waterboarding

Old December 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ray or Bobbi Adams

Default waterboarding

"rb608" wrote in message
"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
If waterboarding would save the life of your wife, children, and
boyfriend, would you be in favor of it? Yeah, me too.

Turn that around. Suppose your wife or child was mistakenly taken captive
by a foreign government who thought they had valuable information. Would
it be okay if they were waterboarded? Hell no; and that's the same
outrage you should have when our country does it.

With all due respect, the false choice you posit is bull****. It assumes
that you *know* you have the right person, you *know* they possess the
information you seek, you *know* that information is valid and timely, and
you *know* they will give you the correct information under torture. But,
the fact is, you can know none of that with certainty before you begin the
torture. Further, even with information you glean in that manner, you
can't be certain it is truth or made up to stop the torture. IOW, you're
going on an inhuman fishing expedition (OBROFF).

Torture is one of those crimes that simply cannot be excused. There can
be no double standard. If we can do it to them, they can do it to us. If
we can do it to save our children, they can do it to our children with the
same moral authority. I cannot excuse or condone that.

Joe F.

sure beats beheading

Old December 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Dave LaCourse wrote:

There is no double standard. They practice REAL torture. Ask John
McCain.

Ask John McCain how he feels about waterboarding. He's the only one of
the pathetic bunch of Republican candidates who has the guts to call it
for what it is.

If waterboarding isn't torture why did the US prosecute and convict a
Japanese officer of war crimes for doing it?

Now we know who in ROFF is in favor of torture and who is against it. No
surprises.

Why did the CIA destroy the tapes?

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"rw" wrote in message
Why did the CIA destroy the tapes?

I'm confused. I thought the NFL destroyed the tapes?

Joe F.

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

rb608 wrote:
"rw" wrote in message

Why did the CIA destroy the tapes?

I'm confused. I thought the NFL destroyed the tapes?

Joe F.

Wrong tapes.

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:21:48 -0500, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

Psychological "torture" is common. Sleep deprivation. Constand loud
music/sounds. Waterboarding is psychological. There is NO physical
harm. And, it is affective.

Um, "affective?" That's interesting...even Freudian...

HTH,
....and it's effective, too...

If it saves lives (and it has regardless
what you say), then I am for it.

eopcfm

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:12:57 GMT, "rb608"
wrote:

"rw" wrote in message
Why did the CIA destroy the tapes?

I'm confused. I thought the NFL destroyed the tapes?

Because they showed ASU (no, the other one) waterboarding
Patriots...come on, man, pay attention...

HTH,

Joe F.

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 06:53:59 -0800, rw
wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:

There is no double standard. They practice REAL torture. Ask John
McCain.

Ask John McCain how he feels about waterboarding. He's the only one of
the pathetic bunch of Republican candidates who has the guts to call it
for what it is.

If waterboarding isn't torture why did the US prosecute and convict a
Japanese officer of war crimes for doing it?

The US didn't prosecute him (solely, if at all) for "waterboarding,"
they prosecuted him for a number of types of torture, including "water
torture" (that probably _included_ but was not limited to
waterboarding), burning, beating, etc. of POWs and civilians, including
children (done solely for amusement) as well as stealing Red Cross
packages intended for POWs. And they didn't hang him, he was sentenced
to 10-20 years at hard labor.

Now we know who in ROFF is in favor of torture and who is against it. No
surprises.

I seriously any group of "we" that includes "you" knows much about much
in the real world outside of a sheltered academic environ...

And there "we" are,

Why did the CIA destroy the tapes?

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

wrote:

...and it's effective, too...

Yeah? How do you know?
Old December 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:41:27 -0500, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen"
wrote:

Davie, the illiterate expert on Native American ancestories and torture
techniques, stated th

Screw you, fat and ugly redneck.