Graphite ferrule repair question

Old March 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Danl[_3_]

Default Graphite ferrule repair question

On a recent trip, I broke my favorite 2 piece, 9' 4wt, graphite rod. At
first, on the stream, I thought the rod had broken such that the entire
butt section ferrule area was left inside the tip section ferrule area.
Bummer. I switched to another rod for the remainder of the trip.

At home, under closer inspection, I notice that the butt section only broke
off a very small percentage of the ferrule area leaving plenty of ferrule (I
think) to continue using the rod. However, as graphite usually does, the
ferrule looks really nasty where it broke, i.e. the broken edge is very
ragged. I think I should do something about this ratty, broken edge, lest
the graphite will continue to "splinter" from this broken edge under regular
use. Filing the edge might seem to be indicated, but "more harm than good"
may very well ensue along that course. Perhaps applying some sort of bonding
agent/sealer/goo INSIDE the ferrule would help reinforce the broken edge.
Perhaps inserting some kind of "plug" in the ferrule for support (insert
your favorite "insert the plug" joke here ______________________________)?

Anyone have any ideas/experience with this kind of breakage?

Danl

Old March 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:35:31 -0700, "Danl" danlfinn@*remove
this*intergate.com wrote:

[...]

If it has a warranty, use it, if it doesn't, see if you can pay the
manufacturer to fix/replace the damaged section. If neither is an
option, about the only things to do are a) take a chance with it as-is -
graphite is sorta like window glass - once broken, it's all but
impossible to "fix" with handtools, or, b) attempt, as a last-ditch
effort, to use a high-speed cutoff wheel to trim up past any nicks,
splits, or other damage of _any_ kind - use as strong a magnification as
you can find, including a microscope to make sure, or, c) permanently
attach the sections and live with it being much more difficult to
transport. My guess is, without seeing the damage, that it won't be
long until the rod blows up in your face unless you have a replacement
from the manufacturer.. Damaged graphite rods don't do too well
overall. Sorry and I really do hope I'm wrong, but...

TC,
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

transport. My guess is, without seeing the damage, that it won't be
long until the rod blows up in your face unless you have a replacement
from the manufacturer.. Damaged graphite rods don't do too well
overall.

that echos my experience ...

if the mfg WILL repair it at a REASONable cost, I'd have it fixed,

but

I have a 'favorite' rod I've paid to have fixed twice ( over nearly 30
years ) by Scott. However, next time it breaks, it's gone ... 'favorite'
old rods sometimes don't stand up to a real world comparison to new ones
and the repair cost is actually better applied to a new 'favorite' I'd
test a few new replacements before I stretched the actual numbers involved
in "reasonable cost" too far

Old March 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 24, 7:35 pm, "Danl" danlfinn@*remove this*intergate.com
wrote:

Anyone have any ideas/experience with this kind of breakage?

Danl

Usually caused by a ferrule working loose, and extremely difficult/
impossible to repair unless you are very very lucky indeed.
Invariably, the only really sensible option is a new blank section.
There are too many possible problems with "simple" repairs, ( if these
are even possible). Also inpossible to say what might work without
looking at it. A good rod builder might be able to help you, but
usually itīs not worth even trying,

TL
MC
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Willi

Danl wrote:
[...]

I had this happen and made a satisfactory repair that lasted several
seasons. Like Mike said, mine broke because I hadn't seated the rod in
the ferrule. It was the five weight I took to Alaska. You saw me land a
number of Silvers on it after being repaired. I finally broke it (in a
different place) beaching a Silver. I since got a new section.

What I did was to first "clean up" the ragged break by cutting the rod
just below the break with a fine exacto saw blade. Then fine sand paper
the end. Next I carved out a rubber insert slightly smaller than the
opening in the ferrule (I think I used an eraser but I can't remember).
I then mixed up some high strength epoxy (not five minute) put some
inside the rod.I then coated the rubber insert with epoxy and inserted
it. Wiped off ALL the excess epoxy using a solvent and let it dry. As
long as the rod is sound after cutting off the ragged end and the break
was small enough that there is still enough rod to slip into the ferrule
you should be fine.

Willi

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 24, 10:55 pm, Willi wrote:

I had this happen and made a satisfactory repair that lasted several
seasons. Like Mike said, mine broke because I hadn't seated the rod in
the ferrule.

Just a couple of points there which might save somebody else the
unfortunate experience.

Paraffin wax, ( clear white candle wax) on the ferrules will alow them
to seat better. They should be cleaned off regularly with alcohol and
re-waxed.

If you feel your rod "clicking", or "feeling unsual", then check your
ferrules immediately, as otherwise a break is likely imminent. In a
lot of cases the tip or top sections will fly off. After such an
occurrence, check the ferrules carefully for any signs of ferrule
splaying, and if it has any, donīt use it till it is repaired.

All rods should be checked regularly in use, to make sure that the
ferrules remain seated, multi piece rods even more regularly. Loose
ferrules probably cause more breaks than any other cause.

TL
MC
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Guy wrote:

Have not used paraffin for loose fitting ferrules but do know that beeswax
works well. I always carry a pinch in my vest wrapped in plastic wrap.

I take it that you're not of the "less is more" philosophy about packing
a vest. :-)

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 25, 6:59 pm, "Guy" guytee2 at comcast dot net wrote:

Have not used paraffin for loose fitting ferrules but do know that beeswax
works well. I always carry a pinch in my vest wrapped in plastic wrap.

I believe pure beeswax is actually slightly better, but I have no
positive quantifiable reason for thinking so, just an "impression".
Seems to "stick" better, but the white candle wax works pretty well
too. I donīt know anybody who has suffered such a break when using it.
The ferrules are also relatively easy to separate after use if one
uses wax on them. May seem contradictory, but works very well in
practice.

Have seen quite a few ferrule breaks though, and the damage is typical
for loose ferrules. Often causes the blank to splinter, "crack", or
delaminate, quite a way down the rod, which makes a "simple" repair
useless. I have tried it a few times, on the strict understanding that
it was at the ownerīs risk, but mostly the blank then collapses
somewhere else when under stress. As soon as even a very small area
of the composite is compromised, then the whole section is at risk.
Even very slight practically "invisible" damage will cause blank
failure under load, usually when casting. High modulus fibre blanks
are at considerably greater risk than low modulus fibre blanks.

In point of fact, I donīt know of any way to repair a blank that has
such damage. I have tried "sleeving" a couple, but it looks awful,
adds weight, can affect the action very adversely, also increasing the
risk of further damage, and is unreliable at best.

Modern carbon fibre rods are not easy to repair, and very often not
worth the trouble anyway.