Republicans, Bush support 85$ national forest use fee

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Bill Carson

Default Republicans, Bush support 85$ national forest use fee

http://www.aspentimes.com/apps...06015
"
A U.S. congressman who created the controversial recreation fee
demonstration program wants to take it a step further and charge at
least $85 annually for hiking in national forests and visiting other
public lands.

Rep. Ralph Regula recently introduced a bill that would make
recreation fees permanent and expand the powers of the National Park
Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of
Reclamation and Fish and Wildlife Service to charge fees.

The Ohio Republican's bill hasn't been debated yet. If passed, Roaring
Fork Valley residents who are used to walking out their doors and
hitting a trail in just a few minutes would instead be required to buy
an "America the Beautiful Pass" to use public lands. Additional fees
could be charged for motorized vehicle use of public lands, according
to the bill's wording."

--------

http://www.summitdaily.com/app...80104

Bill proposes fee to use public lands

SUMMIT COUNTY - Hikers, mountain bikers and others who recreate in the
national forests could be charged up to $85 for an annual pass under
legislation proposed by a U.S. congressman from Ohio.

Republican Rep. Ralph Regula proposed a bill - called the America the
Beautiful Pass - that would make recreation fees permanent. Summit
County has two recreational fee demo programs where backcountry users
pay a nominal fee to access national forest service lands. One is at
the Vail Pass Recreation Area; the other is at Cataract Lake along the
Gore Range north of Silverthorne.

The proposed bill, which has yet to be debated, has outraged local
backcountry enthusiasts. Additional fees could be charged for
motorized vehicle use on public lands.

"I've been opposed to the fee programs just because I think we pay
enough taxes anyway," said Tom Jones Sr. of Wilderness Sports in
Frisco and Silverthorne. "An annual fee is ridiculous. It might just
turn a lot of people away from going in the backcountry."

"The only way I think that would fly is if it included rescue
(provisions)," said Rachel Sowers of Mountain Outfitters in
Breckenridge. "It's our country. We already pay taxes to support open
space and federal land. I want to see that tax money going to
something good."

"Do you want something that you can print?" fumed Barry Kirkpatrick, a
partner at Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne, who spends time hiking,
hunting and mountain biking in the backcountry. "That's public land.
I'm opposed to any fee. I think it's nonsense."

For the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, based in Norwood, the proposed
bill is an affront to its efforts to abolish such programs.

"It makes criminals of Americans for visiting their own lands," said
Robert Funkhouser, president of the group.

Under Regula's bill, people who visit public lands without paying the
fee would be subject to a fine. But locals wonder how that would be
enforced, particularly in light of the fact that the U.S. Forest
Service is strapped for cash for numerous programs, especially
enforcement.

No one was available to comment from the Silverthorne U.S. Forest
Service office Friday.

Opponents claim the bill will lead to commercialization of public
lands. They envision companies like Disney becoming partners with the
government and handling the administration of access to public lands.

"This is our worst fear," said Funkhouser. "This is what the
recreation industry has been fighting for."

But members of Congress expect Regula's bill to face a tough time.
Blair Jones, a spokesman for Rep. Scott McInnis, R-Grand Junction,
said the congressman is against the Regula bill because he believes
there are unresolved questions about the effectiveness of the
recreation fee program.

McInnis successfully urged the Government Accounting Office - the
nonpartisan, investigatory branch of Congress - to examine the program
earlier this year. The report indicated it has worked for the National
Park Service. The same report, however, questioned whether the Forest
Service has effectively used the funds for maintenance of facilities
and projects.

McInnis wants those issues addressed before the program is extended,
let alone made permanent.

He is the chairman of the House Subcommittee on Forest Health and held
hearings in September on the recreation fee demonstration program.
McInnis has said the program should be fully debated by the House
Resource Committee before it is extended.
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:19 PM
George Cleveland

On 12 Nov 2003 00:18:40 -0800, (Bill Carson) wrote:

[...]

This sucks. Is it in committee yet? Any site that has the full text of the bill
available?

Time to throw out the anti environmental politicians-of whatever party.

g.c.