Project casts line for military children

Old September 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Heartlander

Default Project casts line for military children

Project casts line for military children

Mike Clifford is looking for a few good men -- and women -- and anyone
else he can get to donate money to give fishing gear to the sons and
daughters of America's soldiers.

Clifford, Web master of heartlandoutdoorsman.com based in Monee near
Joliet, launched Rods for Kids last week. The goal is to raise $25,000
to put 3,000 rods, reels and tackle packages in the hands of the
children of people in the military.

Clifford, conservation director of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance,
said the idea came when he was reading a newspaper article that
highlighted problems faced by kids whose moms and/or dads are away
fighting the war in Iraq or working in support.

While one spouse is off serving in uniform, their children are
essentially living in single-parent families. The at-home parent must
do the work of two to keep the home together, an exhausting prospect
for sure. Fishing provides an outlet to relieve the stress and a way to
spend quality family time when it's needed most, he said.

Clifford, who organizes fishing derbies for kids near his home, sees an
added benefit. The program is bound to reach children who've never gone
fishing. Studies show the earlier you get a kid started in the sport
the more likely it is he or she will pursue it as a lifetime hobby.
That's important at a time when fishing license sales are flat or
declining in most states, he said.

"These kids are our future biologists, our future fisheries managers,
our future politicians. We're counting on them, and they're counting on
us," he said. "It's not a coincidence that when the budget for natural
resources are in the shape they are in, that fishing license sales are
level or down. It all starts with the kids."

Clifford approached Zebco with the idea. The company is providing the
fishing gear at a reduced price. Each child will receive a spinning
reel, 5-foot-6-inch medium action rod and a 76-piece multispecies
tackle package.

He hopes to attract donations from corporate sponsors, individuals and
clubs that focus on fishing and the outdoors.
Clubs may purchase as many units as they want through the program.

He expects wide support. Growing anti-war sentiment is focused on
decision-makers in Washington, D.C., not on the men and women in
uniform, said Clifford, who classifies himself as politically moderate.

"It seems to me people are supporting our soldiers. This has nothing to
do with politics," Clifford said. "This is about our natural resources
and about kids."

He'll work with the military to identify kids in military families or
host fishing derbies open to children with fathers or mothers in the
service.

To donate or become a Sponsor Group, visit
http://www.heartlandoutdoorsman.com