Advice for sharpening hooks...

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM
James Horner

Default Advice for sharpening hooks...

I'm looking for a little advice, technique, or tool to ensure I've always got a
sharp hook tied on. Do you guys have any tried and true ways of sharpening a
hook? I mean any hook. A jig hook, worm hook, spinnerbait hook, or any other
for that matter. Obviously the ideal situation would be to purchase quality
hooks, but even then I've gotten some Gami's that weren't as sharp as I thought
they should be. I've tried numerous files but have only received mediocre
results. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

-Jim
http://www.teamhornerfishing.com
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Charles B. Summers

Bob Rickard, aka Mr. Spinnerbait, passed along one of these little
sharpeners (http://tinyurl.com/38qh7) to me when I took over assembly of
Secret Weapon Spinnerbaits. Along with the sharpener, he also provided
instructions on how to use it.

This one has a little slot for running the hook down, but do not use it.
Instead, use the flat part, and sharpen your hook in a triangular point
instead of a round point. Bob would send the hook down the shaft three
times, on three edges. When he was done, that thing would almost penetrate
your fingernail. It takes some time to learn, and is better off watching him
do it, but once you understand... it gives you a very sharp hook.

--
Charles Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old May 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM
James Horner

Thank you, Charles. I will give it a shot.

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:56 PM
IBNFSHN

A friend of mine had one that looked like a pencil and did a great job, but
I haven't been able to find one.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:57 PM
IBNFSHN

I should have read further, that looks like it.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Old May 16th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Marty

Charles B. Summers cbsummers@(bellsouth)(dot)(net) wrote in message

Instead, use the flat part, and sharpen your hook in a triangular point
instead of a round point.

Charles, I have no doubt that this works well, but if you're using the flat
side, how is this superior to a regular hook file?

And, by the way, being the klutz that I am, the wider surface on a regular
file makes it less likely that the hook will slip off and stick me.

Old May 16th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Bob Rickard

The flat diamond file is superior because it is used INTO the point, not
from behind. Stroking into the point leaves a clean edge without any
rollover burr. No steel hook file is ever capable of producing as sharp a
point or surface as can the flat diamond file, any more than you could ever
sharpen a knife with a steel file.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)