Best connection between salmon fly line and leader?

Old April 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
The Leaping Frog

Default Best connection between salmon fly line and leader?

For salmon / sea trout fishing, what connection would you recommend between
fly line and leader to optimise solidity whilst ensuring optimum
transmission of energy between fly line and leader.?

I currently use a braided loop but would welcome suggestions?

Many thanks
Jerome

Old April 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Guy Thornberg

Jerome,
Two of my braided loops have come loose in the past two years (one resulting
in the loss of a + 15" trout). Maybe I did not attach them properly
and/or the shrink wrap failed to keep the braided leader in place. A no
confidence vote from me (especially for Salmon & Steelhead).

I reverted back to the nail knotted leader loop which has never failed me.
John Cook mentioned, in an earlier post, a plastic line to leader connector
that looked very interesting that is available through Cabela's. Small,
compact and lessens the possibility of the loop hooking the leader or fly
while casting (at least in my case). A search for "tapered leader loop" on
google brought back the attached page which shows an Eagle Claw connector
similar (I think) to the Cabela's connector. I would like to hear from
others their experience and opinions regarding line to leader connections
and especially the connector John spoke of.
Guy
"Beware of the Dog & the Cat is not trustworthy either"

http://www.fly-fishing-guides-new-ze...onnections.htm

Old April 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:06:05 -0500, "Guy Thornberg"
wrote:

Jerome,
Two of my braided loops have come loose in the past two years (one resulting
in the loss of a + 15" trout). Maybe I did not attach them properly
and/or the shrink wrap failed to keep the braided leader in place.

Instead of the shrink wrap, whip finish over the end of the loop and put a
little Aquaseal on it. The biggest problem with the loops coming off I've seen
is when they are pulled through the guides and 'pushed' off the end.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
Old April 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Guy Thornberg

Good idea Charlie and good morning. I even added a drop of super glue to
keep the tapered leader in place while pulling it taught and then heating
the shrink wrap for a "tighter fit".

Old April 9th, 2005, 02:14 PM
GaryM

Charlie Choc wrote in
:

Instead of the shrink wrap, whip finish over the end of the loop
and put a little Aquaseal on it.

I like it. Thanks for the tip (no pun intended).
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:27:32 -0500, "Guy Thornberg"
wrote:

Good idea Charlie and good morning. I even added a drop of super glue to
keep the tapered leader in place while pulling it taught and then heating
the shrink wrap for a "tighter fit".

The braid needs to be able to stretch in order for the "Chinese handcuff" effect
to work, so don't glue the loop end of the braid to the line.
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Ken Fortenberry

The Leaping Frog wrote:
For salmon / sea trout fishing, what connection would you recommend between
fly line and leader to optimise solidity whilst ensuring optimum
transmission of energy between fly line and leader.?

The only thing I ever use anymore is a nail knot. I've tried
the gadgets and geegaws but there is nothing more elegant,
effective and fail-proof as a well tied nail knot.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:09 PM
rw

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

The only thing I ever use anymore is a nail knot. I've tried
the gadgets and geegaws but there is nothing more elegant,
effective and fail-proof as a well tied nail knot.

The needle knot is better because it makes a smoother transition through
the guides. Its only disadvantage is that it's not practical to tie in
the field.

Old April 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Ken Fortenberry

rw wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
The only thing I ever use anymore is a nail knot. I've tried
the gadgets and geegaws but there is nothing more elegant,
effective and fail-proof as a well tied nail knot.

The needle knot is better because it makes a smoother transition through
the guides. Its only disadvantage is that it's not practical to tie in
the field.

I don't like it because I don't like poking a hole in
my fly line. And I don't think a needle knot has any
practical advantage over a well tied nail knot although
I will admit to nicer aesthetics.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Danl

"rw" wrote in message
nk.net...
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

The only thing I ever use anymore is a nail knot. I've tried
the gadgets and geegaws but there is nothing more elegant,
effective and fail-proof as a well tied nail knot.

The needle knot is better because it makes a smoother transition through
the guides. Its only disadvantage is that it's not practical to tie in
the field.

I've been experimenting with the nail-less nail knot and the needle knot
version thereof. Why do you say that it's not practical to tie a needle
knot in the field? My vest usually has enough room to carry a needle and I
usually don't notice the extra weight.

Danl
....though most WOULD agree that I shouldn't be allowed to have any sharp
instruments.....