A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

Old October 8th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default A few big bass or a lot of small ones?(oops)

Tennessee?? You gotta be kidding... right? Oh yeah... you said "maybe". LOL

My largest Tennessee bass is 5.9, second largest is 4.11, and third is 3.7.
That's on public water, of course. But to answer your original question, I'd
take a bunch of 2 to 3 pounders anyday!

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"John Kerr" wrote in message
Now I'm probably in trouble for not mentioning Georgia, Alabama, the
Carolinas, Miss., La., Arizona, Texas, maybe Tennessee, and even
Kentucky....any more that boast the "big" fish g.

Old October 8th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Craig

Default A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

I too enjoyed Ronnie's answer, for it has put a smile on my face that I
can't seem to wipe off.

I personally expect to catch a hawg on very cast. I just know the mother of
all bass is sitting and waiting for my lure to enter the water so that she
can grab it and take me for a ride. So when my lure comes back 900+ times a
day without her, I become ecstatic when I bring in one of her offspring
(regardless of size).

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!

Old October 8th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Richard Liebert

I've actually had the wonderful pleasure of both experiences this year. One
day I had three 4lb LM by 10:00 am. On another day my son and I boated over
100. I'll take the three big fish anyday.

om...

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Calif Bill

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in
message ...

"John Kerr" wrote in message
Now I'm probably in trouble for not mentioning Georgia, Alabama, the
Carolinas, Miss., La., Arizona, Texas, maybe Tennessee, and even
Kentucky....any more that boast the "big" fish g.

One of my most fun days was in about late spring, 1993 at Lake Don Pedro in
No. Cal. 250 bass and 1 bluegill all the same size. Including the
bluegill. All about 10". One big bass was caught that day by another
fisherman, as far as I know. Just could not keep the little guys off the
crankbait. Downsized to a spinning outfit and 6# test line with Rebel
Crawdad. Have had decent days in the Sac Delta with up to 5# fish and maybe
a 20 fish day at Oroville. But for shear fun, that day at Oroville ranks as
2nd best day. 1st day was fishing the ocean at Fort Ross area. We caught a
bunch of Kelp Bass that were eating anchovies near the surface. Motor over
to a school that you could see the back fins breaking the surface. Flat
calm ocean, better than most lakes. The 3 of us on light bass gear and swim
baits caught maybe 300 fish from 3-5# in about 4 hours. So I guess quantity
with some size ranks highest, while quantity is good.
Bill

Old October 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Gary Wilber

I would go for the smaller fish. I say that because when I used to
fish tournaments, some days I would catch 13.5 inch fish all day and
complain because I had no fish in the livewell. At the end of the day
I would think that if it wasn't for the tournament, I was really
having alot of fun.
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:49 PM
alwayfishking

I would rather spend the whole day skunking then hit a big fish or two at
the end of the day,

Then again if I hit those big fish early on and then nothing all day,
somehow it wouldn't be as rewarding
om...

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:59 PM
John Lindsey

Wrong answers for your question for me. Between "a ton of 1-3 pounders" and
"just a couple of 10-15 pounders" is the optimum for big bass fly fishermen.
To me a "lot of 5 to 7 pounders" would be heaven on earth! Why, because
they are usually smarter than the ton of little bitty guys and fight more
that the couple of old mommas. Yep, 5 to 7 pounders.

Umm... the above notwithstanding, hmmm.... I'm thinking, give me a minute.
Let's see now, what would I trade for a 15 pounder? hmmm... eyes glaze
over Maybe I better rethink the above answer.

What a great question! You got me! LOL

Good luck,
John

"John Kerr" wrote in message
Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
lbs.)?
This is considering that the time on the water is the same to accompish
either one.

Old October 9th, 2003, 12:42 AM
John Kerr

I asked the question because I have always had a delima over this. I
dearly love to catch big fish, and have always been willing to devote
the time and effort to that cause....with the exception of bass! When I
catch a big bass it is more by accident than intent. I am just not
willing to pay the price to strictly fish for the trophy bass (time
price)! The 3-5 pounders suit me fine because they come on a regular
enough basis to keep me enthuised over the prospect! I figured out
that a top notch bass angler would have to devote at least a minimum of
10 hours of fishing for every bass they caught over 8 pounds (that's
considering they live in an area that produces those size fish).
That is two good days of fishing for "one" fish! And that's for a top
notch basser...add the time on the water necessary to learn the
techniques, and that time multiplies probably threefold!
I got the figures from my son and Mike Long's experiences chasing the
big bass in California.
I didn't know how many big bass they had caught over the years, but they
are both on the "pro" staff of Graphite U.S.A. , and there was a profile
on them at Hastings rod manufacturing.
John has caught 261 bass over 8 lbs., 97 over 10 lbs., 19 over 12 lbs.
and his big fish is 16-8, big 5 fish limit is 48.1 lbs. I figured he
spends 80% of his time fishing "tournament" fish, and 20% of the time
fishing trophy bass. Over the past ten years, he has probably spent
almost 2000 hours on the water fishing trophy bass....thats over 10
hours per fish...plus the "learning" time of maybe twice that time the
previous 5 years...so maybe 30 hours per fish!
I think I will just keep fishin for the great "little" guys, and be
happy, happy when I "accidently" catch the big guy grin!
JK

Old October 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
John Lindsey

My comments are below @@@

@@@ ? why except bass?

@@@ Most bass fly fishermen are happy with ANY bass we catch - LOL.

The 3-5 pounders suit me fine because they come on a regular
enough basis to keep me enthuised over the prospect!

@@@ Most bass fly fishermen complain that 3-5 pounders NEVER come regular
enough - LOL.

I figured out
that a top notch bass angler would have to devote at least a minimum of
10 hours of fishing for every bass they caught over 8 pounds (that's
considering they live in an area that produces those size fish).
That is two good days of fishing for "one" fish! And that's for a top
notch basser...add the time on the water necessary to learn the
techniques, and that time multiplies probably threefold!
I got the figures from my son and Mike Long's experiences chasing the
big bass in California.

@@@ Bass fly fishermen rarely participate in organized fishing activities
so there are little statistics regarding "hours per fish"
In Texas' ShareLunker program of 372 donated 13 pound plus bass only one was
fly rod caught and many were bait caught.

I didn't know how many big bass they had caught over the years, but they
are both on the "pro" staff of Graphite U.S.A. , and there was a profile
on them at Hastings rod manufacturing.
John has caught 261 bass over 8 lbs., 97 over 10 lbs., 19 over 12 lbs.
and his big fish is 16-8, big 5 fish limit is 48.1 lbs. I figured he
spends 80% of his time fishing "tournament" fish, and 20% of the time
fishing trophy bass. Over the past ten years, he has probably spent
almost 2000 hours on the water fishing trophy bass....thats over 10
hours per fish...plus the "learning" time of maybe twice that time the
previous 5 years...so maybe 30 hours per fish!

@@@ His numbers may not apply to other states and water bodies that only
contain Northern strain. Other people in other places may not be able to
duplicate his success in "hours per fish". Additionally I'm starting to
read scattered reports about smaller catches (size and quantity) in some
water bodies. Hope this is not a trend - Ugh.

I think I will just keep fishin for the great "little" guys, and be
happy, happy when I "accidently" catch the big guy grin!

@@@ Go ahead and fish for the little guys - I won't. Decades ago I came to
grips with the fact that I won't catch a lot of bass the way I fish. I
don't fish underwater, it's just so much more fun catching bass on top water
for me. So what I've focused on is developing fly rod popping bugs that
attract the bigger bass. See it's really fun catching the bigger, smarter
bass using your own designed bug that they have never seen before. For
example I've developed a tarantula popping bug to bounce off logs and rocks.
As you can imagine with all that bouncing, the finish quickly deteriorates,
so I'm testing a new softer, stronger finish which is a lot of fun testing
on big bass. Fly tying adds a quantum leap to bass fishng enjoyment for me.

JK

@@@ You use "hours per fish" as a measure of success. For me I'm more
interested in "strikes per cast" and "catches per strike." Over the decades
I've developed some techniques to improve both stats. For example one way
to improve "Catches per Strike" is to sharpen the hook, another is to
eliminate little bass, bluegill, bream and perch. How - use BIG popping
bugs. They chase off little stuff -LOL

Good luck!
John

Old October 10th, 2003, 01:43 AM
John Kerr

Default A few big bass or a lot of small ones?(John)

I certainly respect a fly fisherman....tried some up in Washington, and
almost got "hooked" on it (no pun intended) grin.
It is a whole different ballgame, and I agree with most all you attested
to. The skill level in fly fishing is not so much how many you catch,
but rather the ability to land the bigger fish with the tackle in use. I
have watched them fly fishing for snook, and tarpon, and was amazed that
they could land those fish with that tackle. I use to fish for sharks in
the gulf using light tackle, and it was all about "landing" that 1 big
one (150 lb +) with 20 lb test and a light rod. But when it comes to
bass fishing, I just can't seem to devote the time necessary to only go
for the trophy bass....it's just too much fun to catch the "average"
bass, and that happens so much more often! But I respect your point of
view!
JK