Green River

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Green River

I managed to get over and fish the Green River while in Utah, and I
_really_ enjoyed it. Short synopsis, lot's of browns on dries, plus a
few bows thrown in, nothing huge but I'm _plenty_ happy with fish like
these:

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020048.jpg

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020068.jpg

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020092.jpg

Ken would be proud of me, never a split shot nor a weighted fly nor an
indicator touched my rig, it was dry flies all the way. The shop I
stopped in had a report that said "fish are getting selective!", so my
first thought was "go small". I avoided the tempation of buying some
cicada dries, but did buy a couple of hoppers, crickets, and flying
ants, at the small end of the recommended sizes.

First fish above took a #14 ant as he finned in a side channel about a
foot deep. so did five others in a couple of hours of fishing on a hot
sunny Monday afternoon (landed four total).

Tuesday morning at 7am I was the only one gearing up in the parking
lot at Little Hole, and saw only two other fishermen all morning.
Being lazy I started out with the hopper again, even though I thought
it a bad choice in the cool morning. One 13" bow took it shortly, but
then I watched a couple of other fish rise and refuse it. It looked
like some baetis activity was happening, and some sporadic rises were
around, so I put on a #20 adams and the rest of the morning was
awesome fishing, I've no idea how many hit or how many I landed,
probably around 10 landed, some real fine browns that I didn't snap
pictures of. Burned through four or five flies chewed up or lost
before I had to quit around 11:30.

Went back for a couple of hours in the evening on Tuesday. Fish were
hitting a cricket for me, mostly right along the bank. Caddis in the
air got very thick towards the end, and lots of fish rising out beyond
casting range for me, but fish kept hitting the cricket along the bank
until about 8:30, then started refusing it. I had caught enough so I
just cut my fly off and left.

Nice river, I hope to return,

Jon.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

wrote:
I managed to get over and fish the Green River while in Utah, and I
_really_ enjoyed it. Short synopsis, lot's of browns on dries, plus a
few bows thrown in, nothing huge but I'm _plenty_ happy with fish like
these:

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020048.jpg

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020068.jpg

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Pics/green/P1020092.jpg

Ken would be proud of me,

Don't be too sure, after all, that is a tailwater. :-)

never a split shot nor a weighted fly nor an
indicator touched my rig, it was dry flies all the way. The shop I
stopped in had a report that said "fish are getting selective!", so my
first thought was "go small". I avoided the tempation of buying some
cicada dries, but did buy a couple of hoppers, crickets, and flying
ants, at the small end of the recommended sizes.

First fish above took a #14 ant as he finned in a side channel about a
foot deep. so did five others in a couple of hours of fishing on a hot
sunny Monday afternoon (landed four total).

Tuesday morning at 7am I was the only one gearing up in the parking
lot at Little Hole, and saw only two other fishermen all morning.

You sure you were on the Green? That's cool.

[...]

Good stuff, Jon. Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Russell
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Willi and I fished the Green in Wyoming a few days ago. We started out
at Fontenelle (a tailwater). The reservoir was so full that they were
dumping water and it was too high to fish.

Then we went to the upper Green at Warren's Bridge and caught some very
nice browns. Willi figured it out, as usual.

Then we went to the upper upper Green. There we so many mosquitoes that
we wouldn't get out of the camper. It was unbelievable -- worse than
anything I've seen before, even in Alaska and Minnesota.

Old July 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote in message
Nice river, I hope to return,

Jon.

Cool to see a productive TR after the questions regarding the visit to the
Green a month or so ago...

Thanks,
JT

Old July 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 17-Jul-2008, wrote:

[...]

========================

Great TR

Thanks and thanks for the photos - nice fish

Fred
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jul 17, 5:02 pm, rw wrote:
Willi and I fished the Green in Wyoming a few days ago. We started out
at Fontenelle (a tailwater). The reservoir was so full that they were
dumping water and it was too high to fish.

Then we went to the upper Green at Warren's Bridge and caught some very
nice browns. Willi figured it out, as usual.

Then we went to the upper upper Green. There we so many mosquitoes that
we wouldn't get out of the camper. It was unbelievable -- worse than
anything I've seen before, even in Alaska and Minnesota.

Agreed. A friend owns the last private stretch on the UUGreen -- 40
acres with a large oxbow through it. It is uninhabitable before the
frost in the fall. But for about eight weeks, it is the best fishing
there is. You have to watch for cow/calf moose, however. Momma gets
****ed when you get between them. All hail elk hair caddis.

cheers

oz, longtime WY resident now deeeeeep in the Ozarks, but will be in
the Snowies next month.