Denny Brauer Says . . . . Kevin Van Dam Says. . . .

Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:30 AM
Craig Baugher

Default Denny Brauer Says . . . . Kevin Van Dam Says. . . .

Other than Rick Clunn - who is the only Super Pro I know who doesn't talk
out both sides of his face, do you ever take what any the pro recommend to
heart?

I mean KVD doesn't really use any of the equipment he has his name on, nor
do most of the others. So if Denny Brauer said to you he uses Stren Braid
2/3 of the time, would you believe him? He must use it when all the times
he is not being filmed, for every time I see him on film he has a mono,
fluorocarbon, copolymer, etc., type of line.

BPS and Cabela's are extremely bad at saying the "Pro today is using brand
"X" rod, Brand "Y" reels, and Brand "Z" line.", and yet when the camera
moves on them, they are never using any of the equipment just listed. I
crack up and ask myself, how stupid do they think we are?

It's like going to the weigh-ins at a BFL, EverStart, FLW where only the
event sponsors are allowed to be shown, and everyone is encouraged to say
they use brand "X" line, with Brand "Z" lures to catch all their fish. TD
before the tournament: "Remember boys, if you catch your fish on brand "X"
line and Brand "Z" lures you win an extra $$$. But you have to say it while
on stage." So everybody goes on stage and says, Yep Bob, I caught all my
fish on X & Z.

I guess the purpose of this post is to point out, you can't and shouldn't
trust anything a pro says he is using while at a sponsored event, or unless
you can see them using it with your own eyes.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:28 AM
John Kerr

Craig, for the most part I agree with you, but there are exceptions to
that. There are a few pros around that still have some moral values when
it comes to endorsemments. Having said that, I can still understand the
ones that "tout" the sponsers products...touring is an expensive
undertaking, you have to make the money to keep it going. And you are
only as good as your last year sometimes, so you have to make it while
you can. Each individual must judge for them selves the validity of
endorsements...in any advertiseing venue.
JK

Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:01 AM
Craig Baugher

Trust me John, I am one of those anglers that goes on stage and said, Yep
Bob, I caught all my fish on Brand X&Z. So that I get the extra $$$ if I'm
in the money slots.

I don't blame the guys. I just don't want newbies to think they can rely on
someone's endorsement of a product, especially at a sponsored event. Meet
most of guys just outside the launch gates, and they will tell you the
truth. It's just during the event.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:02 AM
Marty

Craig Baugher wrote in message
Other than Rick Clunn - who is the only Super Pro I know who doesn't talk
out both sides of his face, do you ever take what any the pro recommend to
heart?

I ignore the product endorsements. If he says he's using a Brand "X" medium
7' rod, I don't care if he's lying or not, I figure many brands of medium 7'
rod would be appropriate for what he did. And so on and so forth. I might
listen to what they say about tactics and techniques, but the specific
brands are meaningless to me most of the time.

You might tell me you keep your teeth clean with Colgate, but Crest and Aim
will do just as good of a job.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
go-bassn

Craig, can you provide an example of a product that is endorsed by Kevin,
Denny or any other big-name pro that doesn't work or that some "newbie"
might regret purchasing?

Warren

Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:59 PM
Craig Baugher

Not the point my man. . . . But would you use or recommend a KVD combo?

Old May 24th, 2004, 12:33 AM

You know Craig, I don't buy Strike King lures because KVD & half a dozen
other pros tell me too, but I do throw them from time to time & catch
fish. All the pros use a wide variety of makes & types of lures,so quite
often they are not lying when they are telling the tv audience that they
use a paticular brand. And by the way, what "stage" have you EVER been
up on to tout anything. I get most of the tournament results sent to me
from most of the bigger circuts & some of the smaller bass clubs in Mich
and I've NEVER seen your name on any of the money winners lists. Or are
you talking about the Shore Anglers Assoc. , Thats one that I don't
get. Cut the b.s. and just contribute when when you have something
valid to say.

Old May 24th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Craig Baugher

Didn't fish last year, and most the year before. But I will bet I have
taken more checks home in the two months I did fish in 2002 than you have in
your life!

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Craig, you know nothing about me whatsoever

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:57 AM
go-bassn

Don't know anything about it - would you?

WW

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com