Fly Patterns: East vs. West

Old March 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Default Fly Patterns: East vs. West

Ya know now that I think about it there was one year that the orange
did work better than the yellowish.....could it have been the
diet.......Maybe the flood stirred up something that changed the color
a bit.... of course I am just guessing only the sulfur knows for
sure......But the yellow worked better on fishing creek than the
orange right frankie stan jim and anyone else that went with me that
year.....

The Handy One

Old March 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Tom Littleton" wrote

come to Penn's, Larry.

I'd like to, Tom

But it ain't going to happen for many reasons. The main one can be seen
easily by getting out your Rand McNally and noticing how far it is from
California to Pennsylvania G

I don't like planes ( now that I think about it the last long flight I took
was from Pittsburg, Pa to SF ), and my truck is 15 years ( 254,000 miles )
old.

And I fish on a tight budget. I'd guess I spend less, ... fuel, license
fees, tackle, food, lodging, everything ... to fish 3 1/2 months a year
than many here do on new rods each year, or a one week trip. Not meant as
a whine, or a brag, but closer to the latter.

I could pay for flights and motels and eating out, but only in trade for
something. And there are unspoken limits to my trout bumming agreed to
with my beloved bride of 30 years that might be stressed, if I were to get
all fancy Dan about it.

The plan is for a new truck after the kid finishes college. I'm mentally
prepared for tomorrow if it dies then .... however that sweet old Cummins
has yet to burn an ounce of oil and feels strong still. The body started
falling apart the first week ( I used to think that there were a lot of very
old Dodges on the road, after owning one I now know that there are a lot of
very old LOOKing Dodges on the road ) and is now held together with patches
of various materials and coats of primer red, and gray, spray paint.

But then I ain't much fer fancy looks and image vanity. I have come to
treasure the beat-up old Okie impression I give in my rig, and get a chuckle
at some of the looks I get ( honest, "I'm a clean cut kid and I've been to
college, too" :-).

HEHE Last year while buying propane for the trailer, an Idaho kid
pumping it noticed my license and mumbled, "California?" ... I replied,
"Well I consider myself partly Idahoan, I summer here in my trailer"......
"You didn't drive THAT from California!! " ..... "Yep, towing a 25 ft
trailer." .... "No, .. no you didn't !" .... and he meant it, he honestly
couldn't believe I'd get more than 20 miles from home in my loveable old
diesel truck.

I once had a very, very, well bred Labrador I named 'Diesel' When asked
why, I'd reply, "Because I want him to be tough, strong, and built for the
long haul." Sadly, he misunderstood my intentions in naming him. He
turned out to just be very noisy and smell bad

hum, another meaningless ramble brought to you by approaching senility
OH, I went to fish this evening in the rain, but the entire tumbler and lock
of my ignition came out in my hand when I tried to remove the key ( no
**** ) ... so I shoved it back in, got the truck running and went to a shop,
they have a new lock ordered now and probably can put it in in a couple days
.... but, no fishys for me today :-(

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

JR wrote:
rw wrote:

the truth about refusals, snipped

So, how was the Mexico trip?

- JR

I'm not inclined to post any personal information, including trip
reports, to ROFF, because it has become a **** hole -- a disgraceful
display that is not fit for a grown man.

I still check in on ROFF from time to time, hoping that it will improve,
but I'm not optimistic. In ROFF, as in so many other public forums, a
handful of assholes spoil it for everyone else.