Dry and dropper question

Old May 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jarmo Hurri[_2_]

Default Dry and dropper question

Hello gentlemen.

I have been absent from this group for a while because of real-life
issues (too much work). Fortunately the summer holiday is approaching
- hence a fly-fishing related question came to my mind.

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-05-01, Jarmo Hurri wrote:

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

I haven't tried it yet, being so new to FF, but I was thinking multiple
length droppers with a uni knot to the dry hook bend. It would be a pretty
quick way to change droppers. Maybe loop-to-loop for dropper loops. Just
spitballin'.

nb
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On May 1, 1:20 pm, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
Hello gentlemen.

I have been absent from this group for a while because of real-life
issues (too much work). Fortunately the summer holiday is approaching
- hence a fly-fishing related question came to my mind.

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Tie your dropper on, and mount your dry fly using a loop. Just form a
loop in the line, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and
over the fly. Pull slowly tight.

If you want to adjust the depth, just loosen the loop and slide the
dry fly along the leader.

This wont work with very small dries, but those would be pointless on
a dry and dropper rig anyway.

TL
MC
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Of course, the drop fly is tied to the end of your leader.

TL
MC
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

It will also work using a leader ring and the same loop, if you want a
"stand-off" dry fly, and this will also allow you to use even knotted
leaders if they pass through the ring. Otherwise the adjustment is of
course limited to the distance between knots.

TL
MC
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Of course you can remove or change the dry fly at any time, simply by
passing it back through the loop.

TL
MC
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Is a bit difficult to explain clearly, so here´s a sketch;

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4143/slidedryzd1.jpg

TL
MC
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Mike wrote:
Is a bit difficult to explain clearly, so here´s a sketch;

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4143/slidedryzd1.jpg

TL
MC

That's a pretty sweet solution, Mike.

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

In article
,
Mike wrote:

Tie your dropper on, and mount your dry fly using a loop. Just form a
loop in the line, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and
over the fly. Pull slowly tight.

If you want to adjust the depth, just loosen the loop and slide the
dry fly along the leader.

This wont work with very small dries, but those would be pointless on
a dry and dropper rig anyway.

Wow! That is such an elegant solution. And I've never heard of it
anywhere before.

Congratulations and tight lines

Lazarus
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Mike wrote:
Of course, the drop fly is tied to the end of your leader.

TL
MC

ah...that's the part i didn't get. sounds workable, except won't the dry
fly slip during parts of the casting motion?

....i also like the idea of a short permanently attached leader to the
bend of the dry fly hook with a loop at the end for loop to loop
attachment of varying lengths of pre-rigged dropper leaders with flies.
i saw something - i think in an orvis circular - about a new (to me)
nymphing leader system that has a series of loops down its length
imparting a more natural action to the nymph as it moves with the current.

jeff