New Season - New License

Old April 4th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Alec Powell

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, W. D. Grey, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Look at Ken Livingstone! Communist, Racist, Terror Supporter, Labour
Party Member and Lord Mayor of London!

We are prepare to answer fishing questions to help newcomers to the
sport, so **** off with your politics

Well said Bill, and anyway, what's wrong with being a game fisherman AND
a commie? :-)
(There I go again opening my big mouth!)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

Web Pages:
http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/

Old April 4th, 2005, 07:55 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Alec Powell
writes
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, W. D. Grey, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Look at Ken Livingstone! Communist, Racist, Terror Supporter, Labour
Party Member and Lord Mayor of London!

We are prepare to answer fishing questions to help newcomers to the
sport, so **** off with your politics

Well said Bill, and anyway, what's wrong with being a game fisherman
AND a commie? :-)
(There I go again opening my big mouth!)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Cheers,
Alec

From each according to his ability and to each according to his needs
eh?

I never got any of Dave's single trout last year !

To vindicate Dave, I didn't accept the offer :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Keith.M

Hi All
Seems like I stirred up a bit of life here.
This is not a political rant - it is something which adversly affects most
of us and therefor is as important to us as the types of hook, lines, rods
etc. etc. which are the subjects of most of the postings in this NG

I'm in my 60s and have had a licence each year since I started fishing at
the age of 9 and I still have them all.and to date never have I been asked
to produce it for inspection.
I am also a member of a private syndicate with our own fly waters including
a chalk stream with both native and stocked browns.
My point about the licence was to point out that we are taxed on our sport,
and in paying the tax we are allowed to fish.
We and I suspect most private fisheries both coarse and trout get no help
whatsoever from the EA when our once clean waters having become polluted
with agricultural nitrate fertilise on the run off and ground water become
clogged with all sorts of prol;ific and pesistant weed growth.
We have to pay for counter measures ans remedial work our-selves.

I also shoot and of course I have and have to have a gun licence which is
understandably difficult to obtain.
There is no way that your correspondent can liken a fishing licence and
hence fishing rods to a gun licence and hence guns - the gun licence is an
absolute necessity.

There are over a million anglers in this country.

Collectively we therefor have power - its just that the various leaders of
the national angling bodies do not flex their (our) muscle.

Tight lines and depleted wallets

Keith M

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Alec Powell
writes
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, W. D. Grey, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Look at Ken Livingstone! Communist, Racist, Terror Supporter, Labour
Party Member and Lord Mayor of London!

We are prepare to answer fishing questions to help newcomers to the
sport, so **** off with your politics

Well said Bill, and anyway, what's wrong with being a game fisherman AND a
commie? :-)
(There I go again opening my big mouth!)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Cheers,
Alec

From each according to his ability and to each according to his needs eh?

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Mark Elliott

Look on the bright side.

By buying online you didn't pay any duty on the petrol you would have used
driving to a Post Office now that you can't buy a Licence in a tackle shop.

Mark

"Keith.M" wrote in message
[...]

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Alec Powell
writes
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, W. D. Grey, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Look at Ken Livingstone! Communist, Racist, Terror Supporter, Labour
Party Member and Lord Mayor of London!

We are prepare to answer fishing questions to help newcomers to the
sport, so **** off with your politics
Well said Bill, and anyway, what's wrong with being a game fisherman AND
a commie? :-)
(There I go again opening my big mouth!)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Cheers,
Alec

From each according to his ability and to each according to his needs eh?

Old April 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM
W. D. Grey

In article , Keith.M
writes
[...]

Your second line says "This is not a political rant -"

If not, what is it?.....Don't answer, We don't want another tirade.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
John

Sorry for offending everyone so so much with my reply to Keith.

Yes it did go slightly off topic. That's not to say that politics can
not be on topic with the subject of fishing! I am amazed by how high
the license price is since I last went Fishing in the late 80's early
90's.

And, when you are considering the price of the full license for game
fishing, then if I want I will slag off the EA and the Labour
government, and anyone else I see fit! There's no need to be so
uptight about it. You're like a bunch of old women! Get a life, its
not that big a deal.

So again, sorry for offending all the commies and nitpicking girly-men
in here (cue Bill and Alec). But I have a problem with the EA and the
government and the price of fish(ing). If you want though you can sit
back and let the prices skyrocket while you netcop the newsgroup!

I wonder if netcops ban talk of politics in the uk.rec.fishing.sea NG
after all they've suffered in the last few decades???

By the way, I sent an email to the EA a few days back. I think they
are still digesting the 25 questions I asked them. I'll let you know
their answers when they reply.

Of course I will have to leave out the following:

09) Aren't both the licenses just a tax against people who want to
have enjoyment? It is almost three times more expensive for the
migratory license.

16) Who was responsible for the setting up of the EA? The last time I
went fishing I think it was called the NRA or something?

22) How much percentage of the license money goes back into improving
the waterways in relation to fishing?

25) What does the Environment Agency do to fight stupid people who say
that fishing hurts fish and it should be banned?

In fact I may need to leave out a lot of the questions, they all are
relative to politics in some way. In fact the Environment Agency
itself is an institution of government, and relates to local and
national politics, so perhaps anything to do with the EA should be
classed political and banned by the Nannies of this NG! It will
offend the two grumpy old men in here! You've seen those ads on TV
haven't you? The "Don't Do Politics!" Ads! That's Bill and Alec!

John

Old April 7th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Alec Powell

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, John, gave forth these words of wisdom:
nitpicking girly-men in here (cue Bill and Alec).

I object most strongly to this!
I'll have you know that Bill happens to be one of the most helpful and
friendly fishermen that you could ever hope to meet. He wouldn't dream
of having any left wing tendencies and WHAT WE WEAR UNDER OUR WADERS IS
NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!
Girly-men indeed!
Now **** off and read your Daily Mail like a good little fascist.
Lets get back to what we are really here for. Early reports anyone?
Alec
--
Alec Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

Old April 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , John
writes
It will
offend the two grumpy old men in here! You've seen those ads on TV
haven't you? The "Don't Do Politics!" Ads! That's Bill and Alec!

Ha!-Ha! - We're not really, just flexing out writing fingers.

Come to think of it "Two grumpy old men" just about sums us up :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM
laxhill

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:39:50 +0100, John wrote:

Sorry for offending everyone so so much with my reply to Keith.

Yes it did go slightly off topic. That's not to say that politics can
not be on topic with the subject of fishing! I am amazed by how high
the license price is since I last went Fishing in the late 80's early
90'

In fact for anyone like me who regularly fishes in different parts of
the country the rod license cost is actually a lot cheaper than it
used to be. In days of yore you needed a rod license for each water
authority area. Now you just need one for the whole of England.
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:08 PM
suspicious minds

"John" wrote in message
[...]

The EA was established by the Environment Act 1995 ( Conservative
Government) it has a statutory duty to maintain and improve freshwater
fisheries, this is financed by rod licences. A very high proportion of this
revenue is spent on salmon ( I believe).Coarse anglers are in the majority,
most coarse anglers never fish for migratory salmonids.
Antis are a matter of politics not the EA