spinning reels for shark

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Bill Ashcraft

Default spinning reels for shark

I'm looking for a new spinning reel for shark fishing. We tend to target
sharks in the 4' - 8' range for catch and release. Over the last couple of
years, I've had great success with bait runner style reels which give the
blacktips and bulls time to chew a bit without feeling resistance. That's
the style I'm leaning toward for the new setups and I'd like something
that's extremely salt resistant and will take a lot of line. Any
recommendations or personal experience?

Bill

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Allen

Bill
You didn't say where you were going to be fishing from,
but here is what I use... My reel of choice....
is a Penn 706z... a odd reel, but tuff as hell! It has BIG
bearings! BIG drag washers, BIG Coffee Grinder handle
and a large spool.. and bearings in the line roller..No Bail to trip,
and you use a finger to release and pick up the line. I use a rubber
band to hold the line, and when the big one picks up the bait ,
no resistance. The rotor cup has 3 large drain holes to let out
the salt water brought in by the "power Pro" line. It Doesn't
cast to shabby either. The spool is very large,
and doesn't make the line have the curlies. The reel is cheap,
about a $80. Check out this site to see the reel
http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Penn.htm
Sold as a surf reel but does everything well.
Give yourself a chance to learn the reel,
and you will enjoy it. I bought my 1st one in the 70's
and used that one till someone took that one..bought 2 more in
1998, and I'm still fishing with them..
and never had a problem I have them on a pair of Shakespeare
"bws 1102's" 8 footers....Here is a photo of the wife with a small one..
Allen @
http://sea4two.net
P.S.
The photo is of the wife next to a 16' great white
The wife is real...but the Shark is from the Bass Pro shop in Orlando Fl.
I did catch some sharks, but not that big, down here at Ponce Inlet Fl.
"the shark bite capital of the world"

"Bill Ashcraft" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new spinning reel for shark fishing. We tend to target
sharks in the 4' - 8' range for catch and release. Over the last couple

of
years, I've had great success with bait runner style reels which give the
blacktips and bulls time to chew a bit without feeling resistance. That's
the style I'm leaning toward for the new setups and I'd like something
that's extremely salt resistant and will take a lot of line. Any
recommendations or personal experience?

Bill

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaws.JPG (7.9 KB, 464 views)