Jaws dialog question...

Old August 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM

Default Jaws dialog question...

I figured a fishing group was the best place to ask this one...
In the movie Jaws, Robert Shaw playing the part of Quint delivers one of his
memorable speeches in the town hall meeting. It goes: "Y'all know me.
Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for ya, but it ain't gonna
be easy... Bad fish. It's not like goin' down to the pond chasin'
bluegills or something.
Anyone know what that something is? It seems people have different
interpretations of what he said, including "tommycats", tommycots", and
"tommycocks". I've done searches on all three but so far haven't come up
with anything relating to fish. Anyone know what fish he was referring to?
To me it kind of sounds like "tommycats", but it's kind of hard to tell
because in the movie he was sticking a potato chip or something in his mouth
just as he said it.
Thanks for any ideas.
-Kent

Old August 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Pepperoni

.....Maybe "tommycod" (Tomcod)
9-12 inches long (may be 15)
http://octopus.gma.org/fogm/Microgadus_tomcod.htm

link.net...

Old August 10th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Well this is interesting. Pepperoni, your suggestion of "tommy cod" seems
very good because if one does some searches, that's the only variation of
names that actually produces references to a fish by that name, like in that
site you mentioned. I've found several other sites today that refer to both
"tomcods" and "tommy cods". But Ahab, you make a good point, too. While
we don't really know if the "pond" Quint is referring to is a typical
fresh-water pond or the salt water "pond" (which they had in Amity), it
seems more likely that he might be referring to a fresh-water pond simply
because bluegills are fresh-water fish and Quint named both fish in the same
sentence. That's another reason I thought that "tommy cats" was what he
was saying. I assumed that was some type of catfish and that would all make
sense. Except of course for the fact that "tommy cat" just doesn't seem to
be a name of any fish at all and doesn't show up on any web sites that I've
found.

wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:07:05 -0400, "Pepperoni"
wrote:

....Maybe "tommycod" (Tomcod)
9-12 inches long (may be 15)

The frame of reference would lead one to think he was speaking of
fresh water fish.

http://octopus.gma.org/fogm/Microgadus_tomcod.htm

hlink.net...

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Pepperoni

Tomcod are like prawns--- as likely to be in fresh water as salt. brackish
mixed waters. I presume it was chosen because of its small size, rarely
over a foot long.... similar to a large bluegill in size. Not a great
tackle-buster, at any rate.

I live on the Great Lakes. Most of our best sport fish are now adapted from
salt water varieties, but never see the sea. Chinooks, atlantics, cohos,
several types of striper/wiper/white bass hybrids.

Pepperoni

link.net...

wrote:

....Maybe "tommycod" (Tomcod)
9-12 inches long (may be 15)

The frame of reference would lead one to think he was speaking of
fresh water fish.

http://octopus.gma.org/fogm/Microgadus_tomcod.htm

hlink.net...

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Pepperoni

Tomcod are like prawns--- as likely to be in fresh water as salt. brackish
mixed waters. I presume it was chosen because of its small size, rarely
over a foot long.... similar to a large bluegill in size. Not a great
tackle-buster, at any rate.

I live on the Great Lakes. Most of our best sport fish are now adapted from
salt water varieties, but never see the sea. Chinooks, atlantics, cohos,
several types of striper/wiper/white bass hybrids.

Pepperoni

link.net...

wrote:

....Maybe "tommycod" (Tomcod)
9-12 inches long (may be 15)

The frame of reference would lead one to think he was speaking of
fresh water fish.

http://octopus.gma.org/fogm/Microgadus_tomcod.htm

hlink.net...

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Pepperoni

Tomcod are like prawns--- as likely to be in fresh water as salt. brackish
mixed waters. I presume it was chosen because of its small size, rarely
over a foot long.... similar to a large bluegill in size. Not a great
tackle-buster, at any rate.

I live on the Great Lakes. Most of our best sport fish are now adapted from
salt water varieties, but never see the sea. Chinooks, atlantics, cohos,
several types of striper/wiper/white bass hybrids.

Pepperoni

link.net...

wrote:

....Maybe "tommycod" (Tomcod)
9-12 inches long (may be 15)

The frame of reference would lead one to think he was speaking of
fresh water fish.

http://octopus.gma.org/fogm/Microgadus_tomcod.htm

hlink.net...

Old August 12th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Pepperoni

wrote in message

I suggest that a "foot long bluegill" is going to "bust" your tackle
unless you hook him on bass fishing gear -- even then he'll let you
know he was there ;-)

Cheers

I fish 'em on 4# test. They run more like 11 1/4 inches. Not a big problem
on open water, if you don't mind the boat spinning around the anchor rope a
few times. Once a bluegill gets that big, he's too big for most of the pike
to handle. They hunt in packs and fear nothing. I've seen them hunting in
a line at dawn, with their backs out of the water---- looks like a snake or
something moving on the surface. They are swimming with their eyes just
below the surface, hunting bugs, I presume.

People think of bluegills as 4-5 inches and kid stuff, but a limit stringer
of 25 big gills weighs about 50 pounds and is a real "event" on the boat
ramp. People seing a full string for the first time, just can't believe it.

Pepperoni