My anti clave plans

Old October 6th, 2004, 04:28 AM
asadi....

Default My anti clave plans

Offhand, I'll be leaving sometime on Monday the 11th and staying through the
17th, leaving on the 18th. The 17th I'll probably take a short jaunt down to
Jasper, Georgia to see an old friend.

I'll e-mail Wolfgang and see what is shaking with him....He'll have to pass
within one half mile of my house to get to North Carolina.

At present I'll just be camping in my van....I can make it pretty cozy. I
am postponing any plans on bringing my trailer. Should anyone want to stay
in my trailer, well, they should contact me. It offers big beds, stove,
oven, furnace, AC and room to relax and TV if desired and all of that good
stuff, but comes with a price tag.

You see, I'm on a budget now. Oh yeah, budget big time. Three wives have
made and blown their fortunes (NO NOT ME) on what I have given them but this
time I know, I just know, I am about to win the jackpot....!

Anyhow, the extra gas will cost me $100 to tow that rascal so if anyone
wants to stay in it, well, you do the math. If you are looking for a place
to crash, it ain't worth it. But, if you plan to cook nice meals, have a
glass of wine, shave and look presentable, well, it beats a motel or cabin
to hell and back.You say it and I'll bring it.

Now, if I can just get Uncle Wally to bring me two dozen caddis flies, size
14 and 16 and 20 in all shades of dark brown and gray, I'll be set.

john

Old October 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Jeff Miller

i'm sending you some cell phone numbers. call when you get into graham
county. so far, it looks like only bob patton and i will be fishing
sunday the 10th...we're planning a test-run over to Hazel. depending on
the timing of y'all's arrival, we can work out details of fishing for
the 11th and 12th. i think wolfgang and becky are arriving on the 11th.
do you have any preferences of places to fish? some spots require a
boat ride, others a bit of a hike. the nanty is delayed harvest,
roadside sport. i can't remember whether you've been in the area
before. i plan on shuttling the crowd over to hazel at least one day,
but with the boat we can do streams on the north shore of fontana lake
as often as anyone wants.

any of the group camping are welcome to use our place on snowbird for
showers, etc. there is a washer/dryer also.

i'm planning on stopping at wally's on saturday. if he's open, i can
pick up and deliver stuff you've ordered from him.

jeff

Old October 7th, 2004, 02:12 AM
asadi....

Jeff, However it can be arranged I would like to fish Hazel...never having
been there. I am going to have to leave on Sunday the 17th....some kind of
stuff came up that I can't postpone...

You know....I'm not really sure where I am going....robbinsville I can find.

john

Old October 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Tim J.

asadi.... wrote:
You know....I'm not really sure where I am going....robbinsville I
can find.

THAT would be a great title for a country song.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Jeff Miller

we'll visit hazel as often as anyone desires during the week. lots of
stream to fish over there, and it's as pretty a spot as you're likely to
find on the planet, imo.

i'd like to do the 5 mile hike up snowbird for the brookies near middle
falls too... i assume wolfgang and bob will go too. it's an easy walk
with several stream crossings (as long as water isn't raging the
crossings are easy)

jeff

Old October 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Jeff Miller

oh yeah... if i have some idea of when you'll arrive, the ingles grocery
store parking lot by the stoplight at the intersection of hwy 143 and
hwy 129 is the best meeting spot. it's impossible to give directions to
my place, but... if you can find your way to the big snowbird creek
backcountry turnoff, you're close to the place i'll be. about 1/2 mile
before the turnoff is a bridge on the left crossing the stream (yeah,
you'll have to find the backcountry turn first, then turn around and
come back to the bridge - which will be on the right side theng).
cross the bridge, take the left turn just across the bridge, staying on
the one lane paved road. follow it to the end. next to last house is
where we are. single story gray color house with circular driveway. the
last place is a 2-story cabin. mike and joyce miller manage the place
and live in the house up the hill.

if we miss you on the 11th, we'll plan on meeting at the ingles parking
lot at 7 am on the 12th. wolfgang should be around. bob and i will have
figured out the launch/ride/anchor hazel details, and we'll plan a trip
across fontana that morning...

of course...the not knowing where one is going...well, that kinda sums
up the anticlave. g

jeff

Old October 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Bob Patton

oh yeah... if i have some idea of when you'll arrive, the ingles grocery
store parking lot by the stoplight at the intersection of hwy 143 and hwy
129 is the best meeting spot. it's impossible to give directions to

//snip//

I found a picture of some fellow I met beside a stream somewhere who was
inordinately proud of some pipsqueak fish, plus a map that seems to show
both the Ingles store (blue x), the end of the road at Snowbird (green
circle) and Jeff's cabin (green x).

http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/test.htm

Bob

Old October 8th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Bob Patton

we'll visit hazel as often as anyone desires during the week. lots of
stream to fish over there, and it's as pretty a spot as you're likely to
find on the planet, imo.

i'd like to do the 5 mile hike up snowbird for the brookies near middle
falls too... i assume wolfgang and bob will go too. it's an easy walk with
several stream crossings (as long as water isn't raging the crossings are
easy)

jeff

I'm up for the walk up Snowbird. One question is whether it's better to walk
up from the road, or down from Hooper's Bald. I've said it befo I'll
bring the powerbars if Wolfie will bring the olives.

It's gonna be a great week.
Bob

Old October 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Jeff Miller

down from hooper is a bit confusing as the trail isn't marked well (or
wasn't when i did it with fortenberry), and the walk back up... well,
it's definitely a hike you'll remember. 5200 feet down to 3600. i'd
rather walk the trail from the junction at a comfortable pace for 5
miles than fall down and struggle back up the side of a mountain on a 4
mile roundtrip... but, if you boys want to try it, i'm game. i have
been told there is a better way in ... but the walk from the junction,
like the walk up the hazel trail, is something i enjoy.

jeff