Tying the Fly on??

Old June 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Tony & Barb Vellturo

Default Tying the Fly on??

Is there a preferred way to insert the tippet though the eye of the
hook depending on the type of fly? (Up thru or down thru the eye?)

Tony
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
riverman

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Wayne Harrison" wrote in

@twister.southeast.rr.com:

"Tony & Barb Vellturo" wrote in message
Is there a preferred way to insert the tippet though the eye of the
hook depending on the type of fly? (Up thru or down thru the eye?)

Tony

hilarious; and just when ya thought that every possible question had
been asked...

wayno (sorry, but i don't know the answer, tony)

For a cinch knot, it should make no difference. I suspect it makes a huge
difference for a Turle knot, though.

I read somewhere before I was a fly fisherman that up through the eye was
better. I remember this because they mentioned that its easier to thread it
down through (with a TDE hook) so most fishermen were doing it wrong. Not
having the appropriate congnitive framework to assimilate that paragidm
meant that I was unable to encode the information in a manner that
effectively let me decode and recall it later, however.

--riverman
(Gotta get my head OUT of these education grad school classes!!!)

Old June 30th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Jeff

My fishing mentor and full-gospel life's work critic, pj, claimed i was
doing something wrong tying an improved clinch by threading bottom to
top (up from the bend of hook). I allowed (silently of course) as how
he was full of **** as the way the fly floated or the purchase of the
clinch knot were not affected by the threading direction. I'm sure the
bend of the eye and the particular knot may implicate a particular
direction for the threading process, but i don't think any of the knots
i tie on hook eyes (clinch, improved clinch, and palomar) are affected.

jeff

:

Old June 30th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Scott Seidman

Jeff wrote in
hlink.net:

:

[...]

I prefer my eggs broken on the small end.

Scott
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:07 PM
rw

Scott Seidman wrote:
Jeff wrote in
hlink.net:

My fishing mentor and full-gospel life's work critic, pj, claimed i
was doing something wrong tying an improved clinch by threading bottom
to top (up from the bend of hook). I allowed (silently of course) as
how he was full of **** as the way the fly floated or the purchase of
the clinch knot were not affected by the threading direction. I'm
sure the bend of the eye and the particular knot may implicate a
particular direction for the threading process, but i don't think any
of the knots i tie on hook eyes (clinch, improved clinch, and palomar)
are affected.

I'll bet only a very small percentage of flyfishermen use a turle knot
(or similar type of knot). So why do nearly all dry-fly hooks have down
eyes? It doesn't make sense. A straight eye should work better. Is this
just a historical accident that has its own momentum? Do they come with
down eyes because people EXPECT down eyes?

Old June 30th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Bones

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:07:52 -0600, rw
wrote:

Scott Seidman wrote:
Jeff wrote in
hlink.net:

[...]

I still use the turle knot because that is the first knot I was
taught by my father. It's a subtle reminder of him on the river. I
have in the last few years, tied more bugs on straight eye hooks just
because it is so much easier to tye a clinch at dusk :-)
Harry Mason
www.troutflies.com
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:30 AM
Wolfgang

"rw" wrote in message
m...

I'll bet only a very small percentage of flyfishermen use a turle knot
(or similar type of knot).

Safe bet, I'd guess.

So why do nearly all dry-fly hooks have down
eyes?

Why not?

It doesn't make sense.

Why not?

A straight eye should work better.

For what?......and why?

Is this
just a historical accident that has its own momentum?

Could be.

Do they come with
down eyes because people EXPECT down eyes?

Maybe.....today. Forty thousand years ago?.......I'd guess not.

Wolfgang
ANOTHER night without sleep!