Information on Fly Rod: Poulter

Old March 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

Default Information on Fly Rod: Poulter

Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander with
the Inscription "R.J. Poulter 1973". I bought it from a fellow in
London off of Ebay but my searches for information have come up
empty.

Thanks guys,

Sincerely,

TBone

Old March 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On 10 Mar 2007 08:09:42 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander with
the Inscription "R.J. Poulter 1973". I bought it from a fellow in
London off of Ebay but my searches for information have come up
empty.

Thanks guys,

Sincerely,

TBone

"Big Boy" tomato stakes comes to mind ;-)

Whatever possessed you to buy such a beast?
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Charlie Choc

On 10 Mar 2007 08:09:42 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander

Feeling an urge to pole vault there Timbo? ;-)
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 10, 10:27 am, daytripper wrote:
On 10 Mar 2007 08:09:42 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander with
the Inscription "R.J. Poulter 1973". I bought it from a fellow in
London off of Ebay but my searches for information have come up
empty.

Thanks guys,

Sincerely,

TBone

"Big Boy" tomato stakes comes to mind ;-)

Whatever possessed you to buy such a beast?

Only way I figured I've ever break the 30' mark!

8)

Actually, I spooled up with a #12 shooting head and slick running line
(I think it was a Rio). Pretty darn fun to cast, I have to admit. I
want to hit the inlet of Estes park this spring with it and it seems
very good for the larger rivers and wading lakes. It was kind of
serendipitous that a spey instruction video was on On-Demand the very
day I got it all together which is a story in itself. The rod, a 3
piecer, came with a reel that was falling apart. Didn't care about the
reel but, the pieces were NOT a match. I flamed the guy on ebay (as
dishonest) and it torqued him good. He said I was a liar, that the rod
was perfect. Well, about a week later he said he told his wife the
story who said "why don't you ask our daughter?". He did, sure enough
she had used a section to 'retrieve a hover disk from a tree'. So, the
second (middle section was on its way). It was only then that I
noticed the tip didn't match either!!!! AAAAARRRGHH!!! I called the
guy and he said he thought he might know where it was but I had to
trust him and send the tip I had back. I did, it cost $90 to ship. Lo
and behold, 3 weeks later, I had a completed (and really very nice
rod) together. My guess is was it was an estate sale or something and
the brothers were feuding. They were not anglers. Dude...the thing is
a behemoth. Holy moly, it's hard to even put together in the living
room. But man, 100' is the basic distance. I hit it easy on my first
try.

TBone

Old March 11th, 2007, 01:16 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing
daytripper

On 10 Mar 2007 16:35:53 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

[...]

Well, ok then. But do let us know how your arms, shoulder and back are after
spending an afternoon heaving that thing around...

/daytripper (and get the name of a good therapist near you ;-)
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:56 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 10, 6:16 pm, daytripper wrote:
[...]

Actually, there is some theory theory that it is easier that the
single handed rod...and I believe I've heard spey rods recommended for
people with back or strength issues, very fluid, both arms engaged,
easier to get the distance. Definately king-kong of roll-casting.

Your pal,

TBone

Old March 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 10, 3:59 pm, Charlie Choc
wrote:
On 10 Mar 2007 08:09:42 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander

Feeling an urge to pole vault there Timbo? ;-)
--
Charlie...http://www.chocphoto.com

OTOH

http://aussiefly.com.au/doublesone.htm

"Please be warned that once infected by the Overhead power disease you
will always need another 140 foot fix. Here we talk about a 120 foot
cast as a mistake/bad cast, here we reach distances others only dream
of and think impossible."

Hope you're doin' well Charlie...

Sincerely,

TBone

Old March 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Charlie Choc

On 10 Mar 2007 19:15:33 -0800, "Halfordian Golfer" wrote:

"Please be warned that once infected by the Overhead power disease you
will always need another 140 foot fix. Here we talk about a 120 foot
cast as a mistake/bad cast, here we reach distances others only dream
of and think impossible."

Hope you're doin' well Charlie...

Hope you're doing well too, Tim. Most places I fish I can't even *see* 120' of
water, more less 140'. ;-)
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Halfordian Golfer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I seek information on a fly rod. It is a 14' Bamboo Double Hander with
the Inscription "R.J. Poulter 1973". I bought it from a fellow in
London off of Ebay but my searches for information have come up
empty.

Thanks guys,

Sincerely,

TBone

Sometimes the inscription is of the owner of the fly-rod. I've tried
to search RJ Poulter as a builder, but came up empty.
If you could take a picture of the signature wraps, the handle
and cork, and tell me the number of pieces, also the weight,
I may be able to help identify your fly-rod in question.

Here is another link for a good source to help identify your fly-rod:
http://p205.ezboard.com/The-Classic-...sicflyrodforum
fwiw,
-tom