Fish Finders or depth finders???

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:21 PM
E. Carl Speros

Default Fish Finders or depth finders???

I've fished with many boat owning fishermen & have yet to see one use
the FISH FINDING feature of their equipment. I realise that the depth &
proximity to stick ups & weed beds etc. are important, but why do they
ignore sure signs of big or many bass (I notice you can tell bass from
most species by their humpbacked appearance.) Do any of you actually
use the fish finding feature to seek & find fish? I'm not being
facetious & I've always been curious about this. Carl Cheers. Good
fishing & better catching

Old May 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Rich P

The problem with the "fish finding" features on some of the sonar units
out there is accuracy. At least this is my experience, but they always tell
you that there are fish even when there aren't. I fish in some really clear
water and my sonar (whichever one of the half dozen I've owned) and I can
see there aren't any fish under me but the sonar is telling me there are.
I think they seem to be best for locating structure and features of the
bottom that put you it fish likely spots. Sometime really big fish or balls
of bait are detectable, but if you think there's a bass under every one of
those symbols on your fish finder, you're in for a frustrating time catching
them, in my opinion.

Rich P

Old May 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM
IBNFSHN

"E. Carl Speros" wrote in message
I've fished with many boat owning fishermen & have yet to see one use
the FISH FINDING feature of their equipment. I realise that the depth &
proximity to stick ups & weed beds etc. are important, but why do they
ignore sure signs of big or many bass (I notice you can tell bass from
most species by their humpbacked appearance.) Do any of you actually
use the fish finding feature to seek & find fish? I'm not being
facetious & I've always been curious about this. Carl Cheers. Good
fishing & better catching

There is no way a fish finder can tell you what type of fish is down there.
With the fish symbols turned on, anything down there that will reflect
the signal will appear as a fish. Whether it be a real fish, submerged log
or beer can. Turn it off and save youself some fustrations.

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Pat Goff

**Tapping Microphone**
This is bass fishing, right? Ok.
In 30 years of competitive fishing, I know three (3) guys who can show me a
BASS on a sonar, and then catch is with any reqularity. Not many.

What they see is not what you think you're seeing, and what you think you're
seeing isn't what it is at all. Got it?

Use your "fish finder" to find the house, then catch what's living in it.

newsSqhe.16626$aB.5679@lakeread03...

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Bill McKee

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
[...]

As my friend said, if those symbols were tractors, would there be lots of
tractors down there? I fish the Sacramento Delta and lots of carp live in
this river system. They show up well on the FF. So for bass, I just use it
to find the structure. I also fish sturgeon, and do use the fish finding
ability to see sturgys. But that is not a symbol, but a large lump in a
flat bottom or a log looking thing boing underneath the boat. For ocean
salmon, we use it to find the bait fish. Salmon in the ocean rarely show up
on a sounder / FF. Just not much swim bladder.
Bill