Does Barracuda eat Barracuda?

Old October 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
BIGEYE

Default Does Barracuda eat Barracuda?

We were trolling off Cape Canaveral when my son hooked up on a King
Mackeral. About 20 yds from the boat, the fish was being reeled in and it
was close to the surface. All of a sudden, a large fish to a bite at the
King, and we were left with only the head. The speed of the bite and size of
the fish and colour made the predator either a large barra or a wahoo.
We trolled back through the same area and hooked up on a barra, same thing
happened with what could have been the same fish due to it's speed, size &
colour. This time we were left with only the head of a barracuda. I have
never seen barra's attack/feed on their own species. Do they, or could this
have been a wahoo.
We did troll around for another 1/2 hour and landed two large barras (almost
5 foot), and they gave a good account of themselves.
TIA

Old October 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Rodney Long

BIGEYE wrote:
We were trolling off Cape Canaveral when my son hooked up on a King
Mackeral. About 20 yds from the boat, the fish was being reeled in and it
was close to the surface. All of a sudden, a large fish to a bite at the
King, and we were left with only the head. The speed of the bite and size of
the fish and colour made the predator either a large barra or a wahoo.
We trolled back through the same area and hooked up on a barra, same thing
happened with what could have been the same fish due to it's speed, size &
colour. This time we were left with only the head of a barracuda. I have
never seen barra's attack/feed on their own species. Do they, or could this
have been a wahoo.
We did troll around for another 1/2 hour and landed two large barras (almost
5 foot), and they gave a good account of themselves.
TIA

Sounds like a shark,, i have had this happen many times when King
fishing, some sharks can hit very fast, I have seen 30# plus Kings, get
hit like this and you reel in a head

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
BIGEYE

I dont think it was a shark due to the speed, also the fish were taken on
the surface and I didn't see the distinctive dorsal fin of a shark as it
broke the surface when it took the fish.

"MoiMoi" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
&
colour. This time we were left with only the head of a barracuda. I have
never seen barra's attack/feed on their own species. Do they, or could
this
have been a wahoo.
We did troll around for another 1/2 hour and landed two large barras
(almost
5 foot), and they gave a good account of themselves.
TIA

I assume the King was of "average" size, like 15 lbs or better?
If so, ain't no way even the largest cuda snarfed everything but the
head off that baby.

I'd also presume shark.

MM

Old October 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Rodney Long

BIGEYE wrote:
I dont think it was a shark due to the speed, also the fish were taken on
the surface and I didn't see the distinctive dorsal fin of a shark as it
broke the surface when it took the fish.

Mako is the fastest fish in the sea, and there are others that are
speedsters, hit so fast I doubt you would even notice the dorsal fin

Like I said,, this is a common occurrence when King fishing,, Sharks
love Kings, and go after them when they are moving in a stressful way.

A solution we have used is when we see something going after the king,
open the bail of your reel so that king can get away from it, then try
again to bring them in,, it actually works,, sometimes :-)

Old October 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Rodney Long

Rodney Long wrote:

If this guy hits your king,, you will never see the fin

http://www.elasmodiver.com/Sharkive%...hark%20051.jpg
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
neilbrrian neilbrrian is offline
Junior Member

We were trolling off Cape Canaveral if my son absorbed up on a King Mackeral. About 20 yds from the boat, the angle was getting reeled in and it was abutting to the surface. All of a sudden, a ample angle to a chaw at the King, and we were larboard with alone the head.