I pulled an Al

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM
John

Default I pulled an Al

Great post Bob! Thanks for sharing.

Please post a summary of your findings when you get every rod handled. I'd
be interested in your opinion.

Good luck!
John

--
Remove FLY to reply
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I was going through all my rods and could not believe the number of rods I
broke in the last year. I decided to box them and send them back to the
various manufacturers.

Some legitimately should be replaced under warranty for things like bad
guide wrapping or eyelet inserts popping out. Others were broken due to
my
carelessness and a few I just don't know why the broke. With each one I
included an honest description of how they got broken and what was wrong
with them. I also included a check for $10 for return shipping with each
package except for Lamiglass which specifies 14.50 on their website.

Here is what I have so far.

Silstar/Pinnacle. One Rod Sent. The fastest return was from them. I
sent
them a rod I gave my son for his birthday. I set a tool box down on it
when
fishing and broke it. Out of warranty, and definitely not the fault of
the
rod. They sent back a better quality rod than the broken one because the
broken one was no longer in production. No problems, no questions.

St Croix one rod was definitely defective with an insert that had popped
out, and I "found" the tip broken off the other. I think atleast one of
them was less than a year old, but I could not find the receipts. The
arrived the day after the Silstar rod with a note about things I should do
to take better care of my rods.

Quantum. Two rods. Both probably broken from carelessness. No problem.
One was no longer in production so they upgrade to slightly more expensive
rod. I had no receipts included with these rods. These arrived back the
same day as the St Croix rods.

Bass Pro Shops. Returned two identical Bionic Blade IM-8 rods. Both were
defective. One had bad eyelet wrap glue and the eyes were coming off the
other broke mid section when it was picked up with very little use or
abuse
(I don't care for these all that much because they are heavy.) I received
one brand new replacement today, with reason why they only sent one.

Fenwick. Sent two almost new Eagle GT rods along with a receipt for 5
rods.
(I like these for light spinner baits and crank baits.) One was
definitely
defective, and one was stepped on. I haven't yet heard from them. They
received my package on t he 17th.

Lamiglas. Sent one 3 wt rod with receipt, and a check for 14.50.
definitely under warranty damage was questionable. The tip of the rod
broke
off in transit to the ABA classic in November. The rod had seen very
little
use, and I don't think I did anything to damage it. When I took it out of
the rod cover the tip was hanging from the line. I haven't heard from
them
yet. The did cash my check. It hit my account on the 24th. The package
was delivered to them on the 17th.

Pflueger. Sent two rods with no receipt. Both damaged by abuse. No
response.

I would say that Silstar and St Croix both went beyond what they were
obligated to do. I am concerned about Lamiglass and Fenwick. I haven't a
clue what to think about Bass Pro Shops given their normally more than
generous return policy.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
go-bassn

Ah, just think of all thedays we couldaspent fishing but were stuck doing
something else...boggles the mind.

Warren

"D. Norton" wrote in message
I have been back for several weeks now, thought for a moment I might be
headed to Columbia S.C. I have managed to get out once since being home.

No
keepers!

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Custom Rods
"Charles Summers" wrote in message
Ahh... we were there just a couple of weeks ago. I asked about you and

Joe
thought you were still in Georgia since you had the ODF.

I gotta get the Nitro back on the water SOON! Call me if you can ever

get
around Nashville.

"D. Norton" wrote in message
Meet me at Williamsport, your choice of dates!

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Custom Rods
"Charles Summers" wrote in message
Hey Dave, mine are all suffering from lack of use... what are you

going
do about that?

"D. Norton" wrote in message
No Bill, Any rod I build comes with a lifetime warranty.That is my
lifetime
not the end user. If a rod is damaged through no fault of the owner

repair
or replace it, period. That is our policy and it will remain so.

However if the rod has been damaged by abuse or misuse,our policy is

that
we
will repair or replace at the owner's expense. I have actually had

one
guy
tell me that he backed over the rod with his truck. And then had the
unmitigated gall to ask what I would do about it.

In Bob LaLonde's case his poor choice of subject headings says it

all
"I
pulled an Al" indeed !

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Custom Rods

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:26 PM
go-bassn

Was it Fenwick that had a no-charge no-questions-asked policy , at least
years ago?

Warren

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
mhood wrote in :

At least with GLoomis I got absolutely no "attitude". I prefer to
think of myself as honest instead of "stupid" when I freely admit that
my Granddaughter broke my rod in a car window. What impressed me was
that GL wasn't at all interested in judging my story...they just made
it right for about 25% of retail. I don't like being in the position
of having to convince some customer service clown of anything....

That's their standard no-questions-asked replacement policty. $50

standard
ground shipping, more for faster service

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/conte...omepage/custom
erservice/xpeditorinformation.html

Scott

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:39 PM
go-bassn

I dunno, I've kicked a few things after loosing a big fish lol...

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
wrote in message SNIP

I don't think they are honoring the previous lifetime guarantees. I

had the tip break off of a Fenwick blank I built and the people I
talked to at Fenwick were very understanding. They understood they
were not going to stand behind it and there was nothing more to
discuss. Needless to say, I never bought another fenwick.

***I had a Fenwick ultra-light when I first moved to the Rhinelander area.
At the time, I had a trout stream running through my front yard and fished
trout daily. I had a good trout on 4 lb. test line and the rod snapped
between the reel seat and the first guide.

The rod had a lifetime warranty, so I called Fenwick's warranty center.
After I explained the problem and the circumstances, the guy asked me
whether I slammed the rod in the trunk or the car door. I explained that
the rod was kept in a rack in the garage and never went in a vehicle. He
then said, "Oh, the screen door got it, huh?"

He told me to send the rod in, along with a check for $14.00 and MAYBE

they
would replace it, but he didn't think so. At that point, I said, "Well,

you
just lost a customer for life," and hung up. Between now and then, I've
probably bought and/or built for personal use, over 50 rods. Not one of
them has been a Fenwick.

I do not return goods damaged by me unless it is for repair that I pay
for. The only thing I have ever had replaced when I damaged it was my
Swiss Army Handy (leatherman style) tool. I called to see about
getting it repaired and was told there is a lifetime warrenty no
matter what happened. They asked if it had sentimental value, if it
did they would replace the broken part. If not they would just send
me a new tool, no questions asked!!! They sent me a new tool.

If it's something that I broke through my own stupidity or abuse (same
thing), I eat the replacement cost. If a product fails due to workmanship
or materials, and it's under warranty, I'll contact the company.

I'm good friends with the warranty claims guy for St. Croix. You wouldn't
believe the rods that get returned with the expectation of being replaced
for nothing. He showed me one that was crushed right in front of the fore
grip. It had an accompanying note explaining that it failed while playing

big fish. I might have believed it if there hadn't been a visible boot
print on the blank!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:59 PM
mhood

Yes, I remember that they offered to ship a new rod to me Next Day Air for
something like $60. If I were a tournament guy, that would mean more to me,
but I was perfectly happy waiting 4 days on standard UPS.

mhood