Little Long Lake, Michigan

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Doug

Default Little Long Lake, Michigan

Hey folks,

I was planning a trip later this week to this lake and just wondered if
anyone had any information on Little Long Lake in Michigan? What fish are
in there? Good baits to use? Good area's to try for Bass? General
information is what I'm seeking. Its the Little Long Lake in Southeastern
Michigan in Hillsdale County. The one where there's 2 other lakes very near
by, and they are Carpenter Lake and Hemlock Lakes. Now my topo map just
says the lake name is "Long Lake" but the guy I talked to said it was LITTLE
Long Lake. Any and all information is very much appreciated! IE: I also
have a GPS so if you would happen to have any POI's for the lake that would
be AWESOME!

TIA,

Doug

Old July 16th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Doug

Well, just in case anyone is curious about the lake or plans on going
there. It's an average of 20' around the edges, plenty of 1 to 2 lb bass,
we banged about 30 or 35 a piece. Somewhere in there, we both lost count
at around 25 or so. We also tagged a few SLAB gills around the 1 lbs range
and we hit 2 walleye a piece. The one was quite respectable weighing in at
6 lb and 10 oz's and the others were around the 3 lb mark. Most of the day
we used black and silver repala's for they seemed to be the most
productive, running around the 10+ mark and bucktail Mepp's were doing
fairly well also. Towards the end of the day we seemed to have better luck
on plow jockey's on a weedy sandbar in the middle of the lake.

All and all we had a fair to good day on the lake but then again, any day
on the lake is a good one! Would like to have seen bigger bass though....

Tight lines all!!

Doug

Old July 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Pepperoni

I'm not familiar with that lake, but it sounds typical for a Michigan lake;
flats 4-5 feet dropping quickly to 15-20 feet. (Weeds growing thick at the
top of the drop-off)

Next time, you can fill the boat with those 11 inch bull bluegills by
fishing crickets on light line about 4-6 feet deep on the deep side of the
weeds. Fishing 5-7 inch chubs deep (10-12 feet) on the second rod will bring
in the larger bass. Fishing 2 inch minnows on light line 6-12 feet deep
cast 20-30 feet from the top of the drop-off (toward deep water) should pull
in large numbers of decent crappies. Any of the lines baited with
minnows/chubs could draw pike/ muskies at any time. (The gills and crappies
will suddenly quit biting just before the pike hit) For excitement on slow
days, place the largest deadest chub or small bluegill 4 feet deep up
against the outside face of the weeds (touching the weeds) Bowfin (dogfish,
grinnel, multiple local names) are great fighters, even if they are
inedible and ugly.

You sound like you spend a lot of time moving and trolling. Those guys in
the rowboat anchored just outside the weeds are filling the boat with meat.
They probably each have a line down deep, and are taking the pike and larger
bass that are too fat to chase a lure.

That weedy bar sounds good. I'd anchor right on it so I could place bait
all around. Minnows and leeches should do well; either floated deep, or on
bright (I prefer yellow) jigs.

Pepperoni
There must be hundreds each of Long lakes, Sand lakes, mud lakes etc. in
Michigan

news

Old July 16th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Doug

Thanx for the input and information there Pepperoni! In my oringinal post,
I had put this as well to help people know where it was for sure.

Its the Little Long Lake in Southeastern Michigan in Hillsdale County.

The one where there's 2 other lakes very
near
by, and they are Carpenter Lake and Hemlock Lakes. Now my topo map

just
says the lake name is "Long Lake" but the guy I talked to said it was

LITTLE
Long Lake. Any and all information is very much appreciated!

AND yes, you are correct, there's tons of lakes with common names there such
as "Long Lake".

Either way, we had a pretty darn good day!! And as they say, "A bad day
fishing is better then a good day working!"

Doug