Fly Fishing Rods

Old September 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane

Default Fly Fishing Rods

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes

snip

Just a Ford.... KA :-)
Difficult to get a decent rod in the back though!

you want to try getting a 14 foot double hander into a mini???
Even in 3 pieces.... :+)

Your maths are in terrible state - 3 doesn't go into 14...:-)

How are things Dave - any salmon this season yet?

Hi Bill - sadly no - not yet. The river has been up and down like a
yo yo, and I don't think that I have ever seen it so high - bit dodgy
being down there sometimes. I've been flogging away at all of my
favourite places, and a whole bunch of new spots, which have been quite
nice to explore - but just the once had the line suddenly slap tight -
really gets the heart going, doesn't it? It's chucking it down again
this morning, so no prizes for guessing where I'll be later today :+)
I was up at Idwal over the weekend, had a bunch of small trout, but
might not make it up there again before the end of the month, and we
didn't seem to get the mass heather fly fall - still time yet if the sun
should suddenly decide to reappear.

cheers

Old September 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave Lane
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:
[...]

Dave

I've only been out twice this year :-(

I fished when the Tawe Disabled Fishers visited a local put an take
fishery. I managed three nice rainbows on each occasion. All the fish
weighed near as dammit 2.5 lbs each -(well graded stockies)

Our local river - the Tawe has really been showing its strength this
year with all the rain we've had up the top end of the Swansea Valley.
--
Bill Grey

Old September 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article valid,
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
wrote:

Just spent a couple of weeks in Ireland, far -too much- water though. There
were a couple of Shannon tribs we could have fished but even finding the
river under all that floodwater would have been a feat.

Hi Derek whereabouts were you? I've been thinking it would have been a
great season on the Irish rivers I usually fish on the Foyle system -
it's rare for Irish rivers to have more water than they can handel.

We were touring, looking for any sort of fishing. On the RTE news there were
bridges washed out on some of the E coast rivers, Ireland had a -lot- of
rain. Caught a few mullet and bass of the shore and some small coarse fish
but the trip, generally, was below par.

I did have one sea-trout follow a lure on a rocky foreshore at the start
of the trip - looking for bass that day.

I'm sure those with local knowledge could have taken a few salmon/sea trout
but the sheer weight of water meant that detailed local knowledge was
essential and, significantly, no locals were out.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:
[...]

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?

Old September 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?

If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
riverman

On Sep 17, 7:55*pm, "W. D. Grey" wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes

*Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. *Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. *D'you think it counts?

If it only has thumbprints then No. *It needs fingers to count :-)
--
Bill Grey

Hilarious

--riverman
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely
thumbprints all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?

If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)

groan....
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:55:59 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?

If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)

Gylwnn yslyn g'dyn baegig f'ubyar laegogll drflyyl yyyyl aeaeaeae...

y Gymraeg,
....hyll, evyn y'll Welsh f'ylks wyll, er, pry'll wyndyr...thym whyt
dysn't spyek 'th lyngynge wyll wyndyr...
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

On Sep 19, 5:53*am, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:55:59 +0100, "W. D. Grey"

wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes

*Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. *Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. *D'you think it counts?

If it only has thumbprints then No. *It needs fingers to count :-)

Gylwnn yslyn g'dyn baegig f'ubyar laegogll drflyyl yyyyl aeaeaeae...

y Gymraeg,
...hyll, evyn y'll Welsh f'ylks wyll, er, pry'll wyndyr...thym whyt
dysn't spyek 'th lyngynge wyll wyndyr...

Just in case any of you UK lads are wondering, this is one of the real
nasty *******s from ROFF. Treat with caution. Indeed, best to ignore
him altogether.

TL
MC