Montauk sportfishing report 4/11/04

Old April 12th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk sportfishing report 4/11/04

4/11/04

OK, Boys and Girls, I'm back, alive and kicking - or at least alive. For a
while though I was getting a little concerned. Two weeks after getting back
in Montauk after a trip to Guatemala and Belize I came down with what I
thought was malaria. Finally this past Friday after spending the day in the
hospital I got some of that good news bad news stuff. And I still haven't
figured out which part was good and which was bad. I don't have malaria. I
have dengue, which is somewhat similar. But, malaria is easily treated, and
for dengue, at least here in the states, the treatment is - "Hang in there".
If I was still in Guatemala or Belize, I could get a couple of injections
and be cured. I don't know if they don't know about the drug, which is
called cloroquin or something like that, or it isn't approved for use here,
but in either case, I'm pretty PO'd about it. Luckily this morning was the
first day that I woke up without a fever and head ache, so maybe I'm over
the hump.

Now for the latest harbor info. Every year there are changes, and this year
is no exception. Capt Fritz Hubner is no longer running the MISTRESS TOO. he
's getting a little long in the tooth and his back has been bothering him
for a while now, so much so that he was canceling trips due to weather that
he probably didn't have to. The bottom line is that he sold the boat to Bart
Ricci, who mated for him last year. the whole thing was set up in 2002, but
Bart wanted to get to know the customers a little before taking over. It
should work out well. Bart has been out here just about all his life doing
all kinds of fishing stuff.

The BLUEMOON is gone, sold, out of town. Capt Mark Dombrowski bought the
THREE STAR in mid 2002, changed it's name and sailed it for a year and a
half before selling it to somebody up east. Kind of a short tenure, but I
here he got a good price, and maybe that had a lot to do with it.

The RASCAL & DAWN are for sale. Capt Bob Tuma has run a DAWN since they
first found out that wood floats. He sold it to Capt Bob Bozek a couple of
years back, but stayed on to run it. Then Bozek bought the old SURFMASTER,
renamed it DAWN, and Bobby Dawn kept running it. We'll have to see what
develops, but it won't be the same with out Bobby Dawn on the water.

I always consider the fishing season here to be officially open when the
LAZYBONES starts sailing, and that happened this weekend. I didn't get down
to see what was caught because I felt like crap, but I understand that they
brought back some flounder from the lake.

Actually though the cod fishing has been pretty damn good since ice-out,
probably the best in a number of years. Only a few boats were doing it from
the beginning which kept it simple. Now the CAPT MARK, SEA OTTER, VIVIENNE,
KAREN SUE, LORI JAY, VIKING, BLUEFIN, SEA WIFE and I guess a couple of
others are also fishing, so it's getting a little crowded. It's not a
guarantee, and if one boat does real well one day, he better leave earlier
the next morning or he's likely to find his spot occupied, and the worst
thing you can do is try to fish next to someone who has the whole pod
underneath his boat. Watching guys giggling, and shouting and catching fish
is no fun.

I won't be putting out weekly reports yet, but when there is any important
news, I'll get something out. By sometime in May I'll start posting
regularly.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly

Montauk Sportfishing

--