakes, along with assuming
that anglers on an angling board would be very interested in angling,
and friendly towards each other as a result of their common interest.

If none of this can be taken seriously, or has any bearing on the
"real" world, then it is just a monumental waste of time.

TL
MC
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 31, 1:52*am, wrote:
snip

Three direct questions for you:

Do you consider waterboarding (as typically described here and in the
MSM) as torture?

Do you believe it is effective in eliciting truthful and useful
information?

Do you believe it is a practice the United States of America should be
utilizing?
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

rw wrote:
BTW, I have a laughable photo of Fortenberry in his pear-shaped-body
glory, getting ready to jump into the dreaded borrowed belly boat at
Grinder Lake. ...

The first and last time anyone will ever see me in a goddamned
belly boat. Stupidest way to fly fish I ever encountered and I
thought that *before* I got talked into trying it. Give me my
canoe any day.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

rw wrote:
Occasionally someone chimes in with a sad story, and they typically
receive the obligatory condolences. Fortenberry is a master of
exploiting that -- recruiting sympathy for his dog dying ...

I was sorry to hear about Arlo. I suppose you'd say that you
exploited my sympathy but funny thing is, I didn't feel the
least bit exploited.

--
Ken Fortenberry