Interesting Study of Bass movements

Old March 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Interesting Study of Bass movements

On Feb 28, 7:46*pm, (John B) wrote:
Some of the posts got me to wondering....there are three unconnected
lakes here, and I have been putting some of the bigger bass I catch from
the back lake, into the lake in front of my cabin. I have never seen a
dead bass in any of the lakes, so I figured they were adjusting to a
different home.

Do you guys think there is any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

John B

Any lake can support a certain number of pounds per acre of bass. Most
lakes are pretty much stable. If you move bigger bass, something has
to give. It might be a 10 pound bass replaces ten one pound bass -
fine until that 10 pounder dies and there is not one growing to
replace it.

Moving a few big bass may not make much difference in a fairly large
body of water. And you can increase the number of pounds per acre by
raising the fertility of the lake.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Any lake can support a certain number of pounds per acre of bass. Most
lakes are pretty much stable. If you move bigger bass, something has to
give. It might be a 10 pound bass replaces ten one pound bass - fine
until that 10 pounder dies and there is not one growing to replace it.
Moving a few big bass may not make much difference in a fairly large
body of water. And you can increase the number of pounds per acre by
raising the fertility of the lake.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

=======

Thanks Ronnie, I will probably stop doing it...for the reasons you and
Dan gave. Actually there are more bass in all three lakes than there
probably should be. I catch tons of 1-2 lb. bass, and the occasional 4-6
lb. ones. The biggest bass caught since I've been here was just over 8
lbs., and a few people have told me some 10 lb. ones have been caught in
the small back lake.

Thanks for all the input guys!

P.S., it was almost 60 degrees and sunny today, and I caught 6 bass this
morning...getting ready to try the late afternoon bite right now!

John B

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:55:12 -0600, (John B) wrote:

[...]

John, shut up with the temp talk. g

http://tinyurl.com/29eq5f

Dan
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Mar 1, 4:55*pm, (John B) wrote:
[...]

You might get the state DNR to check your lake and give you some
advice on management. That is a free service here in Georgia and they
can offer ideas.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

John, shut up with the temp talk. * g

http://tinyurl.com/29eq5f

Dan

========

After reading that 10 day forecast...I put my jacket on!

We had some cold weather last week, but I have the best of all
worlds...the lake in front of my cabin is just 15 feet from my front
door, I can run in and get warm, and go back out again.

But cheer up...springs is just 21 days away! grin

John

Old March 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

You might get the state DNR to check your lake and give you some advice
on management. That is a free service here in Georgia and they can offer
ideas.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

=======

Ronnie, They did that a few years back, and all three lakes got a
"Thumbs up", on species balance, and quality of the lakes in
general....with the exception of turtles, we have a few too many of
those critters!

Crappie fishing is great, and the kids catch all the blue gill they can
handle. There have been some 15+ cats taken out of the lakes, and as far
as I'm concerned, the bass fishing is almost as much fun as "sex" (just
kiddin')!

I love it...just didn't want to mess anything up with my "transplanting"
thing.

Thanks for all the information!

John

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

Doug,

Interesting indeed. Here's a personal observation shared by a lot of
guys in this area. We used to fish a not so pretty place called the Calumet
River which flows out of Lake Mich. Many years ago we caught limits and
double limits of 3, 4 & 5 lb. fish. Some feel and I tend to agree, that
after the Bass Masters Classic held here (and prob one of the worst in
history) that the fish never really returned to the river. Many were
released into lake Mich and subsequent tourneys did much of the same. I
dont' know if there's any truth to it all, but it seemed the pressure got up
after that and the release site for several tourney's even went across the
border into Ind. The fishing in the river was never the same after that big
event and it's subsequent spotlight on the river. Just a thought.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old March 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:35:26 -0500, "Joshuall"
wrote:

Doug,

Interesting indeed. Here's a personal observation shared by a lot of
guys in this area. We used to fish a not so pretty place called the Calumet
River which flows out of Lake Mich. Many years ago we caught limits and
double limits of 3, 4 & 5 lb. fish. Some feel and I tend to agree, that
after the Bass Masters Classic held here (and prob one of the worst in
history) that the fish never really returned to the river. Many were
released into lake Mich and subsequent tourneys did much of the same. I
dont' know if there's any truth to it all, but it seemed the pressure got up
after that and the release site for several tourney's even went across the
border into Ind. The fishing in the river was never the same after that big
event and it's subsequent spotlight on the river. Just a thought.

Ever give any thought to the fact that all the publicity brought out
many more people fishing for Bass including people that eat them?

Dan
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

I've actually dove into this subject with other DNR's of various states, and
the conclusion seems to be the same in case studies. Some are inconclusive
while others show no doubt to the result. While it seems that some(Bass)
inevitably return, a lot don't, and the ones that don't can in fact affect
the watershed.
It seems that a large single system has much better results with Bass
returning than a water system with channels and connected lakes, but even
then, some still do not return, but stay in the area of their release.

Most DNR's it seems agree that there's not enough evidence yet to conclude
to what degree it effects any one body of water, hence no laws to govern
this formally yet.

Josh, I am familiar with the Calumet River, and the little, and I've fished
that often for a few years, but now it's been a few years since I've been
there. Good Steelhead and salmon run there! Or it used to be anyway. It's
funny that I've never fished for Bass there, it just never really struck me
as a good Bass hole! Now that's interesting!

No matter what the cause of the decline of fishing anywhere, it's a bad
thing all the way around when a local hole gets ate up. But it would be
good knowledge to know whether it was the fishing pressure, as Dan
suggested, or the catch and release that were the culprit for the decline.
Either way, it has been negatively impacted by the tournament, it seems.

I'm not downing the tournament fishermen, (hell, I fish a local here and
there) but maybe some rethinking can be done to minimize the impact that it
might have on a particular watershed.

Personally, I would like to think I could take my kids to some of the same
fishing holes I've enjoyed over the years, and know there's still some nice
ones in there to catch. In a single large body of water, it's not as much
of an issue, but in connected body's, it COULD be.

Kindest regards,
And as always, Tight Lines,

Doug

57 Degree's and rising today! Not much ice left! yippee!!