Callaway Gardens - Sunfish

Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:17 AM
Joe McIntosh

Default Callaway Gardens - Sunfish

Currently restrained from tennis and bike riding due to an inflamed (?)
tendon in my heel, I am searching for a mini adventure.

Think Big Dale and his tying crowd are going to Callaway Gardens (one hour
west of Atlanta) and the new Elderhostel Catalog is even offering a week of
fly fishing instruction at the Gardens. I am interested in any information
that you guys can offer me about fishing there.
Realize like it may be like a catfish pond, but they claim to have 14 lakes
(ponds) available. A three weigh with a psychedelic (acquired by numerous
devious trading at numerous clave raffles) might offer some reward. My
squaw could play tennis with the local squires and visit the butterfly
atrium while being a proper Southern gentleman wearing a straw hat and
sear-sucker suit could battle six ounce sunfish.

Any info or suggestions appreciated.

For you historical readers Jeff Shaara's new World War I book has a
beautifully written chapter--almost like free verse poetry--but then drags
through air battles and mud, sort of like the war.

Recently read that Chief Black Elk said that a man who always wears his
moccasins thinks the earth is covered with leather. Asadi and Wolfgang are
offering no kayak trips on Penns this year--think I will have another
Manhattan--Seagram's VO and M&R vermouth.

IJ

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:45 AM
Wayne Knight

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message

Think Big Dale and his tying crowd are going to Callaway Gardens (one hour
west of Atlanta) and the new Elderhostel Catalog is even offering a week
of fly fishing instruction at the Gardens. I am interested in any
information that you guys can offer me about fishing there.
Realize like it may be like a catfish pond, but they claim to have 14
lakes (ponds) available. A three weigh with a psychedelic (acquired by
numerous devious trading at numerous clave raffles) might offer some
reward. My squaw could play tennis with the local squires and visit the
butterfly atrium while being a proper Southern gentleman wearing a straw
hat and sear-sucker suit could battle six ounce sunfish.

Any info or suggestions appreciated.

-First off, leave the damn 3wt home. The bass and bream in those ponds are
huge. My buddy broke a redington 7wt on one of the bass. I caught one that
the hand scale topped out on (8lb)
-Two, get comfortable in a float tube. Best way to fish those ponds.
-Three. Hydrate well, it's warmer there than in Wilmington.

There used to be an Orvis shop on the grounds for supplies and such. And if
you're into such things south of Columbus there's a fairly decent red eye
bass fishery. For the life of my I can't recall the river, I don't think
it's the Chattahoochee but I've been wrong at least once in my life. The
ponds used to be assigned on a beat basis and if I recall the price was not
on the low side but if you're fishing without the shop guide I assume it
will be less expensive.

Ifin you're intetested in the red eye bass fishery drop me a note and I'll
look through my notes or make a few calls to get the river right.