Beginner Lake Trout Questions

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Beginner Lake Trout Questions

Fishing Derby tomorrow.
They dumped a truckload of hatchery trout into our local 1/4 - 1/2 acre pond
a few days ago.
Got a pole. A reel. Some line. Some green glittery floating smelly
PowerBait.
Put a small sliding egg sinker above a barrel swivel. Attached a couple of
feet of invisible leader with a single #12 hook.
I plan on having my son fish off the bottom.
Sound like a good rig and a good plan?

Next question. I have a ski boat. I don't know how fast I'm going when I'm
at a no wake speed. How fast is too fast for trolling?

Next question: What's the best way to rig a KastMaster for surface trolling?
Line to KastMaster? Line to barrel swivel to KastMaster? Line to snap to
KastMaster?

Next question: If the surface temp is too warm for trout, how do I get the
lure to run at a desired depth?

Like I said: beginner knowledge base and experience.

Old May 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

1/8 Rooster Tail Spinners or 3/16 oz DareDevil Spoon. Black and White
or Red and White usually clean up. The larger the fish the longer
they'll need to acclimatize. These fish strike because they are hungry.
It will take a week or two for territory to matter.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

[...]

You may also give a bobber and worm, or bobber and sinking power bait a
try. I believe it is Berkly that makes a hatchery formula that looks
like the food they are used to seeing. Once they calm down they will
start finding the bottom and then go to the floating stuff off the
bottom.

Cliff

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town

Our Yahoo group can be found here!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Cliff" wrote in message
. 97.136...
[...]

I noticed powerbait floating all over the lake today. To me, and my
guessing, I think it means they aren't top feeding or they would have
snagged all that free powerbait. What do you think?

It's supposed to be a 14 foot deep lake. Can't decide if this is deep
enough for bobber vs bottom fishing. Makes me want to get a sticker for a
second pole. One for bobber or bottom fishing, sit and wait. And one for
casting lures, something to do while waiting.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

I and my 12-year old son are total newbies as well, and we got our
first ever (and only ) trout this weekend with yellow/green powerbait
with sliding egg sinker and very small treble hook (#18). Of couse
with only one fish for 2 of us, there is not much "statistics" to go
around, but we would get a byte here and there with both bottom and
bopper lines (although they all "escaped" us). But we did not get any
more bytes when we started seeing a few of the untouched powerbait
floating around...This could also be the time of the day as well, as
this is the point when the sun got higher...

I also tried using the spinners (Mepps/RoosterTail/Panther Martin) as
well, but found it's not that easy for me: The spinners I got are very
small (1/24 and 1/16), and with my 6 lb line, I could not "cast" them
to any decent distant at all. My pond is very shallow and clear so I
don't think the trout would go that close to where we stood...Not mean
to hijack or thread, but perhaps someone here can give us some advice
on how to use the lure/spinners for trout. I don't think I can catch
anything here with a large /heavy spinner (the hooks on those look
sorta big...), but the small ones are so light!...Would they still work
if I attach some small sinker to it to make it heavier? Or would we be
better off using the larger/heavier ones? How big of a spinner I can
use for 1-1.5 lb trout?? (I'm not going after the "monster", but just
the typical stocked size trouts)

Cheers,

Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Congratulations!

Try reposting the lure questions under a new topic; maybe try as Beginner
Trout Lure Questions. I'd like to see discussion on this topic, too.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

oups.com...

Check out www.anglernet.net for local to the NorCal trouting questions.