Constructive Feeback?

Old April 1st, 2005, 04:09 PM
Suart

Default Constructive Feeback?

Hi all,

As a personal test project I've set up a website based on (you guessed it!)
fishing.
There's all the usual stuff like forums, photo gallery etc and I am working
on a couple of other things to add to it but i'd really appreciate it if I
could get some constructive feedback. Is it easy to use, easy on the eye
etc. Also Is there anything that you would find useful that I could add? I
really want to build this up based on what people want rather than just
adding stuff for the sake of it. I know this borders on spam for which i
apologise (I will not make any further posts) but I would really like to
create a site that my fellow anglers will find useful!

The website is at http://fillmyfishing.net so please have a look around and
feel free to join if you like it.
I look forward to any comments you may have (good or bad!).

Many thanks for reading this far!

Stuart

Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
John

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:09:19 +0000 (UTC), A strange species called
"Suart" wrote:

Hi all,

As a personal test project I've set up a website based on (you guessed it!)
fishing.

There's all the usual stuff like forums, photo gallery etc and I am working
on a couple of other things to add to it but i'd really appreciate it if I
could get some constructive feedback.

I would make the text font size a little bit bigger... or give the
people visiting the ability to change the size through their browser
if they want.

Is it easy to use, easy on the eye
etc. Also Is there anything that you would find useful that I could add? I
really want to build this up based on what people want rather than just
adding stuff for the sake of it.

I know this borders on spam for which i

No. It's not spam. It's on topic, and you usually in most uk newsgroup
are allowed to make a post advertising a site once every few months. I
don't really see your site as a commercial venture at the moment
anyway(?)

apologise (I will not make any further posts) but I would really like to

Don't apologise.

create a site that my fellow anglers will find useful!

The website is at http://fillmyfishing.net so please have a look around and
feel free to join if you like it.
I look forward to any comments you may have (good or bad!).

I like you site its good.

John

Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:15 AM
simon

agree..
font size a little on the small size.

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
lobby

"simon" wrote in message
agree..
font size a little on the small size.

Looks ok but you want a lot of info for members why?

Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Derek.Moody

"Suart" wrote:

As a personal test project I've set up a website based on (you guessed it!)
fishing.

There's all the usual stuff like forums, photo gallery etc and I am working
on a couple of other things to add to it but i'd really appreciate it if I
could get some constructive feedback.

I would make the text font size a little bit bigger... or give the

No. Don't set the font size in the first place. Let the user's own browser
settings dictate what they prefer.

Before fiddling with any little bits make the site verify at:
http://validator.w3.org/

and then bring it up to accessibility AAA at:
http://bobby.watchfire.com/

(Forty or so validation errors and fails even at level A atm.)

Then you'll find that most of the little problems go away and you can
concentrate on content.

Cheerio,

Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
PhilG

Suart wrote:
[...]

Some people have said the font size is to small, it looks fine on my 17"
monitor.

The background color, in my opinion, is a nice gentle blue. Much better
than white urgghhh.

Out of interest, why have you got a drop menu when the links alread exist??

Old April 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Suart

Hi All and many thanks for the feedback.

Lets see... I'll try and answer the points...

The font size looks ok on my monitor but I can imagine that it would look
different on different screens/resolutions. I'll see if I can address this
(not sure how yet!).

No this isn't a commercial venture, I am going to be working on other
commercial sites but wanted to dip my toe in the water first so to speak. I
know I have some google ads that was partly testing that it worked and it
also filled the empty space at the top.

The amount of info that is required for new members is something that is
built in. I am using a free off-the-shelf application and customising it.
All the information is optional except for username, email address (for
verification to stop automatic scripts registering bogus accounts). I may be
able to remove all of the form fields for registration but would need to
make sure it doesn't break anything else.

Thanks for the html validation tip. Again this is an off-the-shelf piece of
software so I will need to go through the code and try to fix those
problems.

The drop down menu again is built in, I considered removing it but didn't
think it was worth the effort.

All in all it looks like the biggest complaint is the font size so I'll see
if I can fix that first.

Many thanks again for taking the time to have a look at the site provide
feedback!

If all goes well and the site does gain some members I'll post an update in
a few months time.

Stuart