Kentucky or Tennessee?

Old July 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default Kentucky or Tennessee?

Kentucky or Tennessee?

======

Steve, I lived in Tn for several years before moving to Ky. The fishing
is compliable in both states...I don't hunt. Kentucky does have a state
income tax, but they don't tax retirement or social security. I just
bought a home here in Calvert City, a foreclosure. Nice home with a
pool, on almost an acre....$69,900. The property taxes are about $550 a
year. Jobs are scarce, unless you are in the medical field, or have a
speciality that is in demand in the area.

Western Kentucky or middle Tennessee would be my choice....mild climate
in the winter for the most part, but a bit humid in the summer
months....spring and fall are wonderful!

The cost of living is probably a bit cheaper in Kentucky....housing,
utilities, services, and entertainment. Tennessee probably has more to
offer in the way of culture, and bigger city conveniences.

For me, it is a coin flip. The job thing is probably what should be your
primary priority I would think.

Good luck.

P.S., if you need any detailed info later, let me know via e-mail.

John B

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jerry Barton

You know, Missouri and Arkansas have some nice fishing and hunting also.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message
Hey all,

My darling bride has decided that she has "maybe" one Wisconsin winter
left in her and wants to move south. She has decided that we "need" to
move to Kentucky or Tennessee. Many of you know me and know I need
fishing and hunting opportunities or I'll go crazy, or at least crazier
than I am now. Janet wants four distinct seasons, preferably without
months of cold weather and snow like we have now. I on the other hand
really don't want to leave northern Wisconsin, finding I can deal better
with the snow and cold versus high heat and humidity. So while I like the
idea of not snowblowing the driveway, I'm less than thrilled with the
thought of leaving my home state.

However, with that being said, we've begun to investigate the two states.
I've done a little looking online in the Eddyville Kentucky area as I've
been there before.

I know that Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax, and it has
"TennCare" a state sponsored health care program. Does anyone know if
Kentucky has similar bonus points like the aforementioned?

Basically what I need to know is the pro's and con's of living in each
state. Taxes, property values, health care, cost of living, climate,
fishing/hunting opportunities, job opportunities (the wife will still have
to have a job), etc. are all things I need opinions on, as well as any
potential locations.

Anyone have any thoughts?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

I'm just gonna say it. We've been going to both states for years fishing and
doing the resort thing. We love Tenn. hands down. One of the main reasons. .
.. the people there just seem to be friendlier to us yanks. We love Ky lake
but have not been bowled over with welcome by locals. On the other hand the
Nashville and surrounding area is absolutely the best for a zilliion
reasons. Joe and Charles can add their 2cents as well. 30 mins from the city
or burbs you're in country with tons of hunting and fishing etc. Can't beat
it in our opinion. Some debate over eastern Tenn and Central, but we think
either is a gold mine for someone looking to relocate.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

Well, on August 16th, bright and early in the a.m., we left Rhinelander and
headed south, ending the day in Eddyville Kentucky. We poked around the
area and it has potential.

I did locate two properties in Tennessee that my wife and I were interested
in, but after seeing them "in person," we found that pictures and
descriptions on the internet don't always show the whole picture. One place
had great potential, but the neighborhood was kind of a cross between a
trailer park and a junk yard! Coupled with the fact that there was no cell
phone reception nor any liklihood of getting a high speed internet
connection ruled out both properties as I can't go back to a dial-up
connection!

We spent some time with Joe from Secret Weapon and his lovely wife, enjoying
some grilled buffalo steaks and wonderful conversation. Thanks Joe for
letting us invade your home.

We continued along, heading east through Tennessee, checking out
communities, various lakes and talking with many different chamber of
commerces along the way. LOL, we found some places that have great
potential for locations to move to, we also found some places that were
down-right scary!

Central Kentucky also has some places that we're interested in checking out
in greater detail.

Regardless of whether we live in Kentucky or Tennessee, I HAVE to have some
decent bass fishing within a 20 minute drive, and when we were checking
things out, that was one of the criteria.

Now Janet and I have to wade through all of the information we've
accumulated during this seven day, 3,200 mile trip, figuring out where we're
likely to end up.

It was a fun trip, and even with Janet and I living in each other's back
pockets 24/7 for a week, amazingly, we're still talking to each other! :-)

Old August 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jerry Barton

Well maybe when you decide where it's gonna' be, we can have the Mid-Tenn or
a Mid-KY tourney revived, or we can have a Mid-Tenn and a Mid-KY.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message
[...]

:-)