dead-sticking a jerkbait

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

Default dead-sticking a jerkbait

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:01:17 -0500, "alwaysfishking"
wrote:

Hey what can I say I'm fortunate enough to be able to fish daily, and when
you fish as much as I do, you try a lot of things

No offense intended - it's the nature of the disease.

I preach keep it simple, but I have four tackle boxes for fresh and
three for salt. :)

How fast can you tie a lure on, without gloves, in the middle of January,
outdoors?

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:34:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
wrote:

Hey what can I say I'm fortunate enough to be able to fish daily, and
when
you fish as much as I do, you try a lot of things

No offense intended - it's the nature of the disease.

I preach keep it simple, but I have four tackle boxes for fresh and
three for salt. :)

How fast can you tie a lure on, without gloves, in the middle of January,
outdoors?

Not very. I have arthritis remember?

Damn. I was giving you an opening to proclaim your greatness. I guess that
has to be spontaneous. :-)

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:51:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:34:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
wrote:

Hey what can I say I'm fortunate enough to be able to fish daily, and
when
you fish as much as I do, you try a lot of things

No offense intended - it's the nature of the disease.

I preach keep it simple, but I have four tackle boxes for fresh and
three for salt. :)

How fast can you tie a lure on, without gloves, in the middle of
January,
outdoors?

Not very. I have arthritis remember?

Damn. I was giving you an opening to proclaim your greatness. I guess that
has to be spontaneous. :-)

Greatness is in the soul. Of course, being a superior human being -
well, modesty forbids exactly detailing the subtle nuances of my
exceptional abilities. However, modesty is also a hallmark of
greatness so I'll just leave it there.

Time to get more coffee.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

"Shortwave Sportfishing" wrote in message No
offense intended - it's the nature of the disease.

I preach keep it simple, but I have four tackle boxes for fresh and
three for salt. :)

Hell. 98% of the time I just use plastics, this year will be real
interesting as most of the plastics I will be fishing, will be home made,
probably won't be able to dunk any worms until Ice out, which will probably
be mid April or so, hopefully sooner, doesn't stop me from bringing 400lbs
of tackle..... because you never know do ya?

--
www.wermieerniebaits.com
Making fish regret their decision on a daily basis

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

The funny thing is I always say "I'm just gonna bring a handful of plastics
and some hooks", but have yet to actually do it...because I know that's the
day they will want Poppers or spinnerbaits or something other than my
handful of plastic baits

--
www.wermieerniebaits.com
Making fish regret their decision on a daily basis
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:17 -0500, "alwaysfishking"
wrote:

"Shortwave Sportfishing" wrote in message No
offense intended - it's the nature of the disease.

I preach keep it simple, but I have four tackle boxes for fresh and
three for salt. :)

Hell. 98% of the time I just use plastics, this year will be real
interesting as most of the plastics I will be fishing, will be home made,
probably won't be able to dunk any worms until Ice out, which will
probably
be mid April or so, hopefully sooner, doesn't stop me from bringing 400lbs
of tackle..... because you never know do ya?

Exactly.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

Doug Kanter wrote:

How fast can you tie a lure on, without gloves, in the middle of January,
outdoors?

6 Secs, without, 10 with gloves, that's from the time I pick up the lure
until it swings free on the line, but I cheat :-)

PS
A worm hook takes 4 secs, a lure takes a little longer, cause I can't
snell a lure

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

Letting the bait just sit there is a great tactic in cold water but as
the water temps increase increse the action on the bait, and as allways
VARY your retreive till you get a strike & then duplicate that
retreive.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing,rec.boats

"fishtale" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was at the fishing show this past weekend. Buddy was giving a demo on
suspending hardbait. It was possible to get a good sideview of the lure
action in the tank. Three tips that I want to use: keep rod tip down,
vary retrieve, have some slack in line at point of jerking. It was
possible to see the injured minnow motion followed by a suspend moment.
Looked like the right recipe for a strike. IMHO a very effective lure
and a joy to use.

I have a good friend whom I consider one of the best Bass fishermen I have
ever met. I have been trying to get a hold of him for a couple of days.
This evening he finally returned my call. I asked him if he had ever heard
of this dead-stick Jerk bait fishing. He said, "James, I have been doing it
for 5 years now and it works." He told me that most all Pro Bass fishermen
do it. He told me that I needed to forget about this 2 minute suspending
thing though. He said this tactic is for cold water fishing when the water
is below 60 degrees. He said that when water is that cold a bass's
metabolism slows way down and they will not expend a lot of energy chasing
after a bait. He said to put the lure where the Bass can see it and then
have it go almost motionless for a few seconds. He said a suspending lure
will hold for about 5 seconds before it starts to slowly rise or sink and
that is all you need. He said this will drive a Bass crazy and it will go
after the Lure. He told me he would take me with him and show me how. So
maybe I didn't waste money on the Lures after all. James